Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 76 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #1126
WheelinOK
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry I'm not reading all this for myself, I kinda got lost in the arguing. Thank y'all for the help.

What will I have to replace? I'm not scared to wrench, but this is myDD so it's gonna have to be done in an evening. I'm not bad, just inexperienced at working on Jeeps.

WheelinOK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #1127
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Unless your a professional mechanic with a shop full of tools your not going to be able to replace your camshaft and lifters in a night.

You can stick in another OPDA but from what you described the camshaft gear is already trashed and the new OPDA gear won't last long. You also have to realize that the camshaft gear drive the OPDA which drives your oil pump. So driving it with the opda and camshaft gears failing is asking for a MUCH MORE SERIOUS engine damage.

Replacing a camshaft and lifters in a 4.0 is not a hard job, but allot of work. You have to pull the head which requires removing the manifolds. Then you have to pull the camshaft which means either have to pull the engine or pull the radiator/condenser and front grill off.

Like I said its not hard but its allot of work and you have to have allot of attention to detail.

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #1128
WheelinOK
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, that's more than I want to get into. If I pay to have this done how much am I looking at? Just a ball park? Also, how long do I have to get this done before I have a serious issue? I've had the Jeep about 2 months not. It has about 72K miles now.
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #1129
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
Unless your a professional mechanic with a shop full of tools your not going to be able to replace your camshaft and lifters in a night.

You can stick in another OPDA but from what you described the camshaft gear is already trashed and the new OPDA gear won't last long. You also have to realize that the camshaft gear drive the OPDA which drives your oil pump. So driving it with the opda and camshaft gears failing is asking for a MUCH MORE SERIOUS engine damage.

Replacing a camshaft and lifters in a 4.0 is not a hard job, but allot of work. You have to pull the head which requires removing the manifolds. Then you have to pull the camshaft which means either have to pull the engine or pull the radiator/condenser and front grill off.

Like I said its not hard but its allot of work and you have to have allot of attention to detail.

FOG
Could it just be the OPDA gear? Mine never got that bad. If he pulls the OPDA he should be able to see the camshaft gear and determine the damage to the OPDA. FOG has a lot more experience with this than me.

What symptom indicates a camshaft gear failure?
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #1130
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Could it just be the OPDA gear? Mine never got that bad. If he pulls the OPDA he should be able to see the camshaft gear and determine the damage to the OPDA. FOG has a lot more experience with this than me.

What symptom indicates a camshaft gear failure?
As soon as you start throwing codes and getting bucking that means the CPS gear is not longer staying at the same speed at the camshaft.

The only way this happens is if both the camshaft AND cps gear have worn down to the point of stripping. I've seen several that had the same symptoms and have yet to see one with only CPS gear damage. The mechanics of how the gears mesh wouldn't llow wear on just one gear.

As the CPS gear gets worn down it allows the camshaft gear tips to grind agaisnt the side of the CPS gear teeth. As this happens it narrows the camshaft gear down more and more till finally the tip of the tooth is too thin and gets ripped off by the load.

When this happens you get the check engine light and the bucking.

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #1131
WheelinOK
2005 TJ Wrangler 

How much money and how much down time am I looking at to have a shop do this?

How long until my engine implodes?
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:00 PM   #1132
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Honestly I think your looking in the $1000-$1500 range from a private mechanic or a good bit more from the dealership. I haven't priced it myself but with the time and parts that's a off the top of my head ball park.

As far when is your engine going to implode. As I said earlier that gear that is stripping out turns the OPDA which also turns the oil pump. Right now the gear is probably at the point where it keeps skipping a couple of teeth every couple of seconds which cause the bucking and check engine light.

Because the gear isn't totally stripped (which is a educated guess at this point) your engine hasn't been oil starved yet. HOWEVER if you continue to drive it the gear will totally strip and the engine will suffer oil starvation and you will be looking at a complete rebuild or a whole new engine.

FOG
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #1133
WheelinOK
2005 TJ Wrangler 

that sucks. drive roughly 600 miles a week and between school and work i'm busy 7 days a week. I hope I can get it fixed. It's a ticking time bomb right now. I've put 4000 miles on it and no telling how many the previous owner put on it while it was showing signs of failure...
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #1134
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

With 72K you're out of warranty.

Based on what FOG has said, I wouldn't drive it. Pull the OPDA and look at the gear. Shine a light into the engine and take a look at the camshaft gear. If you can get pics post them so we can see what you're dealing with.

Was there any squealing like a bad belt before it failed? I remember seeing a pic of a broken OPDA gear and there was no warning. How long has it been acting up?
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #1135
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So is the bottom line with this OPDA issue just to stay on top of it and keep checking and replacing the assembly as required? Should my awesomely American engineered "bullet proof" 4.0 I6 motor last with this method? I'm guessing that if you get to it before you start bucking and throwing codes, the camshaft gear wear will be modest and a new OPDA will get you up and running until the next time you notice wear on the unit?

Man I wish someone would engineer a permanant fix for this BS.
JeepScrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #1136
bertaman80
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know if anyones posted this yet but when Chrysler Does the fix these jeeps is the problem solved or are they just replacing the parts with the same parts they originally put in new? could still lead to problem again? I had a new cam installed and ODPA gear from the dealer about 30,000 miles ago, Everything seems ok now but I am wondering if Chrysler has done anything to fix the problem not just put in new parts and call it good
bertaman80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #1137
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepScrap View Post
Man I wish someone would engineer a permanent fix for this BS.
I've already said I dunno how many times what the permanent fix is but I will say it again.

1.Buy a new OPDA

2.Install a zerk fitting to facilitate the ability to lubricate the upper bushing withe grease.

3.Remove the gear on the new CPS and install a Napa Echlin high quality gear.

4.Run only a ACEA rated high ZDDP oil IE Mobil One 5W-40

I've done this with mine and 3 other Jeepers who had wear issues with their CPS gears. 2 of them have already put 20K miles on their new CPS assembly and there isn't a trace of abnormal wear.

Everyone needs to stop waiting for Chrysler to come save them with a redesigned part because its not going to happen. Its easy and cheap to solve this problem and make your engine reliable again you just need to take a little initiative. All its gonna cost you is a new OPDA, a gear and a pack of zerks. Heck you can have a permanent long term fix for under $200 bucks.

It cracks me up how everyone here will do all kinds of mods to their Jeep but when it comes to something so simple just about everyone ether says they are going to wait on Chrysler and hold their breath or just keep replacing CPS units.

FOG
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:40 AM   #1138
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Fog,
Please verify the distributor gear is a DG-402 from Napa.

IIRC, you said in a prior post that one should just consider this a mod not unlike other stuff we have done. The price of $200 would make this one of the less expensive mods I have done. It has a huge benefit, unlike some I have done. I fully agree with that idea.
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #1139
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Putting armor on a jeep is a little less intimidating than making an engine modification. I think that's the hold up, at least for me it was. Once you start to get a good understanding of things it becomes less overwhelming. I have learned a lot from this thread, so for those of you needing help, you're in the right place.

As of 12/01/10, Chrysler will only replace the part with the same part. There is no upgrade.

The reports that only some of these units fail prematurely is enough to check it. Unfortunately most people will not suspect a problem until it squeaks or there is a more catastrophic symptom. I didn't pay any attention to this thread prior to my OPDA squeaking.

I consider myself lucky that mine didn't totally fail and I plan to follow FOG's recommendations.
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #1140
Jp90Talon
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
I remember seeing a pic of a broken OPDA gear and there was no warning.
That would be mine

Jp90Talon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.