Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 62 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-17-2010, 08:35 AM   #916
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by domano 68 View Post
What kind of noises?

I just completed a 4" suspension lift on my 05 with 22,000 miles and just noticed a very very faint high pitch squealing noise at maybe 35 miles an hour and higher. Again its very hard to hear. I assumed it was something with my lift but after reading this, I am wondering if I am having the cam issue. TIA!
Typically the noise is most noticeable when you first start the jeep. For me it would squeak like a belt slipping. After a few minutes the noise would go away. This isn't a noise associated with speed.

Unread 10-19-2010, 07:14 AM   #917
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Have we had documented cases of engine failure due to this or does it usually cause the engine not to run right because of bad timing before the engine is damaged. I know that is some cases it makes the chirping monkey sound before it goes.
Unread 10-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #918
sumday

i have some interesting observations when i took my opda out bc of it laughing for one day that hasnt returned since it happened 5 days ago...first there was oil at the top that i could see when i removed the black cap...secondly, the wear on the gear appears to be normal or very minimal...lastly, the cam gear looked to be in great condition but i think i can see that a chunk of gear has cracked off
sumday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #919
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
Have we had documented cases of engine failure due to this or does it usually cause the engine not to run right because of bad timing before the engine is damaged. I know that is some cases it makes the chirping monkey sound before it goes.
I've destroyed 2 cams which requires a partial engine tear down.

BTW---I want to reiterate. The majority of people on this thread seem to think this problem is endemic only to the '05-'06 year models. That is incorrect. There are many people of all different years this is effecting. The only reason people think it has anything to do with '05-'06 is because Chrysler issued a TSB for those year models. I know many people who have eaten cams/distributors/cam position sensors.
Unread 10-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #920
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylinesSuck View Post
BTW---I want to reiterate. The majority of people on this thread seem to think this problem is endemic only to the '05-'06 year models. That is incorrect. There are many people of all different years this is effecting.
This is why I feel it has to be something with the oil. The only reason the 05-06 CPS units are seeing more attention is because of the upper bushings seizing.

But there are plenty of engines with old tried and true designs that are seeing gear and other failures that can only be attributed to the oil.

FOG
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 06:51 AM   #921
steamnsteel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
This is why I feel it has to be something with the oil. The only reason the 05-06 CPS units are seeing more attention is because of the upper bushings seizing.

But there are plenty of engines with old tried and true designs that are seeing gear and other failures that can only be attributed to the oil.

FOG
I am leaning towards this being an oil problem also. I know what I have been using and it is not synthetic and it is not the new formulation, the 06 has the rev E and the 05 has a rev B opda and both are clocking close to 70,000.
I did have a squeal a couple of times last winter on cold zero degree startups with the rubi, I was trying a different oil on a whim and took it out just as soon as the temps warmed a bit. I'm sticking to higher zddp levels as long as I can get them. Care to guess which oil would squeal? A hint, it was not a dino oil.

I un-insatalled the wife mod.....lost one Jeep.
steamnsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 07:08 AM   #922
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

What do you guys think of adding an zddp additive such as STP to the oil rather than using an oil with high zddp content? My reason is that for my warranty would an oil such as a 15w40 weight be allowed?
Unread 10-21-2010, 07:46 AM   #923
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamnsteel View Post
I am leaning towards this being an oil problem also. I know what I have been using and it is not synthetic and it is not the new formulation, the 06 has the rev E and the 05 has a rev B opda and both are clocking close to 70,000.
I did have a squeal a couple of times last winter on cold zero degree startups with the rubi, I was trying a different oil on a whim and took it out just as soon as the temps warmed a bit. I'm sticking to higher zddp levels as long as I can get them. Care to guess which oil would squeal? A hint, it was not a dino oil.
Hmmm, something just clicked with me here. In my 05 I've been running synthetic in the winter. I too had a really bad squeal a time or two in the winter. I never did with my 99 which I always ran dino oil. Is that squeal caused by this cam?
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #924
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What do you guys think of adding an zddp additive such as STP to the oil rather than using an oil with high zddp content? My reason is that for my warranty would an oil such as a 15w40 weight be allowed?
==========
IMO: Sure an additive requires some thought and I do not think using a 15w40 would do any harm warran tee wise.
Trouble with STP is it has 1950 Zinc but has a significant volume so when you mix it with 5 qts of oil the percent of zinc is reduced and the result is only slightly better than plain old SM oil. (mixture = about 400ppm Zn). BTW STP is a viscosity increaser so you end up with a higher viscosity.
A diesel oil makes more sense since it will have the proper percentage. The only down side would be reduced fuel economy with 15w40. For a cold climate the Mobile 1 with lower viscosity makes more sense. A correct choice of diesel oil will give you around 1500ppm Zn. Some diesel oils are a lot less. Homework required.
After a huge amount of reading what I am now doing is plain old dino SM 10W30 and a shot of "ZDDPlus". Lower cost than the premium/synthetic/diesel oils and I have the correct viscosity. The result is a mixture of about 1800ppm Zn and a negligable change in viscosity.
PaulW
pwmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 08:18 AM   #925
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwmac View Post
After a huge amount of reading what I am now doing is plain old dino SM 10W30 and a shot of "ZDDPlus". Lower cost than the premium/synthetic/diesel oils and I have the correct viscosity. The result is a mixture of about 1800ppm Zn and a negligable change in viscosity.
PaulW
How much ZDDPlus are you using with an oil change? The website for it states 4 ounces per 4-5 qt oil change. It also says though that it is not for OBD engines. Are you using less than the 4 ounces? Also have you found a retail store to buy it at?
Unread 10-21-2010, 08:51 AM   #926
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How much ZDDPlus are you using with an oil change? The website for it states 4 ounces per 4-5 qt oil change. It also says though that it is not for OBD engines. Are you using less than the 4 ounces? Also have you found a retail store to buy it at?
======
Buy it on theweb. The manufacturer usually has a special for best price 4 or 5 in a package. Any significant amount of zinc will eventually mess up your cat. So you get to choose - engine rebuild or cat replacement down the road. Just use a full 4 oz per oil change. Dont extend your oil change intervals much as the Zn is a consumable chemical. 3-5k oil changes should be OK IMO.
Read the ZDDPlus tech briefs for various mixture ratios and lots of other tech info. Dont know why one would not want the simple add 4oz method at each oil change?
PaulW
pwmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #927
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Dont know why one would not want the simple add 4oz method at each oil change?
PaulW
My thought was that less than 4oz would still offer some protection but not be as hard on the cats.
Unread 10-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #928
sumday

cam looks good...i got a mirror in there and it was a tooth starting/ending...the jeep build date and the number on the opdg is within the tsb but never got the 'letter' to let me know about it....hmmm....still got 7/70 but went to the dealer earlier this week and they siad it wouldnt be covered under warranty and never heard of the problem so ill be putting it back together and going to another dealer...can i get the rear main seal covered under warranty as well?

btw...ive been using either peak or quaker state oil every 3k

just got off the phone with dc and told them i want to have my gear fixed...apparently it was fixed before i bought the vehicle and would not be covered again...wtf!?!?

Last edited by sumday; 10-21-2010 at 09:18 AM..
sumday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #929
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yea DC is a bunch of waste. What was the reason they werent going to cover it? Everyones was recalled and fixed before it was sold, but everyones is going bad.
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #930
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The result is a mixture of about 1800ppm Zn and a negligable change in viscosity
Instead of going that route, Summit racing sells high ZDDP oil with 1800ppm in it for $6 a quart. Its made by spectroil (SP) and they have a very good rep in the racing oil circles.

FOG
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.