Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 03-31-2010, 07:59 AM   #91
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I feel your pain as well. But since I love this jeep so much and if Chrysler does not do anything to resolve this I guess I will have to put a Chevy LS2 motor and a 700r4 tranny in it, That will take care of the problem. And to make things worse I have a Rubicrawler on the way that I ordered a week before I found out about these issues. Hopefully the dealer will get this resolved for me. I will keep everybody posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman8 View Post
I just pulled mine and surprise surprise. I have similar wear as shown in the pics above posted by tshively. I'd say mine is about two-thirds LESS than what he has. Same pattern. The gear on the engine side did not look as bad as on the shaft. Below is my data and FYI, there is no engine code stamped on the flat machined block surface between cyl. 3/4 as indicated by others. Instead, I have a sticker on the front of the valve cover, it has an engine date code of 6019.

2006 Rubicon only 18,000 miles
Build date 03-06
Engine date code 6019

Cam Sensor part # 53010624AC
below the part no. is # 106012-REV-E

The Cam Sensor shaft rotated freely, oil was getting all the way to the top of the shaft during operation. I'm having NO drivability issues nor codes thrown. HOWEVER...there is obvious play developing between the Cam sensor gear and the Camshaft gear. I have just over 1/16 inch of play side to side, in the sensor wheel, when the unit is in place. Waaay more play than my older vehicles with std. distributors. This is not good and I fear that I'm looking at more excessive wear as the miles stack up. Just waiting now for codes to show up as the slop between the gears increases. Junk.

I paid A LOT of money for this Jeep, brand new and had hoped to avoid this kind of garbage for a good number of years. I've never seen such issues with any of my other vehicles. Even if by some miracle we get the work covered under warranty, they have to crack my almost brand new engine to fix it. I'm all but done with Chrysler products.

popeyesides is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 08:00 AM   #92
Woodenya
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I forgot to mention before, but has anyone also noticed abnormal wear on the bottom of the cam position sensor (CPS) shaft? The part where it engages the oil pump drive. Mine has bad wear on the edges of the flat face (should have taken a pic). Looks like the tolerances are way too loose...

Also, as far as the gasket that seals the CPS. If by some chance you find you don't have abnormal wear and your engine doesn't need repair, you should replace the gasket. Mine didn't come loose cleanly. It stuck to both parts and got wasted. I'm not worried about it because my engine is going in for surgery, but if left alone it would most defiantly leak. I wouldn't let not having a gasket stop you from pulling the CPS, but you might want to pick one up and change it if you don't have any wear issues.

It's easy to start thinking that every '05-'06 4.0L is having this issue, but certainly, that can't be the case, right? I mean, if that was the case we would hear more about it, right? I'm just scared that after all the work of getting it fixed/replaced, it will just happen again. What are the odds of that? Should we be pulling the CPS every other oil change and looking for wear? How sensitive is the CPS with getting it back in time? If you don't get any codes after pulling are you good? I marked mine very carefully, but it could be off a hair.... I started the engine after reinstalling and didn't get any codes, but I just let it idle for a minute while checking for any oil leaks. I don't plan to drive it until after it's rebuilt. She's going on the trailer for the trip to the dealer... Can you tell I've lost sleep over this...
'06 TJ [B]Rubi[/B] (Light Metalic Khaki) 6sp, Bought 3-10 w/6500 miles. 31 MTR's, UCF alum UHC T-case & engine skid w/ LoPro, Rokmen gas tank & steer gear skid, Ridler dif covers F/R, Warn 8274-50, Optima Yellow top, Pro Comp front 3/4" spacers, Currie 1" BL, Bomb Proof MML, Novak cable shifter, AGR Super Box 2, Warn rear bumper/tire carrier, Rubi locker mod/pumps moved to engine bay, OBA. Build to come...
Woodenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:33 AM   #93
kakarak
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just called and talked to the service department of the local Jeep dealer, and he said he found a recall for this problem- but my VIN wasn't included.

I'll be checking mine this weekend.
kakarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:52 AM   #94
Woodenya
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hope you find good news!
Post your findings on the poll whatever you find.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/po...1/#post9194748
'06 TJ [B]Rubi[/B] (Light Metalic Khaki) 6sp, Bought 3-10 w/6500 miles. 31 MTR's, UCF alum UHC T-case & engine skid w/ LoPro, Rokmen gas tank & steer gear skid, Ridler dif covers F/R, Warn 8274-50, Optima Yellow top, Pro Comp front 3/4" spacers, Currie 1" BL, Bomb Proof MML, Novak cable shifter, AGR Super Box 2, Warn rear bumper/tire carrier, Rubi locker mod/pumps moved to engine bay, OBA. Build to come...
Woodenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:59 AM   #95
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Just got a call from the GM at dealership and said Chrysler is going to warranty and replace cam and pump and all related components. I have to pay a $100 deductable which is more than fair to me plus that gives me a 12mo and 12k mile warranty.
BTW does the motor have to be pulled to remove cam or do they remove the radiator to pull it.
Unread 03-31-2010, 04:53 PM   #96
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country1 View Post
I forgot to mention before, but has anyone also noticed abnormal wear on the bottom of the cam position sensor (CPS) shaft? The part where it engages the oil pump drive. Mine has bad wear on the edges of the flat face (should have taken a pic). Looks like the tolerances are way too loose...

