Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 66 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 11-14-2010, 10:45 AM   #976
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon225 View Post
Well I pulled mine just to take a peek yesterday knowing it would look perfect. Only 21,000 miles running Mobil 1 and no symptoms at all. Well all is not good the gear looks as bad as all the others posted here the cam gear has some wear but not as bad. The shaft on the OPDA is free and smooth no problems at all just the drive gear.
Now what to do?. Chrysler will not help its a salvage title and I am the the 4 owner so I am on my own. The techs at the local dealer did not even know what they were looking at when I showed them the part and said the only way that could happen is to run it out of oil and it my fault. So i am going to do it all on my own. The OPDA is no problem for me to replace. But how about the Cam can it be done shade tree style by me. What all do i need to address and get for the swap?
I can only offer my advice. Take all the info in this thread and choose the level of response you feel comfortable with.

When I first discovered the problem I was panicked. I ran to the dealer so I had it documented. I paid them $100 to swap it out and was freaked out when I saw the shine on the camshaft gear. Fortunately for me, mine acted up and I got a replacement with no delay or complications.

Now that I've calmed down a bit, I've decided the camshaft doesn't look that bad. The problem is clearly with the binding and lack of oil causing the shaft to bind prematurely. I think this is mostly due to the missing oil groove in the 05-06 OPDA. There is documentation saying this is a wide spread problem and I don't disagree with that. There is information supporting high ZDDP helping (and being better for flat tappet) so changing to a higher ZDDP oil seems like the right way to go.

My long term plan is to get an oil groove cut in, and add a zerk.

Short term, I'm running a high mileage oil with more ZDDP than traditional oil.

I have no intention of replacing the camshaft gear or installing a HESCO pump.

The gears will wear. The distributor gear is the weak gear so it should wear "faster". FOG should have a write up on greasing the bushing. I'm of the opinion that if you can keep the shaft from binding you will be okay. I wouldn't recommend pulling apart the camshaft.

Unread 11-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #977
bacon225
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Going to try the NAPA route tomorrow at least see if they have one.
bacon225 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #978
boy1212
2006 TJ Wrangler 

has anyones else jeep not stay running and have check engine light and every other light on the dash go on after you add a zerk fitting because mine was squeaking bad and i got the zerk fitting installed and now this is what is happening
boy1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 08:18 PM   #979
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy1212 View Post
has anyones else jeep not stay running and have check engine light and every other light on the dash go on after you add a zerk fitting because mine was squeaking bad and i got the zerk fitting installed and now this is what is happening
You need to read the code and see what the check engine light is telling you.

The way the computer is set up in the 05-06 is the computer won't let the engine start if its not getting a signal from the CPS sensor. Even if its WAY out of sync the computer will let you start the engine and drive it normally but will limit top engine speed to 2500RPM.

I've lost count how many times I've pulled my CPS testing oils, gears, ETC and never had a problem with the engine not running unless I forgot to plug the CPS sensor back to the engine wiring harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon225 View Post
Going to try the NAPA route tomorrow at least see if they have one.
Its not a stock item and they will have to order it. But they keep it in local warehouses so its only like a day or two.

I have a box with about 5 gears (different brands, different oils, ETC) and the Napa Echlin with the Mobil One 5W-40 "turbo diesel truck" oil has shown me the best results in lack of wear.

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #980
boy1212
2006 TJ Wrangler 

it will go up to 2500 rpms but it is real rough and sometimes it will die it was running fine after the zerk was installed for about two weeks
boy1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #981
dickyson
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My Story:

jeep wrangler 2005 rubicon with 57K miles. I took the jeep last friday to a mechanic so he could check the wear on the OPDA and it does have wear but it doesn't seem as bad as other pictures I've seen in this thread.
The camshaft is ok, but the mechanic told me that the wear on the OPDA is uneven ( I will try to explain it as I am mechanically handicapped) , meaning that he thinks that the problem is a poor quality produced camshaft that is apparently bent or it is not well strait so when it turns you can see on the OPDA that some of the wear is more on the bottom and as you turn the gear you can see some other wear on the top but it is never at the same distance between the top and bottom as you keep turning the gear.

Also, when he pulled it out that was plenty of oil all the way to the top of the OPDA gear, perhaps thinking that there is enough lubrication.

