Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 31 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #451
Savage1969
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBuCon View Post
I pulled the cover off mine this weekend. The gear moved about the thickness of a quarter. Probably doesn't say anything about what's really going on down there.
You're right, you can't tell by this method (I assumed the same thing). Pull it. If you're not comfortable then have your dealer pull it and ask to see the gear for yourself. Then have them optic camera the cam gear. If the OPDG is showing wear then it's likely the cam gear shows the same or damn near the same wear. At first I didn't think my cam gear was effected (as a lot of others on here) until I shined good light at various angles and finally saw the truth of the matter.

Savage1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #452
Savage1969
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My apologies for the double post but, after starting to deal with this today, here's some info for others trying to get the service done through DC.

My service manager had me call a different number, he said it was the one they used all the time: 800-992-1997

Have your ducks in a row. Contact your dealer service department and verify they are willing to analyze and perform the repairs as necessary. Have the TSB number (10013784 - which my dealer said there is a 2005 recall btw) and knowledge of what you found after removing your OPD/Cam Sensor, including the fact that you know this is abnormal wear and the defect is occurring outside the parameters of those suggested in the recall, including 2006 models. Offer to email them pics as proof that an analysis should be performed (they declined the pics were necessary but what the hell).

You will likely be given a reference number, but it's not the PA reference number your dealer needs. Only a case manager can give that reference. IMPORTANT: you do not want to get a call back from a case adviser, you want a case manager so ask for it. Give the rep your cell number so you have no chance of missing the call.

I know this is not a long term solution and parts are getting harder to come by, if not impossible (the cam kit is in plentiful stock btw). It will allow for the repairs to be performed under DC's coin. My thought is that once it's done just keep a close eye on the repaired/replaced OPDG until a true solution is found. The last thing you want is the cam gear to be damaged again if it is replaced.
Savage1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #453
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know if the Jeep engineers are going to visit this forum again? This would be a good issue to bring up with them.
Unread 08-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #454
EUGENE1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My 06 has been sitting in the dealer for a month now waiting on the distributor drive which is on back order. They have no expected date and there are currently 240 some on back order.
I have 41000 miles on mine. I really am not a happy camper with Chrysler right now!
EUGENE1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #455
Volusiaguy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Chrysler called me back today and said they could have the part for me tomorrow! LOL She said that the backorders are starting to come in and are in stock in the Los Angeles warehouse, so there is hope out there for everyone.

I really did enjoy telling her that I would relay the message to the forum, but that I had already traded mine in on another vehicle. She paused, asked if it was a Jeep, and I said, "Nope...don't trust them or Chrysler any more and I LOVE my Nissan and can't wait to start accessorizing it."

Hope that they've got this figured out for all of you guys. I told her it might do them some good to actually spend some time on the forums and let people know this before they lose even more customers.
Volusiaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #456
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Volusiaguy;9931483]I really did enjoy telling her that I would relay the message to the forum, but that I had already traded mine in on another vehicle. She paused, asked if it was a Jeep, and I said, "Nope...don't trust them or Chrysler any more and I LOVE my Nissan and can't wait to start accessorizing it." [QUOTE]

I hate to break it to you, but Nissan has had their share of quality issues with the Titan, and that was the first model year for them. I would also suggest that your TJ has better resale value (or certainly will over time) than a Titan that was 2 model years older than what you were driving - they should have given you the truck and some money.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #457
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccafire View Post
I circled the Camshaft Position Sensor Date Code Label. On the second row of numbers the first 4 numbers are the date code. if your numbers are between 4297 and 4364 the TSB EO5R will pertain to you. If your numbers are lower than 4297 or higher than 4364 you will not need replacement. This is according to Alldata that I have for my 2005 TJ. You may not have to remove it to see the label. Try using a small mirror to read it.

your picture isn't showing up anymore, hoping you can confirm something for me.

My sticker contains the following info:
LDI, Inc.
P/N: 53010624AC
105075 Rev B

So the first four digits are 1050...which is quite before the 4000-range numbers you suggested. Am I looking at the right number?

My LJ was built April 05 and the engine was built in March. 503MX.54,000 miles and no drivability issues.
Unread 08-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #458
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusiaguy View Post
Chrysler called me back today and said they could have the part for me tomorrow! LOL She said that the backorders are starting to come in and are in stock in the Los Angeles warehouse, so there is hope out there for everyone.

I really did enjoy telling her that I would relay the message to the forum, but that I had already traded mine in on another vehicle. She paused, asked if it was a Jeep, and I said, "Nope...don't trust them or Chrysler any more and I LOVE my Nissan and can't wait to start accessorizing it."

Hope that they've got this figured out for all of you guys. I told her it might do them some good to actually spend some time on the forums and let people know this before they lose even more customers.
Wow, So you are able to get the part but then trade in your Jeep? Good job bud. Good to hear that they are starting to get the part in, I'll believe it when I see it though.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #459
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DstroyrOfWrldz View Post

LDI, Inc.
105075 Rev B

So the first four digits are 1050...which is quite before the 4000-range numbers you suggested. Am I looking at the right number?

My LJ was built April 05 and the engine was built in March. 503MX.54,000 miles and no drivability issues.
that sticker info is the same as mine. pulled my OPDA a few months back and the pinion was in good condition. no sign of wear. and I have similar mileage to yours.

I intend to pull the thing again when the next service is due and re-inspect and modify the the body so I can lube the upper bush. have ordered a spare pinion for "just in case"
Unread 08-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #460
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DstroyrOfWrldz View Post

LDI, Inc.
105075 Rev B

Believe that's the 75th day of 2005, Mar 16th.
Unread 08-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #461
Volusiaguy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If anyone is interested:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...1/#post9931959

As for the trade-in, I've done the research on it and I've seen some of the issues. The Titan is fully loaded, can tow whatever I need to tow, has lockable rear tonneau, dvd, leather, gps, etc. etc. This issue was just one of many things that I needed to consider with the Jeep and the family, and it was just the push I needed to let the Jeep go and go in another direction that works best for me. A fully loaded 4x4 truck works best at this point with 4 kids and storage/hauling/camping/traveling issues that we have, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it after I fixed the Jeep. By the time Chrysler actually called me back to tell me they had finally figured out an answer, the deal was already done....and after driving the truck for the weekend, I realized it was a good move at this time for all of us.

I'll continue to work on my son's XJ and do the light wheeling/camping/forest service road stuff I like to do, but now I'll be able to get my whole family and maybe even my wife to go too!
Volusiaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #462
speed_phreak
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Opinions? I would tend to believe that this wear is a little premature for 27,000 miles. I apologize, the pics aren't the best, but I hope they are good enough for opinions. From the markings on the OPDA/CPS it appears that it has been checked a couple times, but it still doesn't seem right to me....

Date of Manufacture: 04/05

TIA

speed_phreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #463
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yes speed freak, you definitely have the problem.
anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #464
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp View Post
Believe that's the 75th day of 2005, Mar 16th.
so it sounds like in the post I quoted it should have said the last 4 numbers instead of the first four.

So between 4297 and 4364 would be from the 297th to the 394th day of 2004.

But then speed phreaks definitely looks like accelerated wear and it appears his was built 6 days before mine.

Guess I'll be pulling mine out tomorrow for inspection.
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #465
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That number range is inaccurate. THis increased wear should be for all 4.0s from late 04 to the end of production for the 4.0L engines. I have it and my build date was April 7th 2006

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.