Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.com

Unread 04-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #121
iowaneedshills
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My jeep has 67k. They are allowing me to transfer the powertrain warranty (7yr, 70,000mi) from the first owner.

The lady at Chrysler said they would most likely cover it even if the warranty had expired.

As ElJaynocibuR said, just keep climbing the ladder. They log all this on the file associated with the VIN when you call, so if they see you called multiple times, they're more likely to do something about it.

I managed to get mine back together and the timing close enough that I could limp it in. You can hear the gears whine/grind as they mesh under load, and if I were to give it gas they'd jump and mess up the timing completely.

Now I just have to get the dealer to work with Chrysler...

iowaneedshills is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #122
tshively
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I managed to get mine back together and the timing close enough that I could limp it in. You can hear the gears whine/grind as they mesh under load, and if I were to give it gas they'd jump and mess up the timing completely.
It suprises me that your jeep even runs.

Dealer called and told me to bring mine in on monday. I hope all goes well?
tshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #123
Nick B
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country1 View Post
Man, that's exactly what mine looks like with only 7k on it. My cam shaft gear has the same rough/chipped looking end edge to it too.

Monday can't get hear fast enough for me. I need to get this thing in and taken care of. She's getting hauled in on the trailer too. Hope that makes an impression on them about how serious this problem is!

Two trips back and you still have an oil leak?! That's the kind of stuff that I'm worried about!
Keep us informed about what happens at the dealer . My 06 only has 5600 miles on it but the engine build date is the same as yours; 4-06 .
Nick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:41 AM   #124
Woodenya
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Dropped her off at Carmax this morning.
Said they would give me a call later today giving me their exact course of action.....
'06 TJ [B]Rubi[/B] (Light Metalic Khaki) 6sp, Bought 3-10 w/6500 miles. 31 MTR's, UCF alum UHC T-case & engine skid w/ LoPro, Rokmen gas tank & steer gear skid, Ridler dif covers F/R, Warn 8274-50, Optima Yellow top, Pro Comp front 3/4" spacers, Currie 1" BL, Bomb Proof MML, Novak cable shifter, AGR Super Box 2, Warn rear bumper/tire carrier, Rubi locker mod/pumps moved to engine bay, OBA. Build to come...
Woodenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #125
Woodenya
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well, just got a call from the service manager at Carmax and my initial gut feeling from last weeks is proving to be accurate. The man tells me that the oil pressure is good, they hear no strange noises out of the engine and that the wear on the CPS "doesn't look that bad".... Said my jeep falls into the category with the updated CSP... I said if that's the case why is it showing abnormal wear? He tries to say it isn't showing abnormal wear....
Bottom line is he's going to try and call over to the Chrysler dealer and talk to the tech that looked at my CSP a to see what he has to say about it. Said he would call me back tomorrow with an update.... So far Carmax service hasn't been too good despite what I've heard!
'06 TJ [B]Rubi[/B] (Light Metalic Khaki) 6sp, Bought 3-10 w/6500 miles. 31 MTR's, UCF alum UHC T-case & engine skid w/ LoPro, Rokmen gas tank & steer gear skid, Ridler dif covers F/R, Warn 8274-50, Optima Yellow top, Pro Comp front 3/4" spacers, Currie 1" BL, Bomb Proof MML, Novak cable shifter, AGR Super Box 2, Warn rear bumper/tire carrier, Rubi locker mod/pumps moved to engine bay, OBA. Build to come...
Unread 04-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #126
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've been thinking about this problem. it seems as if the culprit is that new style oil pump drive assembly and Chrysler hasn't came up with a good viable fix and I doubt they will seeing as it only affects 2 model years that are no longer in production. the only real long term solution I see is an engine swap. a V8 would definitely work but may be out of many peoples budget and expertise. would a 4.0 swap to an older engine with a different style oil pump drive assembly work? the intake and exhaust could be kept but change out the block to say an 03? is that even possible? or is it as simple as changing the oil pump drive assembly to an 03 part number? just wondering what our (05-06 owners) options are to obtaining long term reliability out of our engines.
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #127
iowaneedshills
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My dealer called and left a message that said they hadn't heard from Chrysler. They then claimed that they called Chrysler and Chrysler had no record of me ever calling them. The dealership wanted me to come pick up my jeep.

I had two phone calls from my case manager this morning and I have a case number, so obviously I'm in contact with Chrysler/Jeep. Not to mention the jeep is still under the powertrain warranty, so they should fix it anyway, not tell me to come pick it up!

Sounds like they just don't want to spend the time to fix it.
I'm absolutely livid and letting them know about it.
iowaneedshills is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #128
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Pulled mine this morning and it has some good wear on it. So, I installed it back in and somehow I did not get it put in correctly. Started the Jeep and it was missing bad. I pulled it back out and turned it 180 degrees. Now the Jeep is in limp mode with P0016 and P0344 codes. I took it to 4 different people with scan tools and no one could clear it out. The codes keep coming back. I found out that the dealer is the only one who can clear the code. Dropped it off tonight. Hopefully it will get done tomorrow.
Unread 04-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #129
ElJaynocibuR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimitedlou View Post
Pulled mine this morning and it has some good wear on it. So, I installed it back in and somehow I did not get it put in correctly. Started the Jeep and it was missing bad. I pulled it back out and turned it 180 degrees. Now the Jeep is in limp mode with P0016 and P0344 codes. I took it to 4 different people with scan tools and no one could clear it out. The codes keep coming back. I found out that the dealer is the only one who can clear the code. Dropped it off tonight. Hopefully it will get done tomorrow.
It started, and was running bad so you reinstalld it 180 degrees??

