Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 03-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #76
tshively
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: oregon
Posts: 223
I called the 800 number. They said that my vin. was not in the TSB?? So now I need to decide which dealer to go to and see what they will do. If we have problems I wonder if someone could post an extension or phone # so we can talk to the same guy at Chrysler. I think that there are quite a few of these out there that do not fall under the dates of the TSB bulletin!

tshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #77
Woodenya
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nonya, Virginia
Posts: 471
Pulled mine this evening and it looks exactly like this one. Not cool! My engines build date is 4/06 and it only has 7,000 miles on it. Going to take the can sensor to my dealer in the morning and see what my guy says, wish I had that TSB number though. If the dealer won't help me, my TJ is still under a 30 day Carmax warranty. I'll try and go that route, but really don't want them to tear into my motor. Sure am glad I happened to find this thread this morning....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshively View Post
[IMG][/IMG]


What do you guys think about the wear on the oil pump drive gear? It does not look good to me. The build date on my engine is 10-31-05. The wear is almost identical to ElJaynocibuR drive gear.
__________________
'06 TJ [B]Rubi[/B] (Light Metalic Khaki) 6sp, Bought 3-10 w/6500 miles. 31 MTR's, UCF alum UHC T-case & engine skid w/ LoPro, Rokmen gas tank & steer gear skid, Ridler dif covers F/R, Warn 8274-50, Optima Yellow top, Pro Comp front 3/4" spacers, Currie 1" BL, Bomb Proof MML, Novak cable shifter, AGR Super Box 2, Warn rear bumper/tire carrier, Rubi locker mod/pumps moved to engine bay, OBA. Build to come...
Woodenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 08:24 AM   #78
Woodenya
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nonya, Virginia
Posts: 471
Talked to Rob (my service guy at the Chrysler dealer) this morning. He said he hadn't heard of the TSB, but looked it up. Of course it wasn't on my '06's vin, but he found it for the '05's. One of the "good" techs walking in and he showed the wear on the cam position sensor to him and he said "wow that's awful"....

The thing that's different about my situation is that I just bought my TJ from Carmax and it's still under the 30 day warranty. Rob suggested I go to them first because he does all of their bigger Chrysler jobs and my TJ would just come over to him anyway. That way I wouldn't have to fight with Chrysler on the TSB issue and he said Carmax was very good at taking care of anything under their 30 day warranty.

So off to Carmax I went a couple streets over. I talked to the service manager (like Rob said to do) and explained the whole situation to him with my cam position sensor in hand. He looked at me a little funny and said I would have to put "that thing" back in my vehicle and bring it in. The first he could get me in is next Monday. He said they would take care of it, but I still feel a little uneasy about it. He acted like he didn't want to really commit to anything until I bring the vehicle in. We'll see what happens on Monday.

I can't stress enough for youy guys with '05-'06 4.0L to pull your cam position sensors and take a good look. This is a serious problem! I can't belive we haven't heard more about it....
__________________
'06 TJ [B]Rubi[/B] (Light Metalic Khaki) 6sp, Bought 3-10 w/6500 miles. 31 MTR's, UCF alum UHC T-case & engine skid w/ LoPro, Rokmen gas tank & steer gear skid, Ridler dif covers F/R, Warn 8274-50, Optima Yellow top, Pro Comp front 3/4" spacers, Currie 1" BL, Bomb Proof MML, Novak cable shifter, AGR Super Box 2, Warn rear bumper/tire carrier, Rubi locker mod/pumps moved to engine bay, OBA. Build to come...
Woodenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #79
stwilson74
Senior Member
 
stwilson74's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bay Shore, NY
Posts: 893
How are you guys all keeping your Jeeps so low mileage?!?!?!?! my 2005 LJ has almost 110,000 miles on it at this point!!!! I guess this weekend I will try to make time to get out there and look for signs of this issue, but I doubt I will be getting any help from DC even if there is with my mileage... oh well
__________________
"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #80
Cjensenr
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: , WI
Posts: 398
Wow! Once again a great thread.
Sad part of all of this is the need to even have to deal with such an issue.

