Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 32 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 08-10-2010, 12:47 AM   #466
jeep06
2015 KL Cherokee 

So I am guessing I will probably be in the same boat as speed phreak? After seeing the latest posts, I went out in the garage and snapped a few pics. How depressing....and here I finally decided I just might keep this for a few more years...lol. My build date is 5/05,,, guess I better get the ball rolling before my 7/70 expires, really not looking forward to pulling it out to investigate, but better check now before it's too late, BTW, just rolled over to 44k on my way home from work tonight.

P.S. I was really shocked to NOT see "Made in China" on the sticker!!!!!

002.jpg  
Unread 08-10-2010, 07:50 AM   #467
JoBuCon
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusiaguy View Post
Chrysler called me back today and said they could have the part for me tomorrow! LOL She said that the backorders are starting to come in and are in stock in the Los Angeles warehouse, so there is hope out there for everyone.
Los Angeles? Am i to assume then they came on a slow boat from China? Tiawan? Sri Lanka?

As far as the number of back ordered parts (240 in a late post), when i was at the dealer he said there were 269 on back order. I bet the decrease in number of units on backorder is due not to orders being filled but due to orders being cancelled. One might think that these parts would come in (from where ever) by the thousands, not a few at a time.

Interesting enough: I was at the doc yesterday and while in the waiting room i picked up an off-road mag to look through. In it was an article about the 10 most common repairs needed for a TJ and how to fix them. Mistakenly, the problem that we all are facing seems to have been omitted. I'm sure just an over-sight on their part...

Has anyone sent letters to the various off-road mags trying to bring attention to this problem? Or are all the companies that publish these books too afraid of losing their free weekend rentals from Jeep to even print the truth, no matter how bad it makes Jeep look?

JoBuCon
JoBuCon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #468
Savage1969
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_phreak View Post
Opinions? I would tend to believe that this wear is a little premature for 27,000 miles. I apologize, the pics aren't the best, but I hope they are good enough for opinions. From the markings on the OPDA/CPS it appears that it has been checked a couple times, but it still doesn't seem right to me....

Date of Manufacture: 04/05

TIA
I can almost guarantee that if you shine a good light on that cam gear it looks much worse than the pic shows. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but it's worth a good look just in case. Replacing the OPDG with a worn cam gear is only a band-aid on a cardiac arrest. It might be in your best interest to contact DC and get a case number going. Cheers.
Savage1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #469
schultzie
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage1969 View Post
I can almost guarantee that if you shine a good light on that cam gear it looks much worse than the pic shows. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but it's worth a good look just in case. Replacing the OPDG with a worn cam gear is only a band-aid on a cardiac arrest. It might be in your best interest to contact DC and get a case number going. Cheers.
I've got to agree. In a poorly lighted shop, my OPDA gear and camshaft OPDA gear did not appear to be bad, but as you can see in the pictures I took (page 28), they are both in rough shape.

If you have OPDA/Cam Synchronizer problem, please sign in on this thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/op...-sign-1084723/
schultzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #470
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Could the cause be as simple as lack of break-in grease on the installation of all 05-06 motors? On the cam gear only of course.
anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #471
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusiaguy View Post
Ok...here's my experience and the information I was able to gather over the last few days....I had the chattering monkey syndrome, pulled the CPS, had some unusual wear that was just starting on the gear and some markings that needed to be smoothed and polish off of the shaft by a machine shop. The shaft and bearing were fine. Re-greased, re-installed, and we'll check up on it in a couple of months, but it is running great and seems to be better than new....all for a total cost of $72.

Here are my ideas and notes to add to what has been posted before. Thanks to all of you who have been posting to this for your ideas and help in getting this resolved...at least for now:

Check your gearing using the instructions in this thread. If you have a problem (even if it's making the chattering monkey sound), contact Chrysler to get a case number so you can add to their embarrassment and data base:

Contact Us by Telephone:
1-800-853-1403
M-F 8:00A.M. - 5:00P.M.
(U.S. Continental Time Zones

Since they probably won't/can't help you without a part, here are your options at this point:

Option #1: Part number: 53010624AC Distributor Oil Pump ($112-150 from a dealer or from:

Jeep OEM Parts

Jeep OEM Parts

Mopar Parts for Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep: MoparPartsAmerica
Mopar Parts for Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep: MoparPartsAmerica

This part is back-ordered in the US/Canada/everywhere else. The number of back-orders was 237 as of 8/5/10. The companies listed above will let you order them, but you will receive an Indefinite Backorder Email within a day or two saying that they have no determined date for delivery. You may want to get on this list to have a backup in case they ever DO fix it.

Option #2: Repair package part number: CDC0E51AB $32

Chrysler did send out a Replacement/Repair package in 05 to their dealers to deal with this issue. The part number above consists of a kit that contains the bottom gear, a new gasket, a brass mounting flange, a mounting pin to hold the gear to the shaft, and a one-time drill bit to drill out the mounting hole on the new gear. (My gear already had two holes opposite of each other to use and they thought the drilling option was idiotic at best..
Take this kit and your old part to a machine shop, have them polish the shaft and install the new gear and check/replace the upper sealed bearing, and you will be good as new.
My guy did mine for $40 total. The bearing was in great shape, so they cleaned up the shaft, greased up the bearings again, put it all together, and we're good to go.

Option #3: Order the gear itself from the following vendors.

4WD Hardware: BOTTOM GEAR - RETAIL:
Distributor Drive Gear by Crown Automotive and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH3

Crown Automotive (BOTTOM GEAR - WHOLESALE):
Distributor Gear (2.5L, 4.0L) | Crown Automotive Sales
Part #83504635

Option #4: Buy or find a 99-04 CPS unit from EBAY or a junkyard for like 20 bucks and pull the gear of it.