Does anyone believe that the HESCO pump will have some benefit? I am thinking on changing the OPDA because I am afraid it will get worse down the road and have it checked every 5K miles perhaps. Also I was thinking on changing the oil immediately to Mobile 1 10W40 high mileage and hope for the best

I don't know what else to do...
I guess it will take D/C some time to come up with a solution.
dickyson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #982
ElJaynocibuR

^^I don't think D/C is is losing sleep at night trying to come up with a solution. They've moved onto the JK's.
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #983
wl07
2005 LJ Wrangler 

ok just got off the phone with Chrysler and they told me that my jeep, i just purchased it last year, had this replaced on a recall in 05 does this sound right to anyone. however this was done at 8k miles and i am at 102k . so should everything be ok for me?
wl07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #984
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl07 View Post
ok just got off the phone with Chrysler and they told me that my jeep, i just purchased it last year, had this replaced on a recall in 05 does this sound right to anyone. however this was done at 8k miles and i am at 102k . so should everything be ok for me?
There isn't a magic replacement if that's what you're asking. They likely replaced it with the same kind of OPDA. The REV-B is not different from the REV-E, they are all prone to fail.

Since you haven't done anything for 94K miles, I would guess you are due. If you are concerned pull it for some reassurance. Odds are it is worn. I can't say for certain every '05-06 will fail, there is just a higher likelihood.
Unread 11-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #985
ElJaynocibuR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Speed View Post
Took my jeep to the dealership today to have it diagnosed. They said that my warranty was out and regardless of if there were a TSB on the issue, it wasn't covered under my warranty. The Jeep currently has 61k miles on it. They are charging me 79.00 to diagnose the oil pump drive gear, and another 79 to diagnose the fuel spilling out of tank issue. I am a little upset about this. I asked them..."you are charging me 79.00 to watch gas shoot out of my gas tank?" Then the service manager walked up and said..."your jeep is out of warranty, I dont' know what to tell you. You had the option to buy an extended warranty when you bought it." Seriously? You're going to say that to me? There are TSB's out on both of these issues and you're going to treat me like this? Ridiculous

Just got off the phone with Chrysler customer service. The lady said there were no TSB's related to my vin number and if any parts were determined to need replacement while it was at the dealership, I would have to cover all costs up front and then send in my receipts and a copies of everything to get some "assistance" from Chrysler. I mentioned to her about the 100 dollar deductible that some of you were talking about in earlier posts and she is saying that is only for vehicles still under warranty. Ok...so I need some help...what is my next step to get this issue taken care of?
My jeep was not under warranty or included in any recall or tsb. I told the lady at chrysler that's why I was calling her, because it wasn't and it should have been. I was not going to take no for an answer. I would keep calling them.
Unread 11-16-2010, 01:04 AM   #986
rubicon1000
2012 JK Wrangler 

im picking my new opda up tomarrow to install it any advice when i take the old one out to prep for the new install
SOLD 03 Rubicon , nv 3550 ,4'' RC lift ,1'' RC MM lift, 1.25'' body lift, HD rear bumper, hummer snorkel cap with buick airbox and custom piping, 265/75 r 16 tread wright retread mud tires on stock rubicon wheels, smitty built 8k winch, cobra cb radio, rrc front bumper, pre-runner rear bumper, HID headlights in Hella housings
rubicon1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 01:27 AM   #987
rubicon1000
2012 JK Wrangler 

does the new one have a pin installed in it for alingment
SOLD 03 Rubicon , nv 3550 ,4'' RC lift ,1'' RC MM lift, 1.25'' body lift, HD rear bumper, hummer snorkel cap with buick airbox and custom piping, 265/75 r 16 tread wright retread mud tires on stock rubicon wheels, smitty built 8k winch, cobra cb radio, rrc front bumper, pre-runner rear bumper, HID headlights in Hella housings
Unread 11-16-2010, 06:12 AM   #988
JrJmisn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just replaced mine yesterday. I got a new assembly from the dealer (175 dollars)
Mine was ticking quite loud and was getting annoying. I did not have starting trouble or squealing or oil pressure problems...just TICKING/tapping from the rotation in the housing.

I carefully marked the position of the assembly on the engine block so that the new one would be facing in the same direction. I then took careful note of the rotational position of the disc inside the housing of the old unit so that I could match that rotation position in the new unit. The disc inside has notches on it in sequence. One notch, two notches, three, ect in a pattern. I rotated the new disc until it was in the same rotational position.

It took a few tries to get the unit to slide in at the correct orientation. As the assembly slides in and seats in the gear the gear will turn into position. You have to kind of over-rotate the unit upon initial placement so that it will rotate into correct position.

After a few ins and outs it lined up perfectly. Started it up...perfect timing, NO TICKING! Good to go!
JrJmisn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 08:39 AM   #989
rubicon1000
2012 JK Wrangler 

How did u get it do cheap my dealer said mine was 316
Unread 11-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #990
rubicon1000
2012 JK Wrangler 

Can u also tell me what part number they used to order it so i can find out whats going on thanks

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.