You should have marked it better. I tried to emphasize the importance of those markings.

That's the first I've heard about the dealer being the "only one" who can clear the code. If you would have just put #1 cyl. on tdc of the compression stroke, you could have reinstalled the camshaft synchronizer by lining up the hole in the rotor and housing. You could have cleared the codes by disconnnecting the battery.
Unread 04-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #130
svandell
2005 LJ Wrangler 

And here I am thinking everything is fine on my 05 LJ with 16k miles on it... Its better to find problems before they happen. I guess I better check the gear!
svandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #131
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJaynocibuR View Post
It started, and was running bad so you reinstalld it 180 degrees??

You should have marked it better. I tried to emphasize the importance of those markings.

That's the first I've heard about the dealer being the "only one" who can clear the code. If you would have just put #1 cyl. on tdc of the compression stroke, you could have reinstalled the camshaft synchronizer by lining up the hole in the rotor and housing. You could have cleared the codes by disconnnecting the battery.
I have no idea how I got it wrong when I marked it, but I did. The bottom of the shaft will only fit all the way down in 2 positions. As soon as I started it for the first time I know it was out of time. I immediately pulled it and installed 180 degrees from the previous installation. It started and ran fine then, but I had the CEL on. I decided to drive it to the dealership and check on the TSB. I pulled out of the driveway and it started missing. I backed back in and pulled the negative cable for about 15 minutes. Still same problem. So, I pulled it again for 40 minutes and still same problem. So, I pulled it again, and started searching the forum. I ran across a thread that someone had to have the dealer reset the codes from the same problem. If you read the TSB it states you have to have the dealer super scanner tool after the TSB is performed. I have spent all day on this thing. I guess not paying close attention is going to cost me some bling.
Unread 04-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #132
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

you should have moved the oil pump drive slot slightly cause as you remove the OPD the gears spin and the oil pump moves. moving it about a quarter turn or less allows the OPD to spin back to it's original position. it may take a few tries but thats why you mark your OPD position so you can put it back exactly where it was
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #133
ElJaynocibuR

^Just what he said. You can move the oil pump with a flat head screwdriver.

You can pull the negative battery cable all you want, but if you have the camshaft synchronizer in the wrong position it will give you the code everytime.
Unread 04-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #134
Woodenya
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I had to realign my oil pump with a screw driver too. It took a few tries, but I finally got her. No codes either...

Update on my drive failure... I took mine to Carmax because I still had a 30 day warranty. (I just purchased the TJ). At first Carmax seemed like they we're going to take care of the problem, but that soon changed. After going back and forth with them for most of the week, the end result is them wanting to replace the cam position sensor only. They aren't willing to replace the cam shaft even though there is abnormal wear on the gear. The service manager even told me that the new CPS will "just get tore up again". So it's really ridicules that they won't do the whole job... He also told me that there is a "nation wide back order" on the CPS and the est. ship date for one was 4/28/10.... Maybe Jeep has figured out that their part is still failing and are doing a redesign??... Anyway, I pulled the trailer to Carmax yesterday, loaded my Jeep up and took her home. She’s now washed again and safe in my garage. Bottom line with Carmax is, they’re still just a used car dealer no matter what they try to make you believe before the sale. Also, don’t put too much faith in their 30 day “we’ll make it right” warranty. Their service department has a few things to learn about customer service too!

When I gave up on Carmax I called the 800 Chrysler number. Explained my problem, told them about the E05 TSB and this thread. They gave me a case # and said I would receive a call from a case manager by close of business the next day. About 2:30 yesterday I got a call from a nice lady and she said that they were willing to help cover the costs of the repair (she wouldn't say how much though), but I had to take the vehicle into my dealer and get it "properly" diagnose. Told her I would call and set up an appointment and she said she would call me back the next day to follow up on my appointment date.

Hung up from her and called Rob (my service writer at Jeep/Dodge dealer) and filled him in on everything that I’d been through (He was the 1st person I talked to about this last week and he advised me to try Carmax 1st). He said " from my experience it sounds like Chrysler is going to take care of this for you". ( I hope so!) We set an appointment for Monday morning and he said that he would follow the instructions on the TSB. Also that he would most likely be on the phone back and forth with Chrysler most of the day Monday but, by the end of the day we would have a full answer on what needs to be done and what Chrysler would cover.

Give you all another update next week (week 3 of dealing with this and not being able to drive my new Jeep....)
Unread 04-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #135
svandell
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Pulled my drive gear as well. Here is the picture. Does the wear look excessive for 16k miles on it? It seems like the answer is yes but I would like your opinions. The gear on the camshaft does not look cracked or too warn. My LJ was built in 3/1/05.

svandell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.