Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 41 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #601
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage1969 View Post
FYI, according to NAPA, these are the specs on the DG402:

# Distributor Drive Gear Teeth : 13 Teeth
Distributor Gear & Pin I.D. : 0.5324"- 0.5332"
Distributor Gear & Pin O.D. : 1.03"
Distributor Gear Height : 1.031"
Distributor Gear Pitch Direction : Right Hand

It appears to have about the same hole placement as the Crown gear, correct me if I'm wrong here.
I agree it does seem to have the same hole placement as the Crown gear

just measured the Crown gear with a micrometer and it is:-

Gear ID: 0.532"
Gear OD: 1.020"
Overall Gear Height: 1.249" this is a lot different as specified by the NAPA gear. I think the NAPA dimension is a mistake
Gear Teeth Height: 0.772"
Gear Direction: RH
Number of Teeth: 13
The OD is concentric to the ID by less than 0.001" and it has been hardened.
going to do a hardness check, hopefully today and will post what it is in Rockwell

Unread 08-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #602
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

for the Crown gear
did the hardness test using an Le testing machine
the gear being small was a bit difficult to test, but got a few good readings off the face of the pinion

for comparison purposes did the conversion from Le to Brinell Hb scale with standard ball

mild steel typically at most: 144 Hb
Crown Gear: 231 Hb, about 21 Rockwell c

so at it is hardened, but it is not particularly hard, but then again if it is well lubricated and to dimensional spec and there is no real restance to its rotational action, it doesnt have to be
Unread 08-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #603
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

wait, didn't the stock gear come out at 27Rc? So this one is softer than the stock gear?
Unread 08-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #604
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DstroyrOfWrldz View Post
wait, didn't the stock gear come out at 27Rc? So this one is softer than the stock gear?
I dont know where that hardness came from, maybe that was the hardness of the cam shaft gear. In my experience the driving gear in most cases is harder than the driven gear so 27 cam gear to 21 distributor gear may be ok
Unread 08-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #605
Savage1969
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonza View Post
I dont know where that hardness came from, maybe that was the hardness of the cam shaft gear. In my experience the driving gear in most cases is harder than the driven gear so 27 cam gear to 21 distributor gear may be ok
That is also my experience for what it's worth. My industry deals with ultra-high pressure water pumps and accessories. All our drive gears are equal to or harder than the driven gear.

I should have the NAPA gear in hand by this weekend. I truly expect it to be exactly the same as the Crown gear though, my guess is it's the same source manufacturer.

Last edited by Savage1969; 08-23-2010 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: clarify drive vs. driven
Savage1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2010, 07:39 AM   #606
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The first thing that jumped out at me is the 0.010" difference in OD of the gears. I wonder if that 5 thousandths difference is enough to push the gear mesh over the edge.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #607
speed_phreak
2005 TJ Wrangler 

FYI - I sent Crown Automotive inquiring about the source of their gears since there was no origination information with the part.

I also sent him a link to this thread and suggested that his company may want to investigate this issue and look into creating a new drop in replacement gear for us. Perhaps others might want to send him an email as well. If we can show the demand, I don't see why they wouldn't look into relocating the hole and making sure everything matches up for our application.

Here was their response...

-------------

Hi this part is not made in China it is made in Spain where most
quality gears come from.

Thanks

Mark Consiglio
National Sales Manager
Crown Automotive Sales Co. Inc.,
781-319-three one zero zero
mark 'at' crownautomotive 'dot' net

--------------

Last edited by speed_phreak; 08-20-2010 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: Changed contact information to not throw this guy under the buss with the SPAMBOTS!
speed_phreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #608
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
The first thing that jumped out at me is the 0.010" difference in OD of the gears. I wonder if that 5 thousandths difference is enough to push the gear mesh over the edge.
shouldnt. by rights there should be a fair bit of clearance between the root and tips of gears.

what makes a difference is the tooth thickness. I was going to measure that, but my small gear tooth caliper has been "borrowed". will measure it early next week and work out what "DP" or "module" gear profile it is. from there I can work out what OD it should be and what tooth thickness it should be, then will report back

glad they are made in Spain. the Spanish have a lot of good mechanical industry expertise
Unread 08-21-2010, 12:55 AM   #609
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I just got the wonderful news from my dad in the states. The jeep just destroyed ANOTHER cam gear and it took the cam out with it this time. Awesome My dad is not up to the task of pulling the head and swapping cams by himself. I guess it'll just get parked for a LONG time until I get back to the states
Unread 08-21-2010, 01:06 AM   #610
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylinesSuck View Post
Well, I just got the wonderful news from my dad in the states. The jeep just destroyed ANOTHER cam gear and it took the cam out with it this time. Awesome My dad is not up to the task of pulling the head and swapping cams by himself. I guess it'll just get parked for a LONG time until I get back to the states
so, you are talking about about a '98 Wrangler?
Unread 08-21-2010, 01:45 AM   #611
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Clarify your statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage1969 View Post
That is also my experience for what it's worth. My industry deals with ultra-high pressure water pumps and accessories. All driven gears are equal or harder than the driven gear.

I should have the NAPA gear in hand by this weekend. I truly expect it to be exactly the same as the Crown gear though, my guess is it's the same source manufacturer.
anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2010, 02:37 AM   #612
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yes I am. The cam/dizzy gear contact is no different between the years. I also run a stroker with an aftermarket cam, high volume oil pump, and have chewed up 4 different gears over 2 different motors and 3 cams. There's lots of factors. It's not only the year it was made.
Unread 08-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #613
Peterpsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hesco Inc. - High Performance Engine Service

Might check this out if it hasn't already been posted.
Peterpsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #614
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpsc View Post

NICE!!!!
Unread 08-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #615
FlynG
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpsc View Post

Interesting, that would imply the swap to Delo oil or the additives could be a cure. Could just be a good copy writer too... I'd like to have the facts.
FlynG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.