C.
Cjensenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #81
Bishop Creek
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Eastern High Sierra, California
Posts: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by stwilson74 View Post
How are you guys all keeping your Jeeps so low mileage?!?!?!?! my 2005 LJ has almost 110,000 miles on it at this point!!!!...
I have 40,000 on my '05 LJ that I bought brand new. I guess it is because I live in a small town and only drive 4 miles to work each day. Plus I rarely go out of town and all the trailheads are within a 15 to 20 minute drive from my house.
__________________
“This isn’t the Old West, because the New West has never arrived. It’s just the West, like Wyatt Earp died yesterday.”
─ Michael Martin Murphey talking about the Eastern Sierra during an interview in 1996.
Bishop Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #82
popeyesides
Member
 
popeyesides's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tucson,AZ
Posts: 432
I just pulled mine back out of my 06 LJ with 13,000 miles and took it over to the dealership and they looked at it and said it has premature wear. I told the service director that I was going to call Chrysler and he said to let him try and take care of it first. I will report back when I know more.

Mine has low miles on it because it is not a daily driver and used for wheeling only.
popeyesides is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #83
Woodenya
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nonya, Virginia
Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjensenr View Post
Sad part of all of this is the need to even have to deal with such an issue.
Exactly!
But at least I found out about it before something catastrophic happened... Thanks Jeep Forum!

Low mileage...
The only reason mine has such low mileage is because I just bought it that way.
I've been looking for more than 8 months to find what I was looking for. Just had to have patients.. But on the flip side, I find out about this oil pump gear deal and it kind of takes the shine out of my great find! But at least I have a warranty... I just hate the fact that it has to be done especially since it's "major surgery" and a lot of factory seals will be broken. Things will never be as good as Factory New...
__________________
'06 TJ [B]Rubi[/B] (Light Metalic Khaki) 6sp, Bought 3-10 w/6500 miles. 31 MTR's, UCF alum UHC T-case & engine skid w/ LoPro, Rokmen gas tank & steer gear skid, Ridler dif covers F/R, Warn 8274-50, Optima Yellow top, Pro Comp front 3/4" spacers, Currie 1" BL, Bomb Proof MML, Novak cable shifter, AGR Super Box 2, Warn rear bumper/tire carrier, Rubi locker mod/pumps moved to engine bay, OBA. Build to come...
Woodenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 11:24 AM   #84
AZJeepNewbie
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 644
How are you guys who are pulling your distributors getting things sync'd back up perfectly again?

Speaking of seals, here's a funny story about when the dealer replaced my failed distributor/oil-pump drive. A week later, I'm leaking oil all over the garage floor. There is oil leaking from the rear-main as well, so I figured my rear main finally gave up completely. I brought the Jeep to the dealer who said *IF* it was the rear main seal, they'd replace it under the extended warranty with me paying the $100 deductible. So they call me later, and tell me it's not the rear main seal, but the oil-pump drive seal that was bad. I reminded them that they'd just fixed the oil-pump drive, and they admitted using the old seal. Sheesh. I told them "YOU WILL NOT CHARGE ME THE DEDUCTIBLE AGAIN". They got the message.

Meanwhile, my rear main is still seeping.
__________________
2005 Rubicon, Currie JJ SA lift with AEV 3" springs. Link to my build

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you fully understand the situation."
AZJeepNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #85
tshively
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: oregon
Posts: 223
Quote:
How are you guys who are pulling your distributors getting things sync'd back up perfectly again?
I don't think you will without a bi-directional scan tool. I am lucky enough to have access to a Snap-On Modis. If you mark it and are careful it should be close enough to not throw a code. If I remember correctly the code on my 2006 for cam/crank signal out of sync. was a P0016?

