Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 47 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #691
rmeredit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

FOG - That is interesting information. I didn't realize the unit had been replaced already. What is your recommendation for me @ this point? I've changed to a decent oil, am thinking about installing a new (Rev-E) OPDA and installing one of Hesco's high volume oil pumps w/ the sprayer tube that lubricates this gear. Any other advice?

Does anyone know if the Jeep engineers are actually aware of this problem & are they going to get us another part made OR are we SOL as they know these models/engines will soon be dropping out of warranty so it won't be their problem any longer?

rmeredit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #692
dtc503

Rev e

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeredit View Post
FOG - That is interesting information. I didn't realize the unit had been replaced already. What is your recommendation for me @ this point? I've changed to a decent oil, am thinking about installing a new (Rev-E) OPDA and installing one of Hesco's high volume oil pumps w/ the sprayer tube that lubricates this gear. Any other advice?

Does anyone know if the Jeep engineers are actually aware of this problem & are they going to get us another part made OR are we SOL as they know these models/engines will soon be dropping out of warranty so it won't be their problem any longer?
I have a 2006 and I'm the original and only owner. My OPDG assembly has the REV E. I doubt that it was repalced back in September of 2006 when I bought it.
ricks-2006-jeep-wrangler-date-code-106003-rev-e.jpg  
dtc503 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #693
FarFire70
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpsc View Post
I added the Hesco pump and ZDDP additive to Royal Purple 10-40.

Hesco Inc. - High Performance Engine Service
How long ago did you install this? Did your gear fail before you did this?

Have you checked your wear since you installed it?

I'd be interested to know ho much of a permanent solution this is or if it's another band-aide.

2005 Wrangler Sport, 4.0L, 6spd
2" BB, JKS 1.25" BL & MML, M/T MTZ 33x12.50R15
HP D30: Aussie Locker, D44: Eaton Elocker
FarFire70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #694
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFire70 View Post

I'd be interested to know ho much of a permanent solution this is or if it's another band-aide.
I would love to see the condition of the not only the gears but the shafts too.
tkki1230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #695
gunner87
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I pulled my OPDA this afternoon. My vehicle build date is 5/06 and the engine build date is 1/06. I am very fortunate in that my gear showed very little wear.....it is really just a bright spot around 1/3 inch long on each tooth. No wear on cam gear. I now have a check engine light on, so I guess the timing is off a little. Before pulling the assembly, I marked the tone ring in 2 places and also pegged the tone ring against the housing with an allen wrench. I also marked the housing as relative to the mounting strap and block. I guess I am off to the stealership tomorrow to have the cam timing reset.

I am one of those that just got lucky (so far)....but I still don't trust the jeep for long trips. By the way, I always use Pennzoil Platium 10-30 and Wix filters.
Unread 09-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #696
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc503 View Post
I have a 2006 and I'm the original and only owner. My OPDG assembly has the REV E. I doubt that it was repalced back in September of 2006 when I bought it.
Another 06 here with original owner and REV E.
Unread 09-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #697
rmeredit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

After seeing your posts, I checked the maintenance records I got w/ my '06 LJ, checked the Jeep website, and then called the service dept. My '06 DID come with a REV-E part, from the factory. It has never been changed, positive.
Unread 09-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #698
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well then I'm wrong about the REV-E units. Its just I've seen a bunch of 06 TJs with REV-D units including mine. Supposedly the REV-E units where made after the end of the TJ production line when the E-05 TSB came out.

FOG
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #699
dtc503

Another 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
Well then I'm wrong about the REV-E units. Its just I've seen a bunch of 06 TJs with REV-D units including mine. Supposedly the REV-E units where made after the end of the TJ production line when the E-05 TSB came out.

FOG
My dad just had his OPDA replaced on his 2006 Jeep Original date code for the defective unit was: 106017 REV E...the NEW OPGA date code is: 106132 REV E

So can someone explain how to read the date code?
Thanks
dtc503 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #700
Tryer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Likewise, I have rev E. Checked the assembly today. Date was 2/06 on the OPGA. I had "even" wear all the way around the gear. Some wear at 20.5k miles. Doesn't look like anything to be too concerned about at this time. I will keep an eye on it. I am running mobil 1 HM 10W-30.
Tryer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #701
Sleeperman
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Great discussion!

I hope Chrysler engineers are allowed to talk as openly as in this thread. But I doubt their management cares, since warranties are expiring.

My 2001 TJ's upper end was rebuilt this year (cam, lifters, etc.) b/o damage related to oil sludge/inadequate lubrication. Although it runs great now, no way I would take it on a long trip, if you know what I mean.

Recently, I almost bought a 2005 Rubicon LJ. Now, I'm wondering if a JK might be a better idea for the next 5-10 years; low interest rates are very tempting...
Sleeperman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #702
Bishop Creek
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc503 View Post
My dad just had his OPDA replaced on his 2006 Jeep Original date code for the defective unit was: 106017 REV E...the NEW OPGA date code is: 106132 REV E

So can someone explain how to read the date code?
Thanks
Hmmm..., mine is 105132 REV-B
Unread 09-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #703
Tryer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeperman View Post
Recently, I almost bought a 2005 Rubicon LJ. Now, I'm wondering if a JK might be a better idea for the next 5-10 years; low interest rates are very tempting...
I just bought a 2006 Rubi two months ago. I have read this whole thread, and have worried it to death. If I had it to do over, I would still buy a low mileage 2005 or 2006. The last of the great ones.
Tryer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 09:12 AM   #704
Peterpsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFire70 View Post

No the gear did not fail in fact it's in excellent shape but I only have 10,300 miles.

IMHO, I believe it's the lack of lubrication and oil with insufficient amounts of zddp that's causing our problems but obviously the jury is still out.

Installed Hesco pump as a precautionary measure. FWIW, I've always used oil in the jeep with higher than average zddp ratings because of experience with "older" engines in muscle cars.

Along with the Hesco pump, I'm also adding a zddp additive. I'm not worried about catalytic failure...besides my engine isn't buring oil in significant amounts to cause catalytic failure from "too much" zddp. Purchased the zddp additive here: ZDDPlus™ - ZDDP Additive for Classic Cars - Agricultural Equipment & More

Installation of Hesco pump was on Monday of this week so no opportunity as yet to check for wear.

I don't know if this a permanent solution or a bandaid but I'm betting it'll help.
Peterpsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #705
rmeredit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Peterpsc - Can you tell us anything about the Hesco pump, and the installation of it? How is the quality compared to OEM? On your '06 LJ - did you have to modify the pan to install it? Wondering specifically about pan baffles as I haven't pulled one myself.

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.