Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 49 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header Panel

Reply
Unread 09-04-2010, 11:08 PM   #721
RubiOR
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkki1230 View Post
Same here.
Ditto.

Has anyone installed a replacement unit yet? I remember instructions earlier in this thread about marking the position of the assembly before removal so that it goes back in with the correct orientation. For a new unit, would we just rotate the engine until the alignment hole is in position? Then out with the old and in with the new? I've read through the Ignition Control doc here (Jeep Service Manuals) but I'm still not clear.

__________________
'06 Solar Yellow Rubicon Unlimited -- The Big Yellow Brick
Their huge yellow spaceships hung in the air in exactly the same way that bricks don't. -- Douglas Adams, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
RubiOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2010, 11:41 PM   #722
Sweeney
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Spencer, MA
Posts: 1,311
Just turn the engine until the first cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke then drop in the new unit and you're done as long as the new OPDA has the tone wheel aligned/pinned to the housing.
Sweeney is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 02:27 AM   #723
tkki1230
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiOR View Post
Ditto.

Has anyone installed a replacement unit yet? I remember instructions earlier in this thread about marking the position of the assembly before removal so that it goes back in with the correct orientation. For a new unit, would we just rotate the engine until the alignment hole is in position? Then out with the old and in with the new? I've read through the Ignition Control doc here (Jeep Service Manuals) but I'm still not clear.
Don't use the alignment holes for position. Get the alignment holes close, and then look at your Balancer for TDC. It is a little tick mark on the inside edge of the Hub. Line up the mark, and then drop in the new unit. It won't drop in all the way unless the shaft is in the Oil pump slot. Don't forget to remove the alignment pin in the new unit.
tkki1230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #724
RubiOR
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 190
Hrm... looking at the picture in post 528 (here)... The only way I can see the pointer is from under the Jeep but the angle at which I'm looking at it is so twisted I don't see how I can manage to line up anything. From the top there's too much stuff in the way to see the pointer at all. I did find a bit of a nick in the balancer that I'm guessing is the alignment mark.

What's wrong with turning the crank until the old one's alignment hole is in position, then pulling it & dropping in the new? I'm not doubting your advice, I'm wondering what I'm missing.
__________________
'06 Solar Yellow Rubicon Unlimited -- The Big Yellow Brick
Their huge yellow spaceships hung in the air in exactly the same way that bricks don't. -- Douglas Adams, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
RubiOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #725
tkki1230
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiOR View Post
Hrm... looking at the picture in post 528 (here)... The only way I can see the pointer is from under the Jeep but the angle at which I'm looking at it is so twisted I don't see how I can manage to line up anything. From the top there's too much stuff in the way to see the pointer at all. I did find a bit of a nick in the balancer that I'm guessing is the alignment mark.

What's wrong with turning the crank until the old one's alignment hole is in position, then pulling it & dropping in the new? I'm not doubting your advice, I'm wondering what I'm missing.

Because of the gear mesh wear, your unit is probably not in sync with the Crankshaft anymore. I know that my tone wheel had at least 1/16 of slop. Why not try to start from zero?

The proper way is to get it close so you can fire up the engine, and then use a Scan tool or take it to the Dealer/Servicing to do the sync. I'm not sure where I read this, but someone said that you can be off by +/- 11 degrees before the engine starts to throw codes.
tkki1230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #726
RubiOR
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 190
Ah. So if I turn the crank until the alignment hole is in position I may not be at TDC due to the gear mesh wear. If my mental image is correct, it would actually be a bit past TDC due to the wear. That makes sense, thanks for your patience!

Now I just have to find a gasket & figure out how to get that nick lined up with the alignment mark. I may call my friends a the local offroad shop and see if they have a scan tool too. I don't distrust the local dealership but I trust the offroad shop somewhat more...

FWIW, though I haven't removed the old unit yet, as best as I can see the sticker it is a Rev E part (same as the new unit). I bought the Jeep a couple of years ago with 16k on the clock but I don't know the maintenance history of the PO.
__________________
'06 Solar Yellow Rubicon Unlimited -- The Big Yellow Brick
Their huge yellow spaceships hung in the air in exactly the same way that bricks don't. -- Douglas Adams, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
RubiOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #727
tkki1230
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiOR View Post
Ah. So if I turn the crank until the alignment hole is in position I may not be at TDC due to the gear mesh wear. If my mental image is correct, it would actually be a bit past TDC due to the wear. That makes sense, thanks for your patience!

