Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 51 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #751
sumday

how much did it cost for the dealer to resynch the cam?

sumday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #752
Knight-Rider
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It cost me an hour of shop time. I actually swapped the part in the parking lot while waiting for my appointment. I tried to get as close as I could.

It fired up right away, but the check engine light was on. No biggie, as I was already in the stealership's parking lot.

The best part was that the noise from the bushing was gone
Knight-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #753
speed_phreak
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumday View Post
how much did it cost for the dealer to resynch the cam?
$50 for me...
speed_phreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 11:37 PM   #754
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

There is a way to re-sync the CPS unit WITHOUT a DRB-III tool.

I spoke with fellow ham radio operator that is an engineer with a company that makes engine control computers. He had a pretty good working knowledge of the JTEC system and how it deals with the cam and crank sync issues.

The JTEC is designed to be able to realize when the CPS is off by up to 15 +/- and compensate. This was designed into the system to deal with gear wear and other system variables that can cause the CPS timing to shift. Because of this if the CPS timing is dead on or 14degrees off the ECU/JTEC compensations and the engine will run the same.

The way to take advantage of this to reset the sync with involving the dealer is as follows.

First you have set the engine at top dead center and install the CPS with the locking pin in place. This will get the CPS with-in about 20 degrees +/- of where it should be. Now snug down the bolt that holds the CPS in place just enough to where it can't turn.

If there is already a error code clear it out and then start the engine. Let the engine idle for about a minute and then if the check engine light doesn't come on rev it up to about 2200 and hold it there for 15-20 seconds. If the check engine light comes only on when you rev it then you close.

Stop the engine and turn it back a touch and try again. Its a trial and error but it only took me about 10 minutes to get it right.

Just realize that if the check engine light comes on idling its grossly off and its probably going to be on the "other side" of where the TDC mark is you found earlier. But if it throws a code at high revs then its pretty close.

So if you don't want to spend the time and money and have a basic el-cheap scan tool that can clear codes, you can re-sync without a DRB-III

FOG
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 05:35 AM   #755
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

FOG,

Not sure if this affects the theories of your engineer friend, but the '05/'06 Wranglers use the newer NGC control module, which is what necessitated the change to the new, failure prone OPDA. The '04 and older Wranglers were the models with JTEC controllers.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #756
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
FOG,

Not sure if this affects the theories of your engineer friend, but the '05/'06 Wranglers use the newer NGC control module, which is what necessitated the change to the new, failure prone OPDA. The '04 and older Wranglers were the models with JTEC controllers.
Its my mix up, he used both terms as talking about the revisions and changes. He was specifically talking about the newer computer that Jeep started using in 05 models.

FOG
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 03:46 AM   #757
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The distributor gears on the older models fail just like the newer models. Go look on jeepstrokers.com and you'll find TONS of examples, and almost everybody there is running older style distributors, not the new module thingy.
Unread 09-18-2010, 02:15 AM   #758
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Wow, I was seriously looking at an 05 Rubicon to replace my tired YJ, but not now, I guess I'll have to up my payments for a JK since they're showing more promise without such hellish failures.

Seriously, Daimler should burn for this, and Chrysler .....uhg no comment.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #759
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My dealer had the part in stock and installed it in a day. They only replaced the OPDA and it cost $100 covered with the 7yr/70,000 mile warranty.
Unread 09-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #760
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That's good you got it covered under warranty. Those of us out of warranty are pretty much screwed though.
Unread 09-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #761
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If not under warranty I planned to get a new one and install myself. It isn't that hard assuming of course there is no damage to the camshaft. I contacted DaveysJeep for a used one for $62 shipped. Moparparts supposedly has them new for just over $100.

All the dealer did was replace my VER-D with a VER-E that everyone is having trouble with. It cost $100 to buy some time.
Unread 09-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #762
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quick summary request.

Is it the general feeling that the lack of lubrication to the OPDA shaft is causing the wear on the gear?

Would removing the cover and lubing the upper chamber (like the WD-40 scenario with a more appropriate lube) prevent this problem?

Or, is the gear wearing due to inferior components? And oiling the OPDA upper will only cover the "laughing monkey"?

Shouldn't the OPDA shaft gear be softer so it is the expendable component instead of the camshaft?
Unread 09-22-2010, 01:36 AM   #763
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
That's good you got it covered under warranty. Those of us out of warranty are pretty much screwed though.
How are you out of warranty? youre 2006 should have 7 year 70,000 mile powertrain. Unless youre the third owner?
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2010, 02:21 AM   #764
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible2 View Post
How are you out of warranty? youre 2006 should have 7 year 70,000 mile powertrain. Unless youre the third owner?
Nope, only had the 3 yr/36000 mile. Its over both of those, I'm the second owner. Ive talked to jeep about this a few times.
Unread 09-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #765
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible2 View Post
06 came with a 3 year 36k warranty. Mine was up 10 months ago and I only hit 30k last week. Sucks, but it is what it is.
srfnfly227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.