Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 50 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #736
Mattyvac
2012 KK Liberty 

Was a copy of the tech bulletin posted anywhere in this thread? or a reference number? I am the second owner of an LJ and want to know if I need this done under my warranty, I have a full stealership warranty until 80k miles and it only has 47k right now.

Mattyvac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #737
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The problem is you can't get anything "done under warranty" until there is a problem. 99% of the dealerships are not going to touch a engine under warranty unless there is a provable problem like a check engine light or abnormal sound.

This is the reason most of us have decided to just buy a new CPS unit and swap it out. If you want till it causes noise or the engine stops running then it has done serious engine damage.

Sure the engine is under warranty but everyone knows the dealer isn't going to go out of his way to fix it properly. The dealer is just going to replace the torn up parts and leave the marginal effected ones in the engine and send you on your way.

FOG
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #738
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonza View Post
what grade of oil WAS you using?
Yes on a 50 page thread that could be the biggest variable or constant for those who have or not had problems.

2005, Havoline 10-30 non-synthetic, no problems ,yet.
Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2010, 07:30 PM   #739
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
Yes on a 50 page thread that could be the biggest variable or constant for those who have or not had problems.

2005, Havoline 10-30 non-synthetic, no problems ,yet.
exactly same oil that I always use. and checked pinion gear at 80,000 kilometers and it was fine

noticed that Havoline is SL rated, or at least it was last time I bought it
Unread 09-14-2010, 07:24 AM   #740
wildride89
2006 TJ Wrangler 

what are the affected build dates for the cam issues?
wildride89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2010, 08:39 AM   #741
rmeredit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildride89 View Post
what are the affected build dates for the cam issues?
All 2005 and 2006 TJs? Possibly more.
rmeredit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2010, 08:56 AM   #742
wildride89
2006 TJ Wrangler 

who can I call and give the vin number to so I can find out?
wildride89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #743
bertaman80
2006 TJ Wrangler 

06 Rubicon

I noticed a ticking noise while driving about 2 years ago. My Rubicon only had 30,000 miles. Chrysler agreed to replace the cam for $100. I just figured I had a bad cam from the factory and they didn't say anything about a recall. But i am glad they fixed the problem.
bertaman80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #744
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildride89 View Post
who can I call and give the vin number to so I can find out?
Owners manuals, recalls, service history, etc:
https://www.jeep.com/hostb/crossbrand/owners/en/
Unread 09-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #745
Knight-Rider
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My 06LJ has 63 000 miles. Yesterday I put in a new OPDA because of a noisy upper bushing. There wasn't any wear on my gear, but the contact patch was a little irregular. I figured that to be the result of driving it with a pooched bushing, although the unit seemed to spin freely.

I use castrol syntec 5w50
Knight-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #746
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight-Rider View Post
My 06LJ has 63 000 miles. Yesterday I put in a new OPDA because of a noisy upper bushing. There wasn't any wear on my gear, but the contact patch was a little irregular. I figured that to be the result of driving it with a pooched bushing, although the unit seemed to spin freely.

I use castrol syntec 5w50
I'd strongly recommend salvaging that gear from the old OPDA...I'm not convinced that new OPDAs necessarily have a good gear with the right metallurgy/hardness.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2010, 09:56 PM   #747
speed_phreak
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here is an update on what I have done...

1.) Purchased new OPDA.

2.) Brought new OPDA to machine shop where it was dissembled and analyzed. As others have discovered, at the factory lube hole for the upper bushing there was lube. However, in my case and in others, there was no way for that lube to EVER enter the busing. Machinist removed the upper bushing and drilled a hole in it that lines up with the reservoir cavity that surrounds the bushing. He reinstalled the busing so that the new bushing hole was on the opposite side of the new zerk, so that the reservoir would fill up with grease.

3.) Machinist compared the stock rev E gear to a Napa Eschlin gear and said they were the same, same hardness, same weight. So he just reinstalled the stock gear.

4.) On the new OPDA, there was quite a bit of play 1/8 or so between the gear and the assembly. I didn't even take the plastic key out before I gave it to the machinist. It was almost as if there was the same amount of play as those who have posted pictures with a replaced gear. However, this was with the stock gear. Rev B OPDA does not have this much play at the gear.

5.) Installed new re-engineered OPDA and took it to the stealership for syncing. I just wanted to make sure...

6.) Purchased Hesco high volume pump with auxiliary oiling tube pointing directly at the gear. Plan to install this next weekend.

7.) The only real concern that remains is the oiling of the bottom bushing. Engine oil is supposed to get sucked up through 4 little passage ways up, around, and over the top of the lower bushing. The machinist thought that the lower busing must sit in a pressurized oil cavity to force oil up through those passages, but that isn't the case. Perhaps the Hesco pump's active oiling of the gear will cover this thing in oil enough that oil will get sucked in for the lower bushing...

If this doesn't fix it, F the heep... I will take pictures of it on the bottom of a lake and post!!!!

Last edited by speed_phreak; 09-14-2010 at 10:23 PM..
speed_phreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #748
Knight-Rider
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
I'd strongly recommend salvaging that gear from the old OPDA...I'm not convinced that new OPDAs necessarily have a good gear with the right metallurgy/hardness.
It is the same part .......rev E

I am keeping the old assembly, so I can tinker with it at a later time. I am thinking about a grease fitting and a brass gear. Then I will have a spare when my new one packs it in.
Knight-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #749
Orange_Buddha
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Has anyone been able to locate/purchase a new (05-06) CPS unit from Chrysler?

What dealer & how much?
Orange_Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #750
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight-Rider View Post
It is the same part .......rev E

I am keeping the old assembly, so I can tinker with it at a later time. I am thinking about a grease fitting and a brass gear. Then I will have a spare when my new one packs it in.
Teh whole "Rev" thing doesn't matter - they could have had batches of bad gears without the proper metallurgical properties. Without the right metallurgy, it's impossible to properly harden the gear, thus resulting in the striated wear patterns we're all seeing.

On another note, I replaced the gear only on mine (shaft and bushings seemed to be OK) with the little kit mentioned in the bulletin sent to dealers. I just pulled the assembly again last week to see if the new gear was wearing after the 3,000 miles or so it had on it....yup...starting to wear again....sigh.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.