Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 78 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-02-2010, 02:17 PM   #1156
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
What is the large cut out area on the right side of the first picture? Could that be used to insert the zerk? I assume not but it would make things a lot easier!
That is the stock grease port. It can be reused as a grease point, but when the OPDA is installed it is facing the engine. This makes it very difficult to access.

Unread 12-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #1157
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Willydigger, what happened with your idea of extending the opening in post 1037 on page 70?
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #1158
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Willydigger, what happened with your idea of extending the opening in post 1037 on page 70?
The machine shop still has my OPDA. I don't want to rush them because they doing it for free. The initial plan was to use the existing stock grease fill location and add some tubing or some other method to move the zerk to a more accessible location. Since then FOG had mentioned drilling a hole in the front (easier access) area of the OPDA, below the LDI text in the LDI label. I am still waiting for the machine shop to finish the OPDA. It may be overkill, but cutting in the oil groove in the lower bushing is something I wanted to add.

Now that I've seen the side wall opposite of the stock grease location I am relieved to see how much metal is there. Aluminum is soft and I was weary of adding a zerk to a flimsy wall. I thought the grease reservoir was larger. I'll mock up some of the new pics tonight and repost my plan.
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #1159
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Willy, you could use the existing grease port and simply run a small tube to a remote/ more accessible location for the zerk which could be mounted on a bracket.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #1160
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

How is the existing port plugged?
Unread 12-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #1161
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How is the existing port plugged?
Thin metal plug.
Unread 12-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #1162
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
Willy, you could use the existing grease port and simply run a small tube to a remote/ more accessible location for the zerk which could be mounted on a bracket.
Six in one/half a dozen in the other. I still want to drill into the bushing since the stock grease port is suspected as a fail point. I would have to drill and tap the stock port and do the work of installing a tube, etc. Drilling and tapping the front seems simpler. Seeing how thick the wall is adds some reassurance.

The existing port has a press in plug. There is a pic somewhere in this thread. Once we discover a workable solution (meaning pics and step-by-step instructions) we should have a write-up thread separate from this thread.

EDIT:

Unread 12-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #1163
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufmar View Post
Following the great advice from Willydigger, BigBob, Fog etc...I took on adding a zerk to the upper bushing area. However, even with Willydiggers nice color drawing of the assembly and zerk location, I still had a hard time visualizing the 2nd hole and purpose (180 degrees from the factory plug). In particular, only drilling through the "outer wall." So I cut my old OPDA upper bushing in half so I could get a good visual. So in case anyone else is a visual person like myself, I added some pics. Please ignore the vertical cuts in the inner bushing.

What is the seal made from? Metal, plastic, rubber? Do you have a pic? Was there any noticeable gap between the seal and upper bushing? Was there any grease/lube in the reservoir?
Unread 12-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #1164
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
What is the seal made from? Metal, plastic, rubber? Do you have a pic? Was there any noticeable gap between the seal and upper bushing? Was there any grease/lube in the reservoir?
If you look in the new OPDA it appears to be a standard 'rubber' shaft seal.
Unread 12-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #1165
tufmar
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Wow, those pics are awesome! Do you have a shot of the seal below the upper bushing? Where the grease is supposed to leak out?

The grease reservoir is smaller than what I thought.

I tried to show the two different angles of the upper seal. Half of the seal got chopped during grinding but you can atleast see it.
tufmar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #1166
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just so I understand.

1. Is the groove in the red oval from your cut-off wheel?
2. Is the gap in the green oval where the grease is supposed to seep in?
3. Is the pink/fuchsia/magenta line the grease path to the shaft?
opda-dissect5a.jpg  
Unread 12-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #1167
tufmar
1998 ZJ 

The seal is metal with a rubber seat similar to that of an inner axle seal. My resevoir had some nasty yellow paste that seemed to be very dry, almost like pie dough. I did exaclty what BigBob did as practice on my old unit...I drilled out the factory plug and then a small hole through bushing itself and then drilled/tapped 180 degrees on the other side but only through the outer wall.

When I hit the zerk with the grease gun, it flushed out the old yellow grease through the factory plug hole.

I will try to get some pics of the bottom bushing/seal area since that area is still in question.
Unread 12-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #1168
tufmar
1998 ZJ 

1. Red oval--Yes that is a slit from the cut off wheel--that would be the solid bushing.
2. Green oval--Don't know exactly, I added more pictures that might help.
3. Pink--Yes that would be the path to the shaft itself from the factory plug to the small hole in bushing.

I added a couple more pictures here...I tried to show a cross section of the upper bushing assembly. I am still trying to figure out exactly how much of a gap there is between the seal and the bottom of the bushing. Since the shaft has that play in it (up and down), it is hard to estimate where everything actually seats.

Unread 12-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #1169
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The shaft is driven upward when the engine is running.
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #1170
JBWood05TJ
Cut to Fit-Paint to Match

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
Yes the crown gear is also a good alternative.

FOG
Thanks Fog. One last question (I hope). You initially put the ZERK at the factory plug location, and then moved it around the housing. I am going to drill the hole for the ZERK in your second location. Is there a need to remove the factory plug and install a grub screw there, or can I leave it alone? I guess what I'm getting at is will grease pumped in at the ZERK dislodge the factory plug?

Thanks again for all your work and research on this deal.
JBWood05TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.