Also, as far as the gasket that seals the CPS. If by some chance you find you don't have abnormal wear and your engine doesn't need repair, you should replace the gasket. Mine didn't come loose cleanly. It stuck to both parts and got wasted. I'm not worried about it because my engine is going in for surgery, but if left alone it would most defiantly leak. I wouldn't let not having a gasket stop you from pulling the CPS, but you might want to pick one up and change it if you don't have any wear issues.

It's easy to start thinking that every '05-'06 4.0L is having this issue, but certainly, that can't be the case, right? I mean, if that was the case we would hear more about it, right? I'm just scared that after all the work of getting it fixed/replaced, it will just happen again. What are the odds of that? Should we be pulling the CPS every other oil change and looking for wear? How sensitive is the CPS with getting it back in time? If you don't get any codes after pulling are you good? I marked mine very carefully, but it could be off a hair.... I started the engine after reinstalling and didn't get any codes, but I just let it idle for a minute while checking for any oil leaks. I don't plan to drive it until after it's rebuilt. She's going on the trailer for the trip to the dealer... Can you tell I've lost sleep over this...
the oil pump drive is simply a rectangular tang that slots into the oil pump, so i would be normal to see some wear on the corners due to clearances between the tang and the slot. once the corners have worn off you will probably find that it is "bedded" in and that as far as it will wear.

I suspect the gears are worn due to incorrect heat treatment during the hardening process when manufactured. the fault is probably random as mine was ok at 80,000 kms (50,000 miles). the pinion gear flanks were only scuffed and I was lucky enough not to damage the seal during the reinstall. if you match mark everything you should be ok, although the FSM states to use a drb tool and gain acess to "cam/crank relearn" but I think that is more to do when installing a new sensor and oil pump drive without any existing match marks.

hopefully the replacement parts are ok. would be interesting to do a hardness check on the new pinion.

and yes, you sound like you are losing a bit of sleep over it
Unread 03-31-2010, 05:17 PM   #97
ElJaynocibuR

Just another FYI-I saw someone mention that they could feel about 1/16" play in the "rotor" when they turned it back and forth. I still have that same play with a new cam and new oil pump drive gear. I wouldn't use that symptom alone as an indicator of this problem.

No, the engine does not have to be pulled. They romve the grill and radiator/condensor
Unread 03-31-2010, 05:24 PM   #98
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

As stated previously by someone quite a ways back in the thread, does the number range stated on the part still hold?
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 05:38 PM   #99
ElJaynocibuR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutta View Post
As stated previously by someone quite a ways back in the thread, does the number range stated on the part still hold?
No, mine didn't fall in that range
Unread 03-31-2010, 06:39 PM   #100
Nick B
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyesides View Post
Build date is 11-05, Why do you ask.
Just wondering .Mine is 04-06 .
Nick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 06:40 PM   #101
Nick B
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyesides View Post
Just got a call from the GM at dealership and said Chrysler is going to warranty and replace cam and pump and all related components. I have to pay a $100 deductable which is more than fair to me plus that gives me a 12mo and 12k mile warranty.
BTW does the motor have to be pulled to remove cam or do they remove the radiator to pull it.
Are you still under warranty ?
Unread 03-31-2010, 06:41 PM   #102
Nick B
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody have a part # for that CPS gasket ?
Unread 03-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #103
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wow this is really not cool. I had my ccv elbow clod and wipe out the dist gear in my 93 4.0 and it ruined the cam too (ran for another year with replacing the dist gear twice) The motor had 175k on it so I decided to just put in a newer motor. That motor was a 2005(dated 04 on the valve cover) 4.0..... Ive had funny starting issues with the motor since I put it in, would cough and kick and buck when trying to restart when warm ect. I pulled the dist a few weeks ago and sure as **** the dist gear was worn. I replaced it and all has been well since but im afraid of what i'll find when I check it again now that its been 1000 miles or so.

Edit: Just went out checked and my motor is 408mx27 so it looks like the tsb doesnt address my motor but still makes me wonder.

Last edited by 93jeepyj; 03-31-2010 at 07:09 PM..
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 07:23 PM   #104
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
Are you still under warranty ?
Nope, 06's only had 3year, 36k miles warranty, I'm sure the 13,000 miles on mine helped with the out come. Pretty hard to argue with low milage I would think.
Unread 03-31-2010, 08:12 PM   #105
zaxrubiunl
2006 LJ Wrangler 

my build date is 2/06'
zaxrubiunl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.