Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 52 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 09-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #766
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

From the Registry Thread.

Quote:
1. Year, model, mileage, and build date of your Jeep
2005, Wrangler X TJ, 64,400 miles, 2/05

2. Brief description of the problem and any collateral damage. Please include pictures if available.
The laughing monkey noise tipped me off. I pulled the OPDA after two weeks of troubleshooting.

3. Actions taken to fix the problem.
I took it to the dealership. I took it the evening before so they had it cold the following morning. I explained to the dealer the noise and the problem. I let them know about the TSB and the duration of the noise.

Later that morning the dealer called and said the part was not covered under the 7yr/70,000 mile drive train warranty. I asked how a part that was directly related to the drive train was not covered considering the TSB. He said he would double check. He mentioned that since it wasn't a "recall" and was only a "TSB" it was not covered under warranty. A few minutes later he admitted he was mistaken and said it was covered under the warranty. He mentioned the $100 deductible would still have to be covered. I believe if I hadn't of pressed the subject the dealership would not have covered it.

4. Approximate cost of repair?
They originally tried to charge me the price of the OPDA and installation (~$490). After admitting to warranty coverage I had to pay a $100 deductible for the replacement ODPA. I asked to see the part they removed to confirm it was the worn part. It was. The part also has a 12mo/12,000 mile warranty.

5. Did Chrysler pay for or reimburse any of the repairs?
The dealer said there was no damage to the camshaft gear. There was no other indication of failure other than the noise (no drop in oil pressure, no codes, no engine trouble, etc.). The service rep did mention that the old part would likely be rebuilt. I expect my replacement to be the same PN or a rebuilt part. I will have to keep an eye out. The only repair cost was a "new" OPDA and installation.

6. If Chrysler did pay, what steps were taken to make them pay?
As mentioned above, I had to press the subject. If I had of accepted the dealer's initial response I would not have been covered. Only after asking for an explanation and asking to check why the part was not covered, did they admit to coverage. I dealt directly with the dealer.

7. Has the problem returned?
When I left the dealership the noise was gone. Since that was my only symptom, I will have to wait a little while to inspect. I believe it will return.
UPDATE YES.

I removed the OPDA today. It had 20 miles on it since the dealer installation.

Here are some shots of the camshaft gear the dealer claims was okay.

*Also FYI, the dealer had the OPDA in stock (9/21/10, Baltimore MD). I dropped the Jeep off the previous evening and picked it up the next afternoon.
Also One other helpful note with removing the OPDA. After you mark the engine, OPDA housing, and OPDA sensor wheel, you'll pull the OPDA out. The shaft will turn as stated previously. During reinstallation take care not to turn the oil pump so that it doesn't match during reinstallation. If you move it, take a flathead screw driver and return it so the OPDA shaft will mate correctly. Your match marks have to meet for the Jeep to run properly.

Unread 09-23-2010, 02:53 AM   #767
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well,

My dealership wants a $450 diagnostic fee to take a look at the clutch even though I tell them I have 2 TSB, one for reverse popping out of gear and one for this OPDA. I kept insisting they simply look at the camshaft but they wont. So I called up chrysler, and now theres a case manager assigned to my case. Im just wondering if anyone else had to front a "diagnostic fee" especially for something you dont want them to look at? If so how they dealt with it.
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #768
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible2 View Post
Well,

My dealership wants a $450 diagnostic fee to take a look at the clutch even though I tell them I have 2 TSB, one for reverse popping out of gear and one for this OPDA. I kept insisting they simply look at the camshaft but they wont. So I called up chrysler, and now theres a case manager assigned to my case. Im just wondering if anyone else had to front a "diagnostic fee" especially for something you dont want them to look at? If so how they dealt with it.
My dealer mentioned a $99 Diagnostic fee but only if they didn't find anything.
Unread 09-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #769
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkki1230 View Post
Here's a pic of a side by side comparison. You can see the oil groove on the older style shaft (upper one). Even with the crappy phone pic, if you look at my 06 shaft (lower one), you can see the major scoring right above the teeth.
Why is the newer shaft not scored? Is the bushing scored instead? Does any one have an old one that I can dissect?
Unread 09-23-2010, 11:45 PM   #770
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
My dealer mentioned a $99 Diagnostic fee but only if they didn't find anything.
were they going to be giving a diagnostic on the transmission or clutch? the thing they suspected.
Unread 09-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #771
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible2 View Post
were they going to be giving a diagnostic on the transmission or clutch? the thing they suspected.
I prepped them by telling them the symptoms of the OPDA. I think the protocol is there must be something wrong and they are responsible. I felt like I had to take them by the hand and show them.

