Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 39 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!

Unread 08-16-2010, 08:58 AM   #571
JoBuCon
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
Back in May I bough the last "REV-E" unit I could find and have managed to put 3,000 miles on it. I pulled it today and inspected it and the CPS gear is already showing abnormal wear. I took some pics and will post them (gotta get another card reader).
FOG
Well there goes my 'fix'. I was going to order one (maybe 2) units and simply monitor the wear with the possibility of changing it out every 25-30000 miles. Kinda like routine maintenance. Flush that idea down the toilet....

JoBuCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 09:16 AM   #572
Volusiaguy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DstroyrOfWrldz View Post
Is that replacement just like the one that's wearing out or has it been improved in some way?
I honestly don't know if it was improved or not. Normally, I would assume that it had been, but I'm not in Chrysler trusting mode at the moment. I know it fixed it for now.
Volusiaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #573
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

ok well if you don't mind after you've put a few thousand miles on it maybe pull it out and post your findings?

I think I'm just gonna go straight for the pre-04 gear, just ordered the Crown automotive one. Does it come with a new roll pin?
Unread 08-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #574
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DstroyrOfWrldz View Post
ok well if you don't mind after you've put a few thousand miles on it maybe pull it out and post your findings?

I think I'm just gonna go straight for the pre-04 gear, just ordered the Crown automotive one. Does it come with a new roll pin?
No, but it comes with the headache.of having to redrill the hole to take out the 0.090" of slop.
anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #575
Savage1969
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My Crown gears just came in this afternoon. It'll be a bit before I can install but intend on a photo session to compare the two gears (original Rev-E and Crown) with measurements soon (maybe tonight).
Unread 08-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #576
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

This was the gap before i relocated the gear, if id used the stock hole provided. Yes i said 'hole'.

Unread 08-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #577
Savage1969
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Gotcha. Here's some down and dirty measurements of the Crown gear as measured with my POS caliper:
Overall Length: 1.250"
Retainer Pin Hole: 0.185" diameter
Outer of Pin Hole to Non-Gear End: 0.195"
Outer of Pin Hole to Gear End: 0.870
Unread 08-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #578
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thought #1 - Does anybody have an 04 or earlier ODPA to put the Crown gear onto and check the gap like above?

Thought #2 - I agree the part number for ths cam has not changed and I "thought" that would mean there were no differences in the camshafts.

BUT

the Jeep/Chrysler part number for the 2005/2006 ODPA has not changed but the Rev B to Rev E from their vendor would seem to indicate some change, we just do not know what that is.

Thought #3 - If as FOG thinks, the ODPA is assembled, then the gear is installed and shaft drilled. Wouldn't installing the Crown gear onto the 2005/2006 version at the correct gap to the housing "should/may" be a long term fix? There was a prior post about the position of the gear teeth to the sensor "teeth". This would most likely lead to having to "re-time" the housing via DRB tool.

I have an assembly on order, but like many others do not have a ship date
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #579
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjeep1 View Post

Thought #3 - If as FOG thinks, the ODPA is assembled, then the gear is installed and shaft drilled. Wouldn't installing the Crown gear onto the 2005/2006 version at the correct gap to the housing "should/may" be a long term fix?
this is my hope and so far i have a pretty good feeling about it.

Quote:
There was a prior post about the position of the gear teeth to the sensor "teeth". This would most likely lead to having to "re-time" the housing via DRB tool.
if the engine is set to #1 tdc and the opda locked in place prior to removal, then reinstalled while locked again there should be no need for the cam/crank relearn procedure. this may result in the housing being rotated slightly but the cam to sensor relationship will be unchanged.
Unread 08-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #580
speed_phreak
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
I mean with all the pictures of abnormal wear people are having on the CPS gears, I think I'm the only one that has the 180degree small to big wear pattern.
FOG
You are not alone, I am here with you....uh nevermind... I believe I also share your small to big wear pattern. I noticed it, but didn't mention it. I remember looking at my gear and thinking I was fine, but then as I rotated it, I was like oh ****.....

Perhaps others can take a second look at their gear...
speed_phreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 09:12 PM   #581
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

ill check mine when i have it back out to install the new gear. at first i thought it was uneven, but then realized I was comparing the leading tooth faces against trailing faces and once I just looked at one face it looked pretty even. I didn't examine it that closely though, as i was in a hurry to get it back together and go to work.

can you guys with the uneven wear spin yours and see if there appears to be any offset to it?
Unread 08-17-2010, 12:34 AM   #582
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_phreak View Post
You are not alone, I am here with you....uh nevermind... I believe I also share your small to big wear pattern. I noticed it, but didn't mention it. I remember looking at my gear and thinking I was fine, but then as I rotated it, I was like oh ****.....

Perhaps others can take a second look at their gear...
I also have that uneven wear pattern...

FYI-I purchased an 01 unit off of Ebay, and the gear looks just like my 06. The gear holes are in the same locations.

I just received my replacement unit from the factory today, and I finished the install half an hour ago. I used the TDC method, and everything seems fine. I had a question on the sync. Even though my unit is in the "window," does it make a difference if it was at zero vs. 5 degrees or even 10 degrees off, or does the computer compensate for the difference? I debating on whether or not to take my jeep to the dealer to sync the cam/crank, or just leave it.

Oh, and one last thing to piss me off-the weirdest **** happened. My Odometer changed from 60,000 to 55,000, and my trip Odometer changed from 2500 to 0. I DID NOT disconnect the battery. Whats up with this?
tkki1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 04:47 AM   #583
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

For the unven wear pattern, could the ODPA be set carefully into a vise, and then using a dial indicator, rotate the shaft looking for run-out tooth by tooth? Maybe even top and bottom of gear?

Right now, all my tools are in storage, too far away to be of use.
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 05:14 AM   #584
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

^^ I think you guys are making too big an issue of the 'uneven' wear. From my recollection of this thread, there weren't but one or two people who'd claimed uneven wear, and one was destoryerofworlds, and he recanted.

I gotta think gear profile is the culprit on this one.
Unread 08-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #585
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjeep1 View Post
For the unven wear pattern, could the ODPA be set carefully into a vise, and then using a dial indicator, rotate the shaft looking for run-out tooth by tooth? Maybe even top and bottom of gear?

Right now, all my tools are in storage, too far away to be of use.
Definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anymanusa View Post
^^ I think you guys are making too big an issue of the 'uneven' wear. From my recollection of this thread, there weren't but one or two people who'd claimed uneven wear, and one was destoryerofworlds, and he recanted.

I gotta think gear profile is the culprit on this one.
I wouldn't go so far as to say they're making it too big an issue. Even though it only seems to have affected two that we're aware of, I think it's yet another manifestation of poor quality of this gear.

I've seen two in this thread that have the uneven wear. I never claimed to, it was just the initial thought when I pulled it out, and I found it not to be the case before I put it back in and posted here.

Oh, and you can refer to me as Joe, it's easier to type.

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.