Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #61
ElJaynocibuR

There's not a recall, there's a Technical Service Bulletin.

Unread 03-17-2010, 10:41 PM   #62
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMojave View Post
Is there a clear and defined way to verify owners do not have this problem without pulling the camshaft synchronizer? 2006 LJ DATE OF MFR: 4-06.
probably not. I checked the numbers as previously posted and mine didnt fall in that catagory, but as there seem to be problems outside of those decided to pull the cam position sensor today and have a look.

easy job. there is a write up somewhere that details how to do it.

the important thing is to match mark the sensor wheel to the oil pump housing and the housing to the block.

the FSM also states, after reinstalling to 'gain access to "cam/crank relearn" using a DRB scan tool'. I didnt do that and dont know how important that is, but the Jeep is running ok. dont know if that can be done with a scan gauge II.

BTW. upon inspection was happy to find both gears are in pristine condition after 80,000 kilometers
Unread 03-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #63
timberwolf0122
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMojave View Post
Is there a clear and defined way to verify owners do not have this problem without pulling the camshaft synchronizer? 2006 LJ DATE OF MFR: 4-06.
Get a tiny mirror on a stick and a flash light to read the label, you should be able to see the label on the sensor.
Atheist Jeep Club Member #2
MacGyver Club Member #1
Doctor Who has died 10 times, is on his 11th regeneration and has a time machine, beat that Jesus.
I think he's calling his Jeep "Tardis," which is British slang for pimp mobile. - Dangfoo
timberwolf0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #64
tshively
2006 LJ Wrangler 

[IMG][/IMG]

What do you guys think about the wear on the oil pump drive gear? It does not look good to me. The build date on my engine is 10-31-05. The wear is almost identical to ElJaynocibuR drive gear.
tshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #65
ps49556n
2006 TJ Wrangler 

^^^ That is certainly not normal wear, from the looks of it you have this issue.
ps49556n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #66
tshively
2006 LJ Wrangler 

That is what I thought! Guess I call that 800 number and see what they say. Sure does make me nervous having the dealer do a cam swap. From the sounds of things Chrysler is taking care of these problems without much of a fight? BTW it has 38K mi. on it.
tshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #67
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just stumbled across this thread, and this is very enlightening. I have a 2005 Rubicon that at 22K miles blew the oil pump/distributor drive a year ago and left me stranded over 100 miles from home. I trailered it to the dealer who replaced the distributor/oil pump drive under my extended warranty (minus deductible of course.) I wondered why the hell that part failed. Now I know. I'll be hitting my dealer up pronto.

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you fully understand the situation."
AZJeepNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #68
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

what happens if you replace just the drive assembly if it likes like the above pics?
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #69
ElJaynocibuR

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
what happens if you replace just the drive assembly if it likes like the above pics?
Keep in mind that this gear is turned by a gear on the camshaft. BOTH gears will have this similar wear. They will eventually have enough slack to wreak havoc with the fuel injector timing and you will get all kinds of cps and ckp codes.

(You can shine a flash light down in the hole after you remove the camshaft synchronizer assembly and look at the cam gear)

To truly fix this problem once and for good, the camshaft and the oil pump dirve gear should be replaced.

Good luck with it, I hope Chrysler helps all of you out like they did me.
Unread 03-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #70
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Update: First a recap, I had my oil pump drive fail several months ago. My dealer replaced just the distributor/oil-pump drive, and not the camshaft. My build is 12/04, which puts my Jeep square in the middle of the range of affected build dates.

So I called my dealer, and of course they said my VIN wasn't one of the ones that were affected, despite the fact that I've already had the failure. No camshaft for me. If it leaves me stranded again, I'm going to be really pissed.

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you fully understand the situation."
Unread 03-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #71
Woodenya
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Pull the replaced distributer looking thing and check for new wear. If your cam gear is worn (and I bet it is) the new part should have abnormal wear marks on it again. Then show your dealer. Call the Chrysler 1800 I’m pissed number and complain!
'06 TJ [B]Rubi[/B] (Light Metalic Khaki) 6sp, Bought 3-10 w/6500 miles. 31 MTR's, UCF alum UHC T-case & engine skid w/ LoPro, Rokmen gas tank & steer gear skid, Ridler dif covers F/R, Warn 8274-50, Optima Yellow top, Pro Comp front 3/4" spacers, Currie 1" BL, Bomb Proof MML, Novak cable shifter, AGR Super Box 2, Warn rear bumper/tire carrier, Rubi locker mod/pumps moved to engine bay, OBA. Build to come...
Woodenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #72
ElJaynocibuR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country1 View Post
Pull the replaced distributer looking thing and check for new wear. If your cam gear is worn (and I bet it is) the new part should have abnormal wear marks on it again. Then show your dealer. Call the Chrysler 1800 I’m pissed number and complain!
Exactly what he said^. I bet your new gear is now wearing abnormally too.
Unread 03-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #73
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

is there a more permanent fix for this problem besides constantly swapping oil pump drives? could a previous year engine with a different oil drive assembly setup be used?
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #74
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country1 View Post
Not all that simple, because the vehicle would need to be retimed. There's a post above that references a specific dealer machine to do this. Here's the quote: 'gain access to "cam/crank relearn" using a DRB scan tool'

I called Jeep, and believe it or not, they told me I must work though a dealer. "For some reason", they couldn't access the TSB database. Man, that really pissed me off.

Unread 03-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #75
zaxrubiunl
2006 LJ Wrangler 

just happened on this thread ! i need to go check my #'s my LJ is an 06',but isn't 06 last year for 4.0's ? couldnt they be carry over s from 05'builds ? like back in the 70's etc... makes me wonder/worry i bought mine used 27k just over 30k now no problems that i know of prior to being mine
zaxrubiunl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.