Afterward I told them the gasket wasn't installed on the part they replaced. I told them I would be down to get a gasket and that I would install it myself. I have no confidence in the dealer or the techs.

Regarding the OPDA, I believe the camshaft gear is okay. While there is some shine on the edge, I don't believe it will have a substantial impact on the new OPDA gear. My plan going forward is to monitor the new OPDA at each oil change. I subscribe to the thought that poor bushing or shaft design is the issue. I have started using Mobil 1 High Mileage also.
Unread 09-24-2010, 09:37 PM   #772
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

hmm, no matter what I seem to say they want to check out the clutch and charge me $450 for diagnostic. Im waiting back on Chrysler
Unread 09-25-2010, 12:05 AM   #773
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Why is the newer shaft not scored? Is the bushing scored instead? Does any one have an old one that I can dissect?
The newer shaft (bottom one) is the one that is scored. The bushing is scored too.
tkki1230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #774
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have been following this thread for quite a while. Probably posted once or twice. Just pulled the OPDA today (Rev B). 30,200 miles. No camera at the moment. There is a little shine on each of the ODPA gear and cam teeth and the two spots where the shaft drives the oil pump, shaft turns very freely. Does not look anywhere near worn like that of prior posted pictures.
Bought it used from a Chev dealer with dealer fresh oil change at 22,800. No records by prior owner, no idea what Chev dealer put in for oil. I put in Mobil1 10-30 at 26,500. Found this thread after that oil change. Changed that out at 27,600 and put in Mobil1 15W-50 due to "flat tappet" statement in M1 data.
Sent sample of 1100 mi M1 10-30 to Blackstone advising them to look for any unusual "debris" in the oil that could be symptoms of this problem. Sample came back with a statement that engine oil looks good, but only 1100 miles.
I plan an oil sample every other oil change for a while, along with a OPDA gear visual inspection each change. Got to admit, oil change maintenance effort on this Jeep is starting to approach that of my 87 911.
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #775
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Noticed this thread long ago..but only starting looking into issue recently.

My friend has a Jeep built 10-2004 with 42,000 miles on it and mine was built 4-2004 with 43,000 miles. He has the large cap OPDA and I have the smaller old style.

We decided to check them out few days ago since his seemed to be getting poor gas mileage. Since I don't have a top notch scanner to synch the timing correctly I told him I would pull mine first.

My OPDA gear looked great as did my cam gear.

His looked like crap. Scored along the entire length of the tooth and very similar to the ones many have posted pics of.
His cam gear did not look so bad that I think it will not be an issue if we can get this thing fixed soon

So what has been the best solution to this?? If the OPDA gear is crap..what is different about the gear they would sell me at the dealership?? I could go to a junkyard and pull an older OPDA but the sensors are different.
Unread 09-25-2010, 06:52 PM   #776
Hella
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What do you guys think about this one. Mine is an 04 Jeep with a build date motor of Nov of 03. Has random misfiring, camsensor ticks, sluggish. Has 93,000 Miles so I dunno if its normal wear?!?!

Unread 09-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #777
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

That does not look good...
Unread 09-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #778
speed_phreak
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Today me and a buddy tore apart my jeep to install the Hesco high volume oil pump with auxiliary lube shaft pointed at the gear. We had to drop the skid plates in order to remove the exhaust, so that we had enough clearance to drop the pan. Took the better part of 6hrs, but it is done...

The new OPDA has only been in there a couple weeks, so hopefully it wears no more than it has in that time.

Got a better look at the cam gear, there was wear, but i don't think it was bad...

Made what I believe to be a permanent switch to M1 HM 10W-40.

fingers crossed, or to hell with the heep....
speed_phreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #779
Hella
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So do you think its a faulty crank and gear or just normal wear. it has 93000 on it
Unread 09-25-2010, 09:30 PM   #780
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

That does not look normal to me?...

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.