Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-31-2010, 10:45 PM   #106
iowaneedshills
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I literally just broke down in the middle of a 14 hour drive this weekend while I was trying to move. A mechanic and I tried replacing the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors (it had been throwing that code for a while) and nothing worked. We found that my timing was 30 degrees off. yep, 30. even after resetting the timing, it jumps around and still doesn't run. Pulled the oil pump drive and the teeth look horrible. My build date is february 2005, so right at the end of the problem dates.

What I don't get is why wasn't the gear on the oil pump drive made of brass so it didn't tear up the camshaft

Who did everyone call to get Chrysler to pay for it? I called them today and they said it wouldn't be covered under a warranty or anything like that...

As it is now, i'm out $800 for the Uhaul i needed to get the thing the rest of the way. I hope I'm not out more!

iowaneedshills is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 10:59 PM   #107
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaneedshills View Post
Who did everyone call to get Chrysler to pay for it? I called them today and they said it wouldn't be covered under a warranty or anything like that...
What do you mean "a warranty or anything like that"? Your standard warranty has expired. If you have the extended power train warranty, it certainly is covered. If not, you're out of luck.

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you fully understand the situation."
AZJeepNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 06:49 AM   #108
ElJaynocibuR

There is no warranty, there is no "recall", there IS a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for this problem. You need to call Chrysler back, they know about this poblem, and you need to insist that they cover you under the E05 (I believe that's the number they use) TSB. They probably won't cover the $800 uhaul, but theyll cover almost $1000 to fix the problem
Unread 04-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #109
iowaneedshills
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The lady's comment was that because it wasn't a recall, it wouldn't be paid for, period. She said it didn't matter if it was a TSB when I brought it up. Guess I'll try again and see if I get someone that is a little more agreeable...
Unread 04-01-2010, 08:25 AM   #110
tshively
2006 LJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE][
The lady's comment was that because it wasn't a recall, it wouldn't be paid for, period. She said it didn't matter if it was a TSB when I brought it up. Guess I'll try again and see if I get someone that is a little more agreeable...
/QUOTE]

This is a bunch of B.S. ^^^! I am now in my fourth day waiting to hear back from the dealer. The dealer is telling me they have a call in to Chrysler and that they are waiting to hear back from their rep.??
tshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #111
ElJaynocibuR

Quote:
Here is how my conversation with Chrysler went down (in a nutshell):

Me: I'm calling because I'm having a problem with my oil pump drive gear and its giving me check engine lights and my jeep won't run. Chrysler has a TSB for it and I want to see about getting the repairs covered

Chrysler Rep.:What is the last 8 of the vin and what's the mileage?

Me: ******** and 65k miles

CR: Well I have a TSB for an oil pump drive gear but yours does not qualify.

Me: I know it doesn't, that's why I'm having to call you. It has the problem but was built a few months outside of the TSB range. Yall should cover this just like yall did for the 2005's because obviously the problem is bigger than you're leading owners to believe. What do I need to do to get it covered?

CR: You will need to have it diagnosed by a certified Chrysler/Jeep dealership.

Me: Do I have to pay for the diagnosis?

CR: Yes

Me:Are you going to guarantee that yall will cover it if they agree that it is teh oil pump drive gear

CR: No

Me: So i may be out $100 for the diagnostics?

(Fast Forward, my dealership didn't charge me)

CR: You will be contacted in the next 1 or 2 business days by a Chrysler Rep. and he will handle your case.

I took it to the dealership, they diagnosed it that same day. In the next few days I heard back from the Chrysler Rep and he told me they would cover all but $100.

It's now fixed, no more check engine lights or bucking, spitting, and sputtering. All of that only cost me some time on the phone, 2 trips to the dealership, and $100.
Unread 04-01-2010, 08:39 AM   #112
ElJaynocibuR

Quote:
Ask them why they covered mine and won't cover yours. Ask them if it's because you're (insert color/ethnicity here)
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #113
iceman8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

ElJay,

Glad you got it worked out. Any leaks after re-assy. of the engine?
iceman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #114
ElJaynocibuR

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman8 View Post
ElJay,

Glad you got it worked out. Any leaks after re-assy. of the engine?
It's funny that you ask that. It's been back twice because I have an oil leak from the front of the oil pan. It's right where the timing cover meets the oil pan.

I've read of some people having leaks because the tech forgets to install the gasket on the camshaft synchronizer. That makes a huge mess. Mine is more like oil seepage.
Unread 04-01-2010, 09:40 PM   #115
iowaneedshills
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I called them back (this time the "vehicle complaint" option, not the "warranty information" line). They offered to fix it right away without any hesitation, under the powertrain warranty. She also said she'd move it to their "upper level" customer service department to see if they could cover whatever the warranty did not.

I took pictures today, too. Here's the wear on my oil pump drive and the camshaft. Doesn't look like much, but it's enough to make the teeth on the gears jump and throw my timing way off....
jeep-problem-02-oil-pump-drive-sm.jpg   jeep-problem-01-camshaft-sm.jpg  
Unread 04-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #116
ElJaynocibuR

You got a great pic of the camshaft^. I was never able to get my camera to focus in on it.

I'm glad Chrysler is taking care of it.
Unread 04-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #117
Nick B
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJaynocibuR View Post
You got a great pic of the camshaft^. I was never able to get my camera to focus in on it.

I'm glad Chrysler is taking care of it.
ElJay:With 65,000 miles I'm surprised they covered you instead of saying: "sorry" .
Nick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #118
Nick B
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I called them back (this time the "vehicle complaint" option, not the "warranty information" line). They offered to fix it right away without any hesitation, under the powertrain warranty. She also said she'd move it to their "upper level" customer service department to see if they could cover whatever the warranty did not.

I took pictures today, too. Here's the wear on my oil pump drive and the camshaft. Doesn't look like much, but it's enough to make the teeth on the gears jump and throw my timing way off....
WOW ! That's some serious wear . What's your mileage again ?
Nick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #119
Woodenya
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Man, that's exactly what mine looks like with only 7k on it. My cam shaft gear has the same rough/chipped looking end edge to it too.

Monday can't get hear fast enough for me. I need to get this thing in and taken care of. She's getting hauled in on the trailer too. Hope that makes an impression on them about how serious this problem is!

Two trips back and you still have an oil leak?! That's the kind of stuff that I'm worried about!
'06 TJ [B]Rubi[/B] (Light Metalic Khaki) 6sp, Bought 3-10 w/6500 miles. 31 MTR's, UCF alum UHC T-case & engine skid w/ LoPro, Rokmen gas tank & steer gear skid, Ridler dif covers F/R, Warn 8274-50, Optima Yellow top, Pro Comp front 3/4" spacers, Currie 1" BL, Bomb Proof MML, Novak cable shifter, AGR Super Box 2, Warn rear bumper/tire carrier, Rubi locker mod/pumps moved to engine bay, OBA. Build to come...
Woodenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #120
ElJaynocibuR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
ElJay:With 65,000 miles I'm surprised they covered you instead of saying: "sorry" .
I was anticipating them saying that, but I wasn't ready to take "sorry" or "no" for an answer. I've found if you don't get the answer you want, you just "climb the ladder". By that I mean you asked to speak to their supervisor, or their supervisor's supervisor, etc...

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.