Now I just have to find a gasket & figure out how to get that nick lined up with the alignment mark. I may call my friends a the local offroad shop and see if they have a scan tool too. I don't distrust the local dealership but I trust the offroad shop somewhat more...

FWIW, though I haven't removed the old unit yet, as best as I can see the sticker it is a Rev E part (same as the new unit). I bought the Jeep a couple of years ago with 16k on the clock but I don't know the maintenance history of the PO.
If you are careful when you remove the unit, you'll find that the old gasket will be stuck underneath the unit flange. You can scrape it off with a razor, and use it again.
tkki1230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #728
Terrible2
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 869
So... did anyone ever find a good aftermarket replacement?

Also to clarify, is it just the camshaft and possibly the gears if this has been going on too long?
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2010, 09:17 AM   #729
chutta
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: grand rapids, mi
Posts: 1,194
I just had my cps replaced last week, cam gear supposedly ok. Cross my fingers I guess
__________________
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #730
Jp90Talon
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 144
Well I I have a funny feeling that my Jeep may be one of the jeeps that needed this recall done. Was out driving this weekend and suddenly CEL's and warning buzzers galore! Look down and I dont have any oil pressure at all. Turned it off right away and checked the oil (full no leaks) and the sensor still attached. Will be calling the dealership tomorrow. I am the 3rd owner so no warrenty at all so I really hope that this falls under the safety recall.
Jp90Talon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #731
tulman22
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SE Atl, Ga
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp90Talon View Post
Well I I have a funny feeling that my Jeep may be one of the jeeps that needed this recall done. Was out driving this weekend and suddenly CEL's and warning buzzers galore! Look down and I dont have any oil pressure at all. Turned it off right away and checked the oil (full no leaks) and the sensor still attached. Will be calling the dealership tomorrow. I am the 3rd owner so no warrenty at all so I really hope that this falls under the safety recall.
How any miles on it??
Keep us updated.
__________________
US Navy "SPOOK" RETIRED
Impact Orange member # 39
tulman22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #732
Jp90Talon
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulman22 View Post
How any miles on it??
Keep us updated.
Just over 50k....
Jp90Talon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #733
TheFog
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Galveston, Texas
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp90Talon View Post
I really hope that this falls under the safety recall.
It never was a "safety recall" or any type of recall for that matter. It was a technical service bulletin/TSB issue by D/C.

Some people are having luck with getting D/C to warranty it out but most are not. What makes the biggest difference is the quality of the dealership. If the dealer does it under D/C TSB they get paid a labor allowance that is far less than what they would charge you. So its in their best interest not to help you one bit with D/C in trying to get it covered.

That's why the dealer will make allot of difference in the outcome.


On a unrelated topic I put a new cam gear on my REV-E unit and switched to Mobil 1 0W-40 which is ACEA A3/B3 rated. Going to run it for a few thousand miles and pull it again and see how its doing with the new oil. One thing I immediately noticed with the 0W-40 is the engine sounds allot smoother while warming up.


FOG
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #734
bonza
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Melbourne, Victoria
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
On a unrelated topic I put a new cam gear on my REV-E unit and switched to Mobil 1 0W-40 which is ACEA A3/B3 rated. Going to run it for a few thousand miles and pull it again and see how its doing with the new oil. One thing I immediately noticed with the 0W-40 is the engine sounds allot smoother while warming up.


FOG
what grade of oil WAS you using?
__________________
I like a man who grins when he fights
— Winston Churchill..
bonza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #735
Fropleyqk
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Posts: 4,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiOR View Post
Ditto.

Has anyone installed a replacement unit yet? I remember instructions earlier in this thread about marking the position of the assembly before removal so that it goes back in with the correct orientation. For a new unit, would we just rotate the engine until the alignment hole is in position? Then out with the old and in with the new? I've read through the Ignition Control doc here (Jeep Service Manuals) but I'm still not clear.
Here's my writeup on replacing the unit (already linked twice in this thread), just orient the new unit to the same position as the old, make sure you have a gasket on the new one going in:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...-angry-876488/

Startes on page 2 or 3.
__________________
Okinawa Jeep Club
Fropleyqk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.