Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 77 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #1141
dickyson
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
I've already said I dunno how many times what the permanent fix is but I will say it again.

1.Buy a new OPDA

2.Install a zerk fitting to facilitate the ability to lubricate the upper bushing withe grease.

3.Remove the gear on the new CPS and install a Napa Echlin high quality gear.

4.Run only a ACEA rated high ZDDP oil IE Mobil One 5W-40

I've done this with mine and 3 other Jeepers who had wear issues with their CPS gears. 2 of them have already put 20K miles on their new CPS assembly and there isn't a trace of abnormal wear.

Everyone needs to stop waiting for Chrysler to come save them with a redesigned part because its not going to happen. Its easy and cheap to solve this problem and make your engine reliable again you just need to take a little initiative. All its gonna cost you is a new OPDA, a gear and a pack of zerks. Heck you can have a permanent long term fix for under $200 bucks.

It cracks me up how everyone here will do all kinds of mods to their Jeep but when it comes to something so simple just about everyone ether says they are going to wait on Chrysler and hold their breath or just keep replacing CPS units.

FOG
Hi Fog,

would you mind posting the Napa Echlin high quality gear part # if you have it? I have a 2005 TJ so it might be the same.

thanks

dickyson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #1142
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've already said I dunno how many times what the permanent fix is but I will say it again.

1.Buy a new OPDA

2.Install a zerk fitting to facilitate the ability to lubricate the upper bushing withe grease.

I've done this with mine and 3 other Jeepers who had wear issues with their CPS gears. 2 of them have already put 20K miles on their new CPS assembly and there isn't a trace of abnormal wear.

Everyone needs to stop waiting for Chrysler to come save them with a redesigned part because its not going to happen. Its easy and cheap to solve this problem and make your engine reliable again you just need to take a little initiative. All its gonna cost you is a new OPDA, a gear and a pack of zerks. Heck you can have a permanent long term fix for under $200 bucks.

It cracks me up how everyone here will do all kinds of mods to their Jeep but when it comes to something so simple just about everyone ether says they are going to wait on Chrysler and hold their breath or just keep replacing CPS units.

FOG
Unless you have an engineering degree and have tested this method and posted results, people are going to be a little apprehensive about doing what some dude on a jeep message board did. Especially those that don't feel mechanically comfortable doing it themselves. Bolting on some aftermarket crap and modifying something that determines whether your engine will explode are two different things. And no offense if this is working for you FOG but this fix seems a bit ridiculous and there has to be a better way, ie you need to use this motor oil, this special grease from a special shop, etc.

Also, what is the part number for the gear from NAPA?
JeepScrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #1143
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

1.Buy a new OPDA

FOG
Unless you have an engineering degree and have tested this method and posted results, people are going to be a little apprehensive about doing what some dude on a jeep message board did. Especially those that don't feel mechanically comfortable doing it themselves. Bolting on some aftermarket crap and modifying something that determines whether your engine will explode are two different things. And no offense if this is working for you FOG but this fix seems a bit ridiculous and there has to be a better way, ie you need to use this motor oil, this special grease from a special shop, etc.

JeepScrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #1144
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
1.Buy a new OPDA

1. You have to do this anyway. No argument. $100-$120.
2. Relatively easy to do with simple components. $20.
3. Debatable, but if it requires no modification, why not?
4. Highly recommended with no substantial drawback. It's debatable the effect on the catalytic converter, but engine care trumps a catalytic converter. $50 an oil change. But it protects more than the OPDA.

Looking at the bmp image, if you grease the top and make sure the bottom has good oil, the binding will stop. I don't believe the camshaft gear or the OPDA gear has any substantial differences than earlier models with a higher level of success.

You can do nothing and replace a $100 part every few years. You can make a few simple changes and monitor it. Maybe you'll buy some time, but the expensive replacements have to be purchased either way.

Barring that, get a new vehicle.
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #1145
bustedknuckle
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepScrap View Post

Scrap, You could always do what the Chrysler Engineers do....Check and replace part as needed.

Thanks FOG. I have been following this thread for long time and you have put a lot of time into this. I will be doing this simple mod this weekend.
bustedknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #1146
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Are these the correct part numbers for the 2005-2006 OPDA and gasket?

53010624AC OPDA
J3181288 GASKET
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #1147
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post

53010624AC OPDA
J3181288 GASKET
yes they are.
Unread 12-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #1148
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepScrap View Post

LOL I am guessing the bozo or bozos whoever came up with this OPDG have degrees. I imagine they did testing. They fail. Hopefully Fog has the same degree as me. I went to UCHK (University of California Hard Knocks) I have a degree in figuring crap out and sometimes making mistakes in doing so. I totally agree with Fog on the simple modification to the OPDG and am thankful he shared this info. Mechanically speaking, this is a very simple modification. All you are doing is improving the lubrication to the top bushing, not changing what the CPS does. I can see no relation to improving lubrication and having the engine "blow up"!! LOL I can see having your engine bite the dust if the OPDG goes bad and metal is cascaded into the crankcase as the gears strip out.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #1149
JBWood05TJ
Cut to Fit-Paint to Match

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

1.Buy a new OPDA

I ordered one of the NAPA gears online last weekend. But on Monday or Tuesday of this week I got an email informing me that the gear was unavailable and that NAPA could not tell me when it would be available, so they cancelled my order. I have been out of town on business this week, so I have not checked my local NAPA store. If they can't get it for me, is the Crown gear going to be a 'close' alternative?
JBWood05TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #1150
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post

53010624AC OPDA
J3181288 GASKET
I just went and looked at the picture I took of mine awhile back and the part number is the same. The newer ones are the same part number with a different revision?

Unread 12-02-2010, 12:48 PM   #1151
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWood05TJ View Post
If they can't get it for me, is the Crown gear going to be a 'close' alternative?
Yes the crown gear is also a good alternative.

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #1152
tufmar
1998 ZJ 

Following the great advice from Willydigger, BigBob, Fog etc...I took on adding a zerk to the upper bushing area. However, even with Willydiggers nice color drawing of the assembly and zerk location, I still had a hard time visualizing the 2nd hole and purpose (180 degrees from the factory plug). In particular, only drilling through the "outer wall." So I cut my old OPDA upper bushing in half so I could get a good visual. So in case anyone else is a visual person like myself, I added some pics. Please ignore the vertical cuts in the inner bushing.

tufmar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #1153
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, those pics are awesome! Do you have a shot of the seal below the upper bushing? Where the grease is supposed to leak out?

The grease reservoir is smaller than what I thought.
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #1154
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

What is the large cut out area on the right side of the first picture? Could that be used to insert the zerk? I assume not but it would make things a lot easier!
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #1155
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Ive decided on my plan of action. I'm going to bring pressurized engine oil to the upper bearing in the OPDA.
I will remove the seal at the bottom of the upper bearing and make a seal housing for the top. This will require trimming the top of the bearing to allow room for the seal thickness unless it can be driven deeper into the housing. Approximately 0.125" will need to go.
I will then add a tee fitting at the oil pressure sensor and run a stainless braided supply line to either the grease port in the housing or to the seal housing on top of the bearing with appropriately placed holes through the bearing to the shaft.
This will allow a predictable flow of oil to the upper bearing which will drain down to the lower bear and back to the sump.

... or I'm just really bored today after attaching a Hurst shift lever to an '85 BMW shifter console just because my buddy Todd wanted to piss off the BMW purists.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.