Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 56 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 10-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #826
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Like jeffjeep1 says, it would be a major tearup - plus, you might end up needing to replace the other modules that have the VIN stored in them, like the SKIM module and the airbag module. A better solution is to figure out what is wrong with some percentage of the gear blanks and find one that is made properly with the right metallurgy and hardening.

Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #827
Jp90Talon
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Finally got my camera back....here are the pics

Jp90Talon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #828
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp90Talon View Post
Finally got my camera back....here are the pics
Curious...those marks you see on the wrong side of the teeth (smaller wear marks on back side of gear) do they go all they way around?? are they consistent at 3:00 6:00 and 9:00 position if break is at 12:00??

the pin that you removed...is there any side to side wear (wallowed out) of the hole that remains in the gear??

that very much looks like a cast type steel that has suddenly cracked..I could be wrong and it could be a improperly hardened steel also.
Unread 10-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #829
Jp90Talon
2005 LJ Wrangler 

They go all the way around and I didnt remove the pin. After the crack both the gear and pin dropped off the rod into the oil pan thus the loss off oil pressure.
Unread 10-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #830
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
They go all the way around and I didnt remove the pin. After the crack both the gear and pin dropped off the rod into the oil pan thus the loss off oil pressure.
What revision OPDA was it?

What oil were you/previous owner using?

What does your camshaft gear look like?

So it gave no symptoms and then the gear broke off? That's some scary stuff.
Unread 10-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #831
Jp90Talon
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
What revision OPDA was it?

No clue but the part # is.....

P/N:53010624AC
105061-REV-B

What oil were you/previous owner using?

No clue on previous owners but I was using regular 10W-30

What does your camshaft gear look like?
My Jeep is my daily driver and I need it for work so I had to pay a shop to fix it. I was told it was a bit scuffed up but not all that bad. Runs great now after replacing the assembly

So it gave no symptoms and then the gear broke off? That's some scary stuff.

No symptoms at all. Actually drove it all the way up to NH w/o issue until I tossed the CELs and warning sounds due to the gear falling off and loosing oil pressure
Unread 10-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #832
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My original OPDA was a REV-B. It was replaced with REV-E.

I could only speculate that the shaft bound up and forced the cam shaft to bust the gear. I would think there would have been a noise. I'm checking mine every oil change.

I started using 5W-30 Mobil High Mileage. 6 full quarts. This thing needs all the oil it can get.
Unread 10-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #833
B_faster
1999 WJ 

I am now in the Club

06 Rubi LJ 37000 miles. Slight noise and then CEL and 0 oil pressure. I am going to pull it in a few days, when I get a chance. I called the local dealer, and got the " I have never heard of that before" speach.
B_faster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #834
Jp90Talon
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah I received that same speach from the 5 local dealerships I called as well. Good luck let us know how it turns out. Do you still have a warranty>?
Unread 10-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #835
B_faster
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Yeah I received that same speach from the 5 local dealerships I called as well. Good luck let us know how it turns out. Do you still have a warranty>?
nope, 4 years and 37102 miles on it when it broke.
B_faster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #836
Jp90Talon
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I really think everyone that has had this issue needs to file a report with the NHTSA! It only takes 5-10 minutes and here is the link to do it online or call.

File a Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Jeep needs to step up to the plate and acknowledge that this is an issue and the only way it will happen is if we report it....
Unread 10-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #837
centerfireman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

OPDA availability

Though it does nothing to address the underlying problem, I thought JF folks would like to know that I ordered an OPDA from Jeep Parts - Jeep OEM Parts (800-926-8254) and received it 6 days after placing the order. Perhaps the backorder delays are finally improving. (Cost was $113 + $13 shipping.)
centerfireman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #838
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I don't see how that gear and pin fell off the shaft or how the cam could have broken it.

It looks to me that it was broken either on installation or removal. If the gear rotated on the shaft neither hole would be intact. The gear can't fall off the shaft because it's trapped between the oil pump and the OPDA housing.

Something fishy me thinks...
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #839
Jp90Talon
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
I don't see how that gear and pin fell off the shaft or how the cam could have broken it.

It looks to me that it was broken either on installation or removal. If the gear rotated on the shaft neither hole would be intact. The gear can't fall off the shaft because it's trapped between the oil pump and the OPDA housing.

Something fishy me thinks...
I didnt do the work but he put in a new one and its running fine now and the pics show what he gave back to me.
Unread 10-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #840
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Its been a while since I posted on this thread because I was trying to put as many miles on my new setup to see how the wear would go.

As I posted before I first encountered this issue when I pulled my factory CPS unit around 27,000miles to find uneven wear on the CPS gear. The cam looked OK so I just bought another CPS assembly and installed it. Well after just a 1,000 miles I pulled it and it was already showing uneven wear not as bad as the factory CPS but it was going that direction.

So I got another CPS unit and put a Napa Echlin gear on it and installed a zerk fitting with a direct hole through the bushing. After about 1,000 miles it also showed a little bit of uneven wear but not nearly as much as the OEM gear on the 1st replacement CPS did.

So I yanked off that Napa echlin gear and installed a new one on. This time before I installed the new CPS I changed the oil and put in Mobil One 0W-40 WITH a bottle of ZDDP-PLUS so the oil with have around 1600ppm of zinc and phosphorus.

That was 4,000 miles ago and I pulled the CPS out over the weekend and all I could see what just the normal wear pattern with barely noticeable 1/8" feathering marks on each gear tooth. The other thing that was very noticeable was the absence of scuffing on the bottom half of the CPS shaft where its oil lubricated.

At this point I think its safe to say the problem is because of the low levels of ZDDP and the extra load from the lack of bushing lubrication.

The lower bushing issue is IMHO due mostly to the ZDDP and the upper bushing due to the lack of lubrication which is fixable with the zerk installation.

After doing ALLOT of research on ALLOT of message boards the 4.0 isn't alone in having issues with the new low ZDDP oil. I've found countless postings about all types of normal non-modified gas and diesel engines that have had cam shaft, lifter, and distributor drive failures because of new oil issues.

Go read over on the 4.0 stroker message boards where they are using old distributor cap system and having drive gears and cam gears ate up. I think what made the 05-06 units so prone to have failure so fast is the lack of upper bearing lubrication putting excessive load on the gears.

So IMHO the long term answer is to install good high qulaity gear like the Napa Echlin, fit a zerk fitting and lubricate it every 1,000 miles and use a ZDDP booster like ZDDP plus with a good high quality ACEA rated oil like Mobil one 10W-30 HM or 0W-40.

FOG
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.