I wish that anyone who owns 2005/06 would pull cam sensor drive and check the gear it. Curiosity is the main reason that I pulled mine? I am quite certain the 4.0 had this problem till the end of production. Chrysler needs to know about it maybe they will expand the dates on the TSB!!
tshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #86
Nick B
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyesides View Post
I just pulled mine back out of my 06 LJ with 13,000 miles and took it over to the dealership and they looked at it and said it has premature wear. I told the service director that I was going to call Chrysler and he said to let him try and take care of it first. I will report back when I know more.

Mine has low miles on it because it is not a daily driver and used for wheeling only.
What is your engine build date ?
Nick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:08 PM   #87
iceman8
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon & Alaska
Posts: 157
I just pulled mine and surprise surprise. I have similar wear as shown in the pics above posted by tshively. I'd say mine is about two-thirds LESS than what he has. Same pattern. The gear on the engine side did not look as bad as on the shaft. Below is my data and FYI, there is no engine code stamped on the flat machined block surface between cyl. 3/4 as indicated by others. Instead, I have a sticker on the front of the valve cover, it has an engine date code of 6019.

2006 Rubicon only 18,000 miles
Build date 03-06
Engine date code 6019

Cam Sensor part # 53010624AC
below the part no. is # 106012-REV-E

The Cam Sensor shaft rotated freely, oil was getting all the way to the top of the shaft during operation. I'm having NO drivability issues nor codes thrown. HOWEVER...there is obvious play developing between the Cam sensor gear and the Camshaft gear. I have just over 1/16 inch of play side to side, in the sensor wheel, when the unit is in place. Waaay more play than my older vehicles with std. distributors. This is not good and I fear that I'm looking at more excessive wear as the miles stack up. Just waiting now for codes to show up as the slop between the gears increases. Junk.

I paid A LOT of money for this Jeep, brand new and had hoped to avoid this kind of garbage for a good number of years. I've never seen such issues with any of my other vehicles. Even if by some miracle we get the work covered under warranty, they have to crack my almost brand new engine to fix it. I'm all but done with Chrysler products.
iceman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 06:38 AM   #88
Nick B
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman8 View Post
I just pulled mine and surprise surprise. I have similar wear as shown in the pics above posted by tshively. I'd say mine is about two-thirds LESS than what he has. Same pattern. The gear on the engine side did not look as bad as on the shaft. Below is my data and FYI, there is no engine code stamped on the flat machined block surface between cyl. 3/4 as indicated by others. Instead, I have a sticker on the front of the valve cover, it has an engine date code of 6019.

2006 Rubicon only 18,000 miles
Build date 03-06
Engine date code 6019

Cam Sensor part # 53010624AC
below the part no. is # 106012-REV-E

The Cam Sensor shaft rotated freely, oil was getting all the way to the top of the shaft during operation. I'm having NO drivability issues nor codes thrown. HOWEVER...there is obvious play developing between the Cam sensor gear and the Camshaft gear. I have just over 1/16 inch of play side to side, in the sensor wheel, when the unit is in place. Waaay more play than my older vehicles with std. distributors. This is not good and I fear that I'm looking at more excessive wear as the miles stack up. Just waiting now for codes to show up as the slop between the gears increases. Junk.

I paid A LOT of money for this Jeep, brand new and had hoped to avoid this kind of garbage for a good number of years. I've never seen such issues with any of my other vehicles. Even if by some miracle we get the work covered under warranty, they have to crack my almost brand new engine to fix it. I'm all but done with Chrysler products.
Sent you a PM .
Nick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 07:29 AM   #89
zaxrubiunl
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: sylvania, oh.
Posts: 36
when you guys r changing your oil ,is their any metal shaving from this ? has any one looked ? mines not due for one yet ,but im thinkin bout drain out to check! this is a total bummer topic for 4.0 i've sworn by em for a long time !
zaxrubiunl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 07:54 AM   #90
popeyesides
Member
 
popeyesides's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tucson,AZ
Posts: 432
Build date is 11-05, Why do you ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
What is your engine build date ?
popeyesides is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.