Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 40 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #586
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anymanusa View Post
This was the gap before i relocated the gear, if id used the stock hole provided. Yes i said 'hole'.
how did you go with the Crown gear anymanusa?. did you drill a new hole in it to align up with the OPDA shaft?
I received one in the mail yesterday, just keeping it as a spare for the moment

Unread 08-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #587
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anymanusa View Post
^^ I think you guys are making too big an issue of the 'uneven' wear. From my recollection of this thread, there weren't but one or two people who'd claimed uneven wear, and one was destoryerofworlds, and he recanted.

I gotta think gear profile is the culprit on this one.
This thread has now grown to 40 pages. After reading through all of it I still can not tell if I should be concerned...

I have an 06 LJ with an 02/06 build date. Is the general consensus that their is still no fix and all TJ are affected?

Should we be checking regularly for wear on the oil pump drive gear/camshaft synchronizer as part of routine maintenance?

ElJaynocibuR said he was receiving crank position sensor CEL codes and hearing noises. Is it to late at that point?
Zetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #588
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetto View Post
This thread has now grown to 40 pages. After reading through all of it I still can not tell if I should be concerned...

I have an 06 LJ with an 02/06 build date. Is the general consensus that their is still no fix and all TJ are affected?

Should we be checking regularly for wear on the oil pump drive gear/camshaft synchronizer as part of routine maintenance?

ElJaynocibuR said he was receiving crank position sensor CEL codes and hearing noises. Is it to late at that point?
I would recommend anyone with an 05-06 TJ w/ 4.0 pull their OPDA for inspection at every oil change.

If it's bad enough to be throwing codes and making noises, it will without a doubt need a new camshaft as well as the OPDA gear.

For those that have only "slight" wear, like mine, where the wear can be seen but the overall shape of the tooth is still mostly unaltered - just changing the OPDA gear should be sufficient. Only time will tell.
Unread 08-17-2010, 06:54 PM   #589
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonza View Post
how did you go with the Crown gear anymanusa?. did you drill a new hole in it to align up with the OPDA shaft?
I received one in the mail yesterday, just keeping it as a spare for the moment
it was the 4wd gear, and I made the tolerance what i wanted (shot for 0.015" ended up with 0.017") and drilled the first hole very carefully, then used the shaft with the gear hole lined up as a jig to drill through the second hole. I don't think you could ever get the holes lined up in your 'garage' without doing this, and I didn't feel like wasting a day at the machine shop after travel etc.
anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 07:19 AM   #590
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

There is a possibility that, though not a new revision, the gear and/or other components may just be within spec.
My guess is that most of the individual components are from different manufacturers. It only takes one to produce an out of spec part that renders the assembly faulty.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #591
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Just another option on getting a gear.

I was having a discussion with a neighbor that's a retired mechanic and spends his time building and selling hot rod engines.

He said there has been a HUGE problem with gears from China and other questionable sources causing allot of problems for aftermarket distributor manufactures. I showed him the gears and some pictures of camshaft damage that some of you have posted.

He took a quick look and went into his garage and pulled out several camshafts and aftermarket distributors for a Ford and two Chevys. The damage looked identical to what we are having.

His answer to the problem was ordering gears form NAPA made by their "Echlin Ignition" division. I went down and ordered one part number DG 402 at a whooping $50! But he swears by them and claims they are well worth the money.

As we have seen in the past with all kinds of stuff on our Jeeps that Chrysler will cut any corners and source cheap low quality parts to save a nickle. I think that is whats going on with the distributor gears. They got them from the cheapest supplier probably overseas and they are not cut to spec/out of tolerance.

FOG
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #592
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Is that DG402 a replacement for the 05-06 gear or the previous gear?

If it's for the 05-06 does that mean it would save us from redrilling a hole and it would be a simple matter of replacing the roll pin?

Oh btw, for those that have ordered the Crown or the 4WD gear, did it come with a new roll pin?
Unread 08-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #593
Savage1969
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The Crown part has no new roll pin, only the gear.
Unread 08-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #594
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

oh great, so who knows where to get a new roll pin? Or have y'all just been reusing the old one?
Unread 08-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #595
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DstroyrOfWrldz View Post
Is that DG402 a replacement for the 05-06 gear or the previous gear?

If it's for the 05-06 does that mean it would save us from redrilling a hole and it would be a simple matter of replacing the roll pin?

Oh btw, for those that have ordered the Crown or the 4WD gear, did it come with a new roll pin?
The NAPA DG 402 does come with new a roll pin, and no its not a "catalog" replacement for a 05-06. The DG402 is specified in the catalog as a replacement for the mid 90s all the way to 2004 4.0 engine.

As far as the holes being the same I have several OPDA assemblies. One of them is from a 05, one is my "REV-B" that came with my 06 LJ and the other one is a "REV-E" that I bought back in May. I've had the gears off all three and NONE of them will line up with the holes on the others.

So the issue of having to re-drill the hole is something I don't think can be avoided. Plus I think it would be advantageous to be able to reduce the excessive end play that the factory seems to leave when putting the gears on.

FOG
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #596
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

ok...well I'll have to see where the 4WD gear was made when it shows up. If it's made anywhere other than the USA I'll be heading straight for NAPA.
Unread 08-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #597
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
oh great, so who knows where to get a new roll pin? Or have y'all just been reusing the old one?
Roll pins can be purchased at any decently stocked hardware store or online... not a make or break deal...
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #598
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ok...well I'll have to see where the 4WD gear was made when it shows up. If it's made anywhere other than the USA I'll be heading straight for NAPA.
just received mine. there was nothing to indicate it was made in USA, so it could be from anywhere. noticed that the image for the NAPA DG402 has only one hole drilled as well. guess that is so when you align the hole in the gear to the shaft you can drill and ream to get a precise fit.

I am going to accurately measure up the spare gear for size and concentricity and then do a hardness check

some mechanical parts made in China can be dodgy. had some expensive components made there that failed on commissioning due to poor heat treatment. found supporting documents had been falsified. never again
Unread 08-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #599
Savage1969
2006 TJ Wrangler 

FYI, according to NAPA, these are the specs on the DG402:

# Distributor Drive Gear Teeth : 13 Teeth
Distributor Gear & Pin I.D. : 0.5324"- 0.5332"
Distributor Gear & Pin O.D. : 1.03"
Distributor Gear Height : 1.031"
Distributor Gear Pitch Direction : Right Hand

It appears to have about the same hole placement as the Crown gear, correct me if I'm wrong here.
Unread 08-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #600
speed_phreak
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Very interesting! I just received my Crown gear too, but I think you have sold me on the NAPA part. Since I have to take this damn thing to a machine shop, I would rather have it done right the first time. Especially since I dont have any spare parts! I don't mind spending a couple more dollars on a known good part... HEAR THAT CRYSLUR???

I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge and experience... Just think if we were all fighting this on our own, yikes... I'm just a computer geek with a knowledge of systems and a fascination with automobiles, not so much a mechanic.
speed_phreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.