Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #46
ElJaynocibuR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
I've never heard of a "limp mode" for the 4.0L engine...
Maybe jeep calls it something else, I'm used to dealing with GM stuff and that's what they call it. It basically gives you a rev limiter of 2500 rpm and it will not go over that no matter what you do. It does this to prevent engine damage when certain codes are set. Try driving on the highway and not going over 2500 rpm, it sucks!

I am in no way a Jeep expert so I may use the wrong terminology sometimes. I just know that this is a problem that is much larger than Jeep has led us to believe, and I wanted to give fellow Jeepers a heads up before they get stranded somewhere or lose an engine because of it.

Unread 03-15-2010, 07:42 AM   #47
doppydick
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Similar issue??

I had just had a new oil pump cam assembly installed on my 2006 TJ. The car was making a horrible "squealling" noise when started which I thought could have been a bad belt or bearing. After the engine warmed up , it would stop. Of course taking it to the dealer initially it wouldn't do it. They did finally get a "chirp" out of it and determined it would require this new assembly. It fixed the problem (so far, anyway). My questions: How do I know if this was covered under this recall, how do I get info on this recall, and where/how do I find out when my engine was manufactured (I can't find any labels or tags)?

Thanks for any info I can get.
doppydick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #48
Grand Wrangler

Awesome! You'd think they would have had the 4.0 down by now.

I have a '06 TJ with 10/18/05 engine, 11/05 build. I know what I'm doing this weekend. 13K miles, no symptoms yet. Then again there is a quiet squeal on shut down I've tried to get two dealers to check out.

Anyway, thanks for the info, and how-to pix.
Unread 03-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #49
DocMojave
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I found this at another Jeep forum site... pretty ugly stuff. LINK to thread.
Quote:
Had a nice surprise last week when my son returned home in the Jeep. Loss of power, lots of noise, check engine, misfiring, etc. Codes indicated two cylinders misfiring and camshaft synchronizer problem.

Turns out there was a recall (TSB E05) of 05s built from Dec 04 to Feb 05 of the OPDA (Oil Pump Drive Assembly), also known as the camshaft synchronizer. I was able to poke around and find the problem (see pictures). Turns out that it was already replaced back in 05 as a result of the recall but the same thing happened again.

Of course, Huffines says they have to put it together and diagnose what the problem is (I guess it's too obvious from looking at the parts!) and go from there.

I'm not sure how they are going to try and wiggle out of paying for this one (should be covered under 7 year/70K miles drivetrain warranty) but I'm prepared to do battle. Kicker is it's an 05 with 16K miles so that throws just about all of their arguments out of the window. I'm waiting to hear from them on Monday!
Damage to internal camshaft

Damage to OPDA/camshaft synchronizer

Last edited by DocMojave; 03-16-2010 at 06:59 PM..
DocMojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #50
Nick B
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppydick View Post
I had just had a new oil pump cam assembly installed on my 2006 TJ. The car was making a horrible "squealling" noise when started which I thought could have been a bad belt or bearing. After the engine warmed up , it would stop. Of course taking it to the dealer initially it wouldn't do it. They did finally get a "chirp" out of it and determined it would require this new assembly. It fixed the problem (so far, anyway). My questions: How do I know if this was covered under this recall, how do I get info on this recall, and where/how do I find out when my engine was manufactured (I can't find any labels or tags)?

Thanks for any info I can get.
What's your build date ?
Nick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #51
Sccafire
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I circled the Camshaft Position Sensor Date Code Label. On the second row of numbers the first 4 numbers are the date code. if your numbers are between 4297 and 4364 the TSB EO5R will pertain to you. If your numbers are lower than 4297 or higher than 4364 you will not need replacement. This is according to Alldata that I have for my 2005 TJ. You may not have to remove it to see the label. Try using a small mirror to read it.

"life is good at 2 MPH"
Sccafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #52
aRedRocker
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccafire View Post
I circled the Camshaft Position Sensor Date Code Label. On the second row of numbers the first 4 numbers are the date code. if your numbers are between 4297 and 4364 the TSB EO5R will pertain to you. If your numbers are lower than 4297 or higher than 4364 you will not need replacement. This is according to Alldata that I have for my 2005 TJ. You may not have to remove it to see the label. Try using a small mirror to read it.
What board was that? Huffines is a few blocks from me.
aRedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #53
Sccafire
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aRedRocker View Post
I read the information from Alldata.com

"life is good at 2 MPH"
Sccafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #54
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccafire View Post
does that mean only 67 vehicles are affected then?
Unread 03-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #55
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

hot dang, 4288 on mine!
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #56
jamesmp319
2004 LJ Wrangler 

i am a chrysler tech and have never seen this .... I dont think it was a recall but i could be wrong!
jamesmp319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #57
aRedRocker
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aRedRocker View Post
Found it, thanks
aRedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 07:00 PM   #58
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmp319 View Post
I dont think it was a recall but i could be wrong!
Yes, it was...
Unread 03-17-2010, 06:41 PM   #59
DocMojave
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Is there a clear and defined way to verify owners do not have this problem without pulling the camshaft synchronizer? 2006 LJ DATE OF MFR: 4-06.
Unread 03-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #60
jamesmp319
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah i was wong i asked the shop forman today and he said he thinks we had only done one... checked a ton but only had one that actually had the worn gear.
jamesmp319 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.