Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 48 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 09-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #706
Peterpsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeredit View Post
Peterpsc - Can you tell us anything about the Hesco pump, and the installation of it? How is the quality compared to OEM? On your '06 LJ - did you have to modify the pan to install it? Wondering specifically about pan baffles as I haven't pulled one myself.
Quality is excellent compared to OEM...will it perform better (?) that remains to be seen but I'm sure the oiling tube will provide assistance for lubricating the gear that's been problematic for us. Yes, the pan must be "worked" a little (ball-peen hammer) nothing serious.

FWIW, as I and others have stated, I'm "believing" our problem w/ the worn gears are a function of poor lubrication and lack of zddp. From what I've read, the oil additive changes over the years has worked against engines like the 4.0, and the Hesco oiling tube approach (I think) is superior compared to the "oil splash" method. Again, only time will tell.

Peterpsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #707
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

In my personal opinion, if this problem was caused by low zddp oil, it would be affecting a wide range of 4.0L engines, not just those in the specific model years (like 05/06) having this issue.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #708
Peterpsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
In my personal opinion, if this problem was caused by low zddp oil, it would be affecting a wide range of 4.0L engines, not just those in the specific model years (like 05/06) having this issue.
That's a good point and I don't disagree.

I have no idea, exactly, what's causing the premature failures but the extra oiling via the Hesco tube approach can't hurt. I think the ZDDP issue is well documented with cams/flat-tappets and so forth but I didn't mean to imply lack of ZDDP itself was the primary cause of failures. Just a little extra insurance w/ the additive, IMHO.

It's clearly a Chrysler problem but it appears they're not stepping up to the plate and offer to help us out. My approach is simple do what I can to best avoid a potential problem. So far I've confirmed I don't have the premature wear and of course I'd like to keep that way.
Unread 09-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #709
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Exactly. If you look at the 2 different designs of the OPDA's, the shaft/bushing/gear setup is almost the same, with only a few differences. The Gears are EXACTLY the same. Some members have already tested the hardness to confirm this. I've confirmed that the older gear fits on the 06 shaft without any modification. Why are the 05-06 gears not lasting as long as the older style? It is my opinion also that it's not the oil.

But the shafts are DIFFERENT. The earlier model has an oil groove in the shaft that forces oil into the lower bushing and unit cavity, and has a oil seal at the top of the upper bushing to keep the oil from seeping out. The 05-06 unit does not have this groove in the shaft. Although the lower bushing dimension is EXACTLY the same as the older unit, it DOES NOT get oil from an oil groove like the earlier models.The upper bushing relies on grease that is packed into a cavity, and is supposed to last the lifetime of the unit.

In ALL of the older style units that I checked (3 of them with high mileage), the shafts were pristine, and the gears showed very little wear. In my 06, the shaft is wasted. I can tell just by looking at the major scoring and grooves that are present in the lower bushing area of the shaft, that it is running fairly dry. How much resistance this is causing is unknown, but on my unit, it opened up a lot of slop between the bushing and the shaft too. From what I can see, this is the major difference between the older and newer style units.

How many of you have actually went as far as disassembled your units, and looked at the shaft instead of just looking at the gear?
tkki1230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #710
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkki1230 View Post
But the shafts are DIFFERENT. The earlier model has an oil groove in the shaft that forces oil into the lower bushing and unit cavity, and has a oil seal at the top of the upper bushing to keep the oil from seeping out. The 05-06 unit does not have this groove in the shaft. Although the lower bushing is EXACTLY the same as the older unit, it DOES NOT get oil from an oil groove like the earlier models.The upper bushing relies on grease that is packed into a cavity, and is supposed to last the lifetime of the unit.
I think this analysis is correct. for plain bushings it's usually standard practice to have a groove for lube in either the bush or the journal. if the bush or shaft wears this will allow the gear mesh to disengage slightly or if it doesnt wear it could create friction and apply greater load to the gears

do the older style units have the upper bush lubed by oil?
Unread 09-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #711
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonza View Post
do the older style units have the upper bush lubed by oil?
It looks like the older style relies on that groove to push oil into the cavity where the bushing sits. There must be adequate lubrication because of the presence of that oil seal. The big difference between the two units regarding the upper bushing is the length. The older style is shorter by about half an inch. The newer style bushing protrudes up in the unit body, and has no seal. I feel that there is very little load on that upper bushing. Here are some pics. You can see the oil seal and shorter bushing on the older style.
new.jpg   old.jpg  
Unread 09-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #712
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a pic of a side by side comparison. You can see the oil groove on the older style shaft (upper one). Even with the crappy phone pic, if you look at my 06 shaft (lower one), you can see the major scoring right above the teeth.
2.jpg  
Unread 09-03-2010, 06:04 AM   #713
rmeredit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thoughts about taking a NEW unit and having an oiling groove cut into it?
rmeredit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2010, 07:37 AM   #714
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeredit View Post
Thoughts about taking a NEW unit and having an oiling groove cut into it?
^This is my plan.

I just got the new unit in yesterday. The shaft on my current OPDA is lightly scored in the area of the lower bushing. The upper portion is fine.

Once I swap units I'm going to look into machining a sleeve to press over the upper bushing where it protrudes from the housing into which I can insert a seal. I would, of course, remove the inner seal below the upper bushing and continue the shaft's oil groove to the upper bushing.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2010, 08:04 AM   #715
Peterpsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkki1230 View Post
Here's a pic of a side by side comparison. You can see the oil groove on the older style shaft (upper one). Even with the crappy phone pic, if you look at my 06 shaft (lower one), you can see the major scoring right above the teeth.
Looks like you detailed the differences between what has worked and what has not. Great job, thank you. My hope is the oiling tube on the Hesco pump takes care of the lack of lubrication problem.
Unread 09-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #716
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My new OPDA came in yesterday from moparpartsamerica.com. Nothing in the box but the drive. Should there be a gasket? I haven't pulled the old one yet since I don't want to be gasket-less on a three-day weekend...
Unread 09-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #717
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nope no gasket, all they ship is the assembly plus a little plastic indexing plug. Oriellys and Autozone both carry the gasket but their computer doesn't come up with it for a recent TJ so just ask for like a 2000 TJ gasket.

FOG
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #718
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
Nope no gasket, all they ship is the assembly plus a little plastic indexing plug. Oriellys and Autozone both carry the gasket but their computer doesn't come up with it for a recent TJ so just ask for like a 2000 TJ gasket.
Thanks Fog!

I've gathered up and summarized what I've learned here so far: OPDA Solution Summary

If I've left anything out, please let me know and I'll update.
Unread 09-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #719
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I didn't expect this (not sure why) but mine came with the sensor installed. How about you guys?
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #720
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
I didn't expect this (not sure why) but mine came with the sensor installed. How about you guys?
Same here.

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.