Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 55 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 09-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #811
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
If it's still under warranty then you should be okay. I wasn't so I'm SOL unless I replace it myself. The service center at the dealer will probably know about the issue but as far as the higher ups at Chrysler...they "Claim" to know nothing of the subject.
OK, maybe I will just call them and see if they are aware of it and if they will check it out. Thanks.

2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #812
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
OK, maybe I will just call them and see if they are aware of it and if they will check it out. Thanks.
There needs to be something wrong (noise, codes, engine trouble) otherwise you may be in for a argument. I had the noise and took it in. They replaced the unit for $100 deductible after some unnecessary pushing on my part. At first they said it wasn't covered under warranty and I had to have him double check and explain why it wouldn't be covered.
Unread 09-29-2010, 05:12 PM   #813
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yup Fargo, I called with the TSB, Chrysler said their hands are tied in this matter. Its up to the dealership, read my post. about 1 page back
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #814
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just got a used oil analysis for my '06. Ran the 10W-30 oil approximately 4200 mi, 60k mi on Jeep, original OPDA. Iron level was 9, average for the 4.0 for that lab is 28, for oil run 4500 mi.
Unread 10-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #815
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've been wondering why they changed the OPDA assembly anyway. The 4.0 has proven to be a durable engine,I put 223,000 on a 1989 Cherokee before I sold it with no problems.Knowing that they were going to be replacing it in the JK's it would seem to me that it would have made economic sense for Chrysler to just let the 4.0 retire unchanged.
Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #816
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
I've been wondering why they changed the OPDA assembly anyway. The 4.0 has proven to be a durable engine,I put 223,000 on a 1989 Cherokee before I sold it with no problems.Knowing that they were going to be replacing it in the JK's it would seem to me that it would have made economic sense for Chrysler to just let the 4.0 retire unchanged.
This was covered earlier in the thread - they changed the engine controller type from JTEC to NGC and that necessitated a new cam sensor design with a different signal output.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #817
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I picked up the gasket from the dealer that they failed to install with the new OPDA. I pulled the OPDA with about 400 miles. There are normal wear marks on the new gear. The stem was doused in oil.

Unread 10-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #818
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
This was covered earlier in the thread - they changed the engine controller type from JTEC to NGC and that necessitated a new cam sensor design with a different signal output.
That was my question,why change anything on an engine with a production of only a year left?
Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #819
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
That was my question,why change anything on an engine with a production of only a year left?
Hard to say - maybe they couldn't get the older style controller in sufficient volume anymore...or maybe the newer style controller was significantly cheaper...? There's lots of reasons why big companies do things that make no apparent sense...
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #820
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So without wanting to piss anyone off, what was the consensus on the type of oil we should be using?
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2010, 06:56 AM   #821
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a link to the summary spreadsheet listed back on page 48 post 718 by RubiOR.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...=0&output=html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ch...l#post10070556
Unread 10-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #822
CjAl
1980 CJ7 

I'm glad you guys can get chrysler to replace your cams. I can't even get them to replace the lifters that tick their *** off
CjAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #823
speed_phreak
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
Indeed, I wonder though... If we were to retrofit an older style JTEC computer to our 05-06 Wranglers, would anyone know? When I pull up to the emissions test center, would their computers read that my 05 has an 04 computer and fail me?

Would this require a new wiring harness?
What other sensors would need to be replaced?
speed_phreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #824
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_phreak View Post
Indeed, I wonder though... If we were to retrofit an older style JTEC computer to our 05-06 Wranglers, would anyone know? When I pull up to the emissions test center, would their computers read that my 05 has an 04 computer and fail me?

Would this require a new wiring harness?
What other sensors would need to be replaced?
From what I remember seeing off hand...

there are a few sensors that were re-located and the entire unit on firewall near battery was different also. I just spent a few minutes comparing visual changes but I remember sensors on the intake manifold, air inlet tube, were actually mounted in different place. Think you would open up another can of worms.
Unread 10-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #825
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have done some research on this. I have a collection of parts lists for each year TJ and 2002, 2003 and 2005 FSMs. The part numbers between 2004 and 2005 for the main wiring harness across the "firewall" in the engine compartment which plugs into the brain are different numbers, probably indicating a change. I have briefly looked at the connector pin-out details in the 2003 and 2005 FSM, there appear to be some differences too.
When I first bought my used 05 LJ Rubi, I had the Sentry Key added and the first dealer screwed things up. When the PCM was replaced and programmed for the SK by dealer #2, the VIN had to be entered into the programming. I SUSPECT it would be necessary to do a complete harness and PCM swap, with some "magic" involving the VIN number and the DRB tool.
In addition, there are some electronic features the Rubi has, such as Low Range clutch by-pass, that may not be able to be duplicated. The main harness in the engine compargtment between a Rubi and an X/Sport are different numbers. One known difference in the harnesses, there are no contacts in the Power Dist box under the hood for the clutch by-pass fuse.
I'm not saying it cannot be done, just does not look like plug and play.
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.