You will also need to order the gasket for any of the options above (minus the Chrysler repair kit as it already has one included). The part number from Chrysler is J3181288. (I'm pretty sure that the gaskets from a 2002-2003 distributor oil pump would work too since they seem to have the same base. It's a flat, fiber, round gasket that fits around the base of the assembly, so you could probably find a substitute by trial and error at your local auto parts dealer.)

I did talk to my machinist about installing a zerk fitting to lube the bearings, BUT my 2006 model had a sealed bearing assembly and the location of the zerk would have led to nothing but a dead end. It seems Chrysler may have made some adjustments to the manufacturing process after 05, but I'm not positive about this. My Jeep was build on 12/05 and I still had the chattering monkey syndrome and unusual wear on the gear and binding on the shaft.

That's all I have for now. Post or PM me if you have any questions, and I'll keep you posted as this moves along.

Dave

Do NOT do this unless you wanna spend a lot of time re-drilling this gear. The stock hole is 2mm off from an '05 hole location and that gives you a 0.090" gap (vertical play) in the shaft between the gear and the housing. This is huge, and will most certainly cause problems. The gap on my original gear was only 0.030" for reference. I will post a pic when it uploads.

Not to mention that my chrysler dealer does not have the $32 replacement/repair package. He doesn't recognize the number at all.

Last edited by anymanusa; 08-10-2010 at 02:05 PM..
Unread 08-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #472
Savage1969
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anymanusa View Post
Do NOT do this unless you wanna spend a lot of time re-drilling this bushing. The stock hole is 2mm off from an '05 hole location and that gives you a 0.090" gap (vertical play) in the shaft between the gear and the housing. This is huge, and will most certainly cause problems. The gap on my original gear was only 0.030" for reference. I will post a pic when it uploads.
Which option are you referring to not do? The Crown Automotive gear mod or the recall repair kit? The recall repair kit was put in place for 05's by DC so I can't see any issue there, and it does not include a bushing. I'm either confused, too hungover, or both.
Savage1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #473
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Would this gear issue cause a intermittent rough idle?

Sometimes after using 4wd for a bit, i get a rough idle while in gear, i put it in neutral then back and it usually goes away. Happens in reverse too. I guess I just need to replace the spark plugs and clean the throttle body since I've been wheeling 4-5 times.
Unread 08-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #474
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What don't you understand about Chrysler not doing anything for anyone? Unless you have the extended service warranty they are going to tell you to buzz off and that they can't help you. They did it to me and they are going to do it to everyone that is not under warranty.
Unread 08-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #475
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Which option are you referring to not do? The Crown Automotive gear mod or the recall repair kit? The recall repair kit was put in place for 05's by DC so I can't see any issue there, and it does not include a bushing. I'm either confused, too hungover, or both.
I made the text size 5 to avoid confusion. Sorry I said "bushing" I meant gear. The gear that he lists in option #3 is for a 99-04 jeep, not 05 06. I'm just saying that I ordered that gear, I have it now, and it won't work without modification.

Then I called Landers Chrysler and asked them for the part number of the 'repair' kit. They had no knowledge of it.

Neither option is viable.

What the hell is DC?
Unread 08-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #476
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

DC is Daimler Chrysler.
Unread 08-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #477
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
DC is Daimler Chrysler.
That's what I figured, but if the Chrysler dealer close to me doesn't know anything about that package, what good is it to me? I mean, what am I supposed to do? Do their job for them? Call the Chrysler ***** number? I've already done that, they act like they don't know **** about ****.

Last edited by anymanusa; 08-10-2010 at 02:41 PM..
Unread 08-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #478
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hey man, take your curse words and just type them out so the auto censor takes em out. Avoiding the filter with the exclamation marks can catch a banstick.

And yes, I called that number, the lady was a ***** and said they couldn't do anything. I'm just gonna do class action law suit when/if my engine blows up. It seems theres no way to legitimately fix the issue with out doing a bunch of work yourself and drilling into something you could possibly ruin.
Unread 08-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #479
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anymanusa View Post

Do NOT do this unless you wanna spend a lot of time re-drilling this gear. The stock hole is 2mm off from an '05 hole location and that gives you a 0.090" gap (vertical play) in the shaft between the gear and the housing. This is huge, and will most certainly cause problems. The gap on my original gear was only 0.030" for reference. I will post a pic when it uploads.

Not to mention that my chrysler dealer does not have the $32 replacement/repair package. He doesn't recognize the number at all.
Well, I wouldn't spend any time redrilling the gear. I'd pay my local machinist to do it. Volusia guy said he paid $40 to get this done, I figure that's well worth it if it works.

So I got mine out and took some pics:

That was the best picture I could get from the camshaft gear, but looking at it with a pretty bright flashlight I couldn't see much damage.

So at 54,000 miles it appears mine isn't nearly as bad as some of the ones I've seen with much fewer miles, but the wear is definitely abnormal. Guess I'll go post in the registry thread now.

I'm still within 7 years/70k miles but I'm the second owner. I'm mailing the transfer form to the guy I bought it from to have him sign it. Good thing I found that, it says it can only be done at the time the vehicle is sold...just bought it two weeks ago, haven't even tagged it yet.

Last edited by DstroyrOfWrldz; 08-10-2010 at 04:53 PM..
DstroyrOfWrldz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #480
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

^^i didn't catch where he said it needed to be machined... He just told me in a pm that he thought it would work.

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.