Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 45 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #661
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The M1 0W40 looks really good. Unfortunately, Wal-Mart does not carry that one in the 5 qt jugs which makes it pricey.

I've been running Syntec 10W30 in the Rubi. Oil analysis at 40K looked really good. Going to send in another one at this change, will be 60K on it.

The M1 HM oils are a good choice for the 4.0 as well.

Unread 08-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #662
rmeredit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Has anyone made any progress with this issue? What is the current, recommended, approach to FIX this issue - if any? I have a 2006 that is slightly out of warranty which has a seriously F'd OPDA gear. To me, this seems like a get rid of the POS issue as I need a reliable vehicle that doesn't need a CAM as part of routine maintenance...

Are there any aftermarket parts that can fix this? Is there any method of converting this thing to a system that does not rely on the opda gear for the cam sensor?

I see people complaining about this all over but most people seem to be replacing the OPDA & getting a replacement for the next 30k. That seems pathetic.
rmeredit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #663
jg928s4
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wish mine fell in that category....I've got an 2002 with those issues but I've got 160K

"I've got the aerodynamics of a billboard and the gas mileage that will make a Prius owner cry... What's your point?"
jg928s4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #664
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg928s4 View Post
Wish mine fell in that category....I've got an 2002 with those issues but I've got 160K
I'm seeing more and more of earlier Jeeps with the same problem. I'm really starting to agree with the guys at Hesco that this is being caused by reformulated motor oil.

FOG
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #665
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Is there a good list somewhere of oils that have the ACEA A3 rating, or is the best way to do it just to go to the store and look at the back of every bottle?

Are there dino oils that meet ACEA A3, or is full synth the only way to get it? I've never really bought into the whole synthetic thing and I'd prefer not having to start. Especially since oil changes will be twice as much.

The oil I put in my Harley is $10/qt but it stings less since the crankcase is only 2 qts and I only ride it enough to change it once a year.
Unread 08-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #666
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DstroyrOfWrldz View Post
The oil I put in my Harley is $10/qt but it stings less since the crankcase is only 2 qts and I only ride it enough to change it once a year.
The crankcase doesn't hold the bulk of the oil, the oil tank does. What Harley holds only 2 quarts of motor oil?...
Unread 08-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #667
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
I'm seeing more and more of earlier Jeeps with the same problem. I'm really starting to agree with the guys at Hesco that this is being caused by reformulated motor oil.

FOG
I have a number of Hesco speed parts in my motor including an H264 cam and a set of Harlan Sharp roller rockers. I listened very closely to the Hesco guys when they were advising us on what oil to run. I originally went with Rotella T 15w40 which I ran for awhile but then the additive package in it was dialed down so I switched.

I know Jerry hates Amsoil

.....but, they do have a real nice 10w40 high zinc oil that is specifically formulated for high performance flat tappet cam motors. I switched to this a little over a year ago. I have close to 20k on this motor and if anything, it runs better now that it is nicely broken in and if the hot cam and valve train was going to take a crap due to oil related issues, it surely would have by now.

My take is that the advice going around on using a oil with a good zddp package in it is right on.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #668
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
The crankcase doesn't hold the bulk of the oil, the oil tank does. What Harley holds only 2 quarts of motor oil?...
I know it's in the tank, I say crankcase to differentiate it from the transmission and primary. And now that I think about it, it takes almost 4, it was my Suzuki that only took two. Side effect of not having to change oil often is having to look up the oil capacity every time lol.
Unread 08-31-2010, 06:24 PM   #669
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post

FOG
I just posted this in the Motor Oil Choice. I am adding it here with additional information that pertains to the oil pump drive assembly. I have also trimmed out pieces of the original post.

After reading the recent responses I contacted Hesco and spoke with Bennie. Hesco is the designer and provider of many Mopar products and I trust their advice. After a very informative education lesson on engine oil, camshaft gears and flat tappet cams I am switching today to non-synthetic(dino) oil with a ACEA A3 and more ZDDP additives.

There seems to still be an outstanding issue with a lack of proper lubrication to the bushing at the top of the oil pump drive assembly.

I would love to see a response from owners who have experienced the premature cam shaft gear wear with the below.

