Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 69 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-19-2010, 03:08 AM   #1021
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The majority of people will never run in to this problem. The percentage of people who do is WAY to high IMHO.

Unread 11-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #1022
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc503 View Post
Just to chime in on where to buy the OPDA and gasket.
I purchased OPDA part number: 53010624 $97.85
Gasket part number: J3181288 $1.87

Total including freight was $112.67

They are Jerry Ulm Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep
2968 N. Dale Mabry, Tampa, FL 33607
(813) 872-6645

Rick
Just wanted to confirm this is the correct part. It comes with the sensor and plug. I plan to take it to the machine shop Monday to have the oil groove cut in and the zerk installed. Hopefully I'll have pics and specs.
Unread 11-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #1023
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Just wanted to confirm this is the correct part. It comes with the sensor and plug. I plan to take it to the machine shop Monday to have the oil groove cut in and the zerk installed. Hopefully I'll have pics and specs.
I believe the years that had an oil groove also had a seal at the top of the upper bushing to keep oil from coming out the top and into the sensor tone wheel area. AFAIK the '05/'06 part has no such seal unless you can find a way to add one.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 06:46 AM   #1024
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
I believe the years that had an oil groove also had a seal at the top of the upper bushing to keep oil from coming out the top and into the sensor tone wheel area. AFAIK the '05/'06 part has no such seal unless you can find a way to add one.
The '05-'06 part has a seal at the bottom of the upper bearing.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 07:47 AM   #1025
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
The '05-'06 part has a seal at the bottom of the upper bearing.
I would assume that would work then. When I get the pin out, I'll take a bunch of pics so we can see the internals.

Has anyone added an oil groove in the 05-06 version?
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:23 AM   #1026
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I disassembled the new OPDA this morning. I can't see how an upper zerk will work. There is no hole in the bushing for any oil to get out. The bottom bushing looks like the trouble spot.

The drive runs clockwise, so the gear teeth force the oil up into oil channels that run behind the bottom bushing. The oil is expected to drain down the shaft and bushing.

Either the oil can't get up the channels or it doesn't drain down the shaft. The groove that is cut in the 04 model OPDA forced oil down. This would provide a passage for the oil to travel out of the bottom bushing and allow lubrication of the shaft and bushing surfaces.

I'll get pics posted tonight and some basic MSPaint drawing of what I think is happening. If anyone has other advice or findings, please let me know.

FOG, when you added the zerk, did you drill through the upper bushing? If there is a hole already, where is it?

EDIT:

Looking at the pic below, the oil travels up the gear teeth (the teeth would be spinning to the left/Clockwise). It has to maneuver around the steel baffle (green line) and up the oil channels. From there, without the oil groove, the oil must somehow get back out. With the channel (blue line) the oil would have a path out.

Last edited by willydigger; 11-22-2010 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: Added jpg.
willydigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #1027
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here are some apart shots. The roll pin was tapped out using a punch and hammer.

These next three try to show a spiraled "piece" just below the top bushing. I assume it is a seal of some sort, but I can't be certain. You can see the spiral. You can also see the outlet of the oil channels behind the lower bushing.

Here is a plastic washer that fits just under the sensor wheel. I moved it to the center of the shaft for the picture.

Here is a bottom view of the housing and the three oil channel openings.

Here is the metal baffle that covers the openings.

Here is the gear on top of the baffle on top of the opening. The oil has to fight to get up through the channels.

Here is a shot of my sharpie marks on the shaft where I plan to cut the oil groove.

EDIT: Link to zerk fitting issue: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ch...ml#post9912393
Unread 11-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #1028
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

That is indeed a seal at the bottom of the upper bearing and the "baffle" is a thrust bearing... it stops the gear from 'machining' the aluminum housing away.

As you can see, there is no mechanism to carry oil up the shaft. Cutting the oil groove should save these units though getting oil to the groove needs to be worked on as the gear and thrust bearing block passage pretty well. Perhaps a few arcing grooves in the top of the gear to 'pump' oil to the shaft would work.
Unread 11-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #1029
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That is indeed a seal at the bottom of the upper bearing and the "baffle" is a thrust bearing... it stops the gear from 'machining' the aluminum housing away.

As you can see, there is no mechanism to carry oil up the shaft. Cutting the oil groove should save these units.
The pic of the oil groove in older models doesn't look like it will carry oil up. It rotates clockwise and would push oil out. Assuming it gets up inside in the first place.

What about notching the thrust bearing so there is no restriction on the oil holes?

Since the older models have the same thrust bearing, maybe oil does get up and just can't get out. Putting the groove in would help it cycle through.

Unread 11-22-2010, 08:50 PM   #1030
tufmar
1998 ZJ 

Nice work Willydigger! Thanks for the pictures, it is nice to see this thing dis-assembled. I am anxiously waiting for a solution to this problem, hopefully JeepForum can figure it out, bc Chrysler sure won't. I parked my LJ for the time being and driving my YJ until I figure out what I want to do. I have a new assembly waiting to go in, I just don't know what I want to do yet, zerk/machining grooves etc.

I don't recall, the 70 pages are blurring together at this point, do you actually have an '04 assembly (I know you have the pictures of it)? If you did I would be curious to the exact differences, also how far the oil grooves go up the shaft?

I am no engineer but it seems to me that the oil grooves are the difference maker just because this issue does not seem problematic with the '04's and to my knowledge is the only real difference btwn the two assemblies. I like your note about grinding the openings around the baffle, I don't see how it could hurt?

I guess my next step would be to find a machine shop to cut the grooves out. I see your in Baltimore, I'm not too far--in Frederick. Do you know of any good machine shops?
tufmar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #1031
redjeepguy1

A guy over on the local forum ended up with a whole new motor because a lifter on #5 and the cam lobe for that lifter self destructed. He only had like 26,000 miles on his rig... a 2004 model. warranty covered it.
Unread 11-23-2010, 08:00 AM   #1032
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I don't have the 04 unit. Based on pictures I've seen, the thrust bearing is the same. I suspect then, that the bushing and oil channels behind the bushing are the same. There may be a difference with the upper bushing.

The bottom oil groove must go up slightly past the length of the bottom bushing. The bushing is about 1 1/8 inches. When I add the groove I will go a little above the bushing and down to the top of the gear.

If someone does have measurements I'd love to know them.
Unread 11-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #1033
DocMojave
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I keep watching this thread hoping the next post will be Chrysler stepping up and addressing this properly. I think pigs will have achieved flight first though.
Unread 11-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #1034
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I would much rather see the oil groove oriented to carry oil up the shaft and let it drain out the 3 side grooves.
Unread 11-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #1035
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I would much rather see the oil groove oriented to carry oil up the shaft and let it drain out the 3 side grooves.
I took it to the machine shop today. Hopefully I'll have it back tomorrow. I decided against notching the thrust bearing. I was fearful of the gear teeth catching the thrust bearing and tearing something up. My logic is the 04 version doesn't have it, so I'll leave it be.

I decided to cut the groove like the 04. I have to assume the oil makes its way up the channel. I don't know if the centrifugal force helps it migrate up or there is something else I'm missing. Regardless, the oil groove should help the oil through the shaft/inner bushing section.

We talked about the upper bushing and the zerk fitting. I'm going to leave it alone for now.

I'll get pics up and measurements when the groove is cut. The plan is to have the groove a little longer than the bushing length.

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.