1. Year of the vehicle and model(Wrangler or Wrangler Unlimited)
2. Length of ownership(Did you buy it new or used? If used how many miles were on it when purchased?)
3. Current millage
4. Frequency of oil change and all oils used

Because our 4.0 straight 6 uses flat tappet cam we need to pay extra attention to the engine oil we use. This also applies to the cam shaft gear on the oil pump drive assembly. According to Bennie this is not new issue and they started seeing the same failures 5 years ago on older wranglers as well as newer ones up to 2006.

The sliding frictional forces are much higher on flat tappet cams compared to roller tappet cams. To combat this we need to ensure we use an engine oil that matches the specifications of the oil it was designed, tested and proven to work with. Remember, we are running an engine that was first introduced in 1987 and has only been refined since it was retired at the end of 2006. ZDDP is an anti-wear additive and high levels of it were in place when the engine was designed and we need to make sure the engine oil we run has sufficient numbers of ZDDP.

In recent years many additives have been removed due to regulations from the EPA; specifically ZDDP(The EPA "claims" the additives increase the breakdown of catalytic converters. This is due to small amount of oil leaking past rings and seals.). In synthetic oils, especially the ones from Mobile 1 it is an even bigger issue. Synthetic oils are more "slippery" than conventional oils and may cause increased levels of wear on flat tapped cams.

This is a consumer education issue and an issue with the oil companies evolving their formula without properly indicating to consumers the oil may cause damage to their older engines. Mobile 1, along with the majority of major oil manufactures have modified their oil formulas to produce the best efficiency in modern engines(Which the majority are now roller tappet cams).

Last edited by Zetto; 08-31-2010 at 09:46 PM..
Zetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 06:42 PM   #670
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetto View Post
After reading the recent responses I contacted Hesco and spoke with Bennie. Hesco is the designer and provider of many Mopar products and I trust their advice. After a very informative education lesson on engine oil, camshaft gears and flat tappet cams I am switching today to non-synthetic(dino) oil with more ZDDP additives.
So, what's your favorite flavor then?
Unread 08-31-2010, 07:12 PM   #671
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've personally switched over to the Valvoline VR1 10W-30 - it's reasonably priced as compared with the exotic synthetics and it meets an older spec when flat tappet engines were more "common". Works out to about the same price as a conventional oil and some ZDDP additive. So far so good...
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 09:48 PM   #672
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiOR View Post
So, what's your favorite flavor then?
I am still researching oils but it will be one that has a ACEA A3 rating. After reading the "My oil is killing my engine!" thread on ROF I am believing ZDDP is just masking the problem.
Unread 08-31-2010, 09:57 PM   #673
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetto View Post
I am still researching oils but it will be one that has a ACEA A3 rating. After reading the "My oil is killing my engine!" thread on ROF I am believing ZDDP is just masking the problem.
I would really like to try Royal Purple 10w30 or 10w40 but they do not advertise the ACEA A3 rating(They are not an international company and do not see the ROI). However, they do advertise the SL rating.
Unread 08-31-2010, 10:27 PM   #674
speed_phreak
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have switched to Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W-40. Supposedly, it has over 1100ppm Zinc and a decent number of other additives. The diesel guys say it is weak for a diesel oil, but that probably makes it just about right for our application. The engine sure is quieter, compared to before its like I could almost the metal innards grinding away..

I currently live in an area that gets down into the teens in winter and may need to find something in the dino 10w-30 ballpark. I am quite curious to see what others find as a 10w-30 dino alternative. The ROF thread mentioned that Halvoline HM 10w-30 was a ACEA A3 rated dino oil, but I haven't come across a place that stocks it yet...
speed_phreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2010, 12:26 AM   #675
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

hmmm ... the jeep dealership here in AbuDhabi/UAE (HOT desert climate) put some Mobil Super XHP 20W50 (!!!) in, according their invoice for the last major service at 40000 km (actually done at 37500 km and now at 41000 km)! (my 06 TJ is still under extended chrysler warranty )

according to the internet this seems to be an old labeling and the new product name is Mobil Super 1000 and does not satisfy ACEA A3 anymore (but still API SL,SM,CF)

NO INFO about ZDDP in Mobil Super XHP aka Super 1000 ... but some bikers and V8 guys swear on Super XHP 20/50...

1. Have to make sure that the invoice is correct
2. Have to find out what additive characteristics are in there

graaah ... at least it is conventional oil for high performance applications from a good company
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.