Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 28 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #406
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just called up Chrysler, she told me there were recalls on my vehicle but the oil drive pump had been replaced back in March of 2005, I told her it cant be true as its is acting up again. She said that Chrysler would be able to replace it free of charge. I have no idea where to go from here as she cant check to see if the camshaft is on backorder or not, she says I can get it diagnosed at a dealership but I dont see any point in doing that if I wont ever get the parts in, any comments?

Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #407
jdghsb
2006 TJ Wrangler 

29,000 miles on my 06' and no issues that I know of, unless it causes the motor to have no power. LOL
jdghsb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #408
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdghsb View Post
29,000 miles on my 06' and no issues that I know of, unless it causes the motor to have no power. LOL
the only real way to tell is by removing the entire OPDA and inspecting the pinion gear for wear and seeing if the target wheel spins freely without any signs of binding

leaving it until the the motor starts playing up probably means a ruined OPDA and also a ruined cam shaft

at the very least remove the CPS plastic cover that is held in place by two T25 torx screws. the target wheel should have about 1/16" inch movement in rotation, which is the backlash between the cam shaft gear and the OPDA pinion in mesh. any more than that indicates the pinion is wearing. you may be able to feel binding if present in the top bush

1/16" rotate movement on the target wheel = 0.004"/0.006" gear mesh clearance between the two gears, being what I would expect to be the correct specification and verified by the machinery handbook for these size gears
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #409
BlackSheep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Possibly good news. I went to several dealerships this week looking for our part. A parts manager from one the dealerships I went to called me back. He said he could get me the part in 10 days (for $170.00). So I gave him my credit card to order it. I did ask him, if he knew if it was the same as the old part or a re-engineered part. He said he wasn't sure, but normally when they re-engineer a part they allow the old stock die out before releasing the new part.
BlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #410
Volusiaguy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Update:
Went out this morning to move the Jeep and work on my stepson's truck, and guess what....????....the howling monkeys had moved in over night again.
I pulled the CPS again (I'm getting really good at it), took it back to the shop, and added the zerk. We drilled through the housing with a 1/16th drill bit and added a zerk with a 45 degree angle. Greased it up with some red moly heavy duty grease, worked it in, and re-installed. Works great...for now. I'm so done with this whole situation. While I was waiting for the zerk to be drilled in and placed, I hit a local car dealer and they had a 2004 Nissan Titan crew cab 4x4 fully loaded and I can probably pull of a straight trade or close to it. I'm going to give myself overnight to cool off, but I can't see myself taking the family into some of my favorite spots in the Sierras knowing that this part may be a ticking time-bomb. With 4 kids and a busy life, I don't have the time or the patience to deal with an issue that should be no issue on a 4 year old vehicle with 22k miles!
I still think the fixes below are the best option GIVEN THE SITUATION, but the situation sucks. This is my fourth Jeep over the years, and I had more confidence in my son's 95 XJ with 170k today than I do with my TJ at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusiaguy View Post
Ok...here's my experience and the information I was able to gather over the last few days....I had the chattering monkey syndrome, pulled the CPS, had some unusual wear that was just starting on the gear and some markings that needed to be smoothed and polish off of the shaft by a machine shop. The shaft and bearing were fine. Re-greased, re-installed, and we'll check up on it in a couple of months, but it is running great and seems to be better than new....all for a total cost of $72.

Here are my ideas and notes to add to what has been posted before. Thanks to all of you who have been posting to this for your ideas and help in getting this resolved...at least for now:

Check your gearing using the instructions in this thread. If you have a problem (even if it's making the chattering monkey sound), contact Chrysler to get a case number so you can add to their embarrassment and data base:

Contact Us by Telephone:
1-800-853-1403
M-F 8:00A.M. - 5:00P.M.
(U.S. Continental Time Zones

Since they probably won't/can't help you without a part, here are your options at this point:

Option #1: Part number: 53010624AC Distributor Oil Pump ($112-150 from a dealer or from:

Jeep OEM Parts

Jeep OEM Parts

Mopar Parts for Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep: MoparPartsAmerica
Mopar Parts for Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep: MoparPartsAmerica

This part is back-ordered in the US/Canada/everywhere else. The number of back-orders was 237 as of 8/5/10. The companies listed above will let you order them, but you will receive an Indefinite Backorder Email within a day or two saying that they have no determined date for delivery. You may want to get on this list to have a backup in case they ever DO fix it.

Option #2: Repair package part number: CDC0E51AB $32

Chrysler did send out a Replacement/Repair package in 05 to their dealers to deal with this issue. The part number above consists of a kit that contains the bottom gear, a new gasket, a brass mounting flange, a mounting pin to hold the gear to the shaft, and a one-time drill bit to drill out the mounting hole on the new gear. (My gear already had two holes opposite of each other to use and they thought the drilling option was idiotic at best..
Take this kit and your old part to a machine shop, have them polish the shaft and install the new gear and check/replace the upper sealed bearing, and you will be good as new.
My guy did mine for $40 total. The bearing was in great shape, so they cleaned up the shaft, greased up the bearings again, put it all together, and we're good to go.

Option #3: Order the gear itself from the following vendors.

4WD Hardware: BOTTOM GEAR - RETAIL:
Distributor Drive Gear by Crown Automotive and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH3

Crown Automotive (BOTTOM GEAR - WHOLESALE):
Distributor Gear (2.5L, 4.0L) | Crown Automotive Sales
Part #83504635

Option #4: Buy or find a 99-04 CPS unit from EBAY or a junkyard for like 20 bucks and pull the gear of it.

You will also need to order the gasket for any of the options above (minus the Chrysler repair kit as it already has one included). The part number from Chrysler is J3181288. (I'm pretty sure that the gaskets from a 2002-2003 distributor oil pump would work too since they seem to have the same base. It's a flat, fiber, round gasket that fits around the base of the assembly, so you could probably find a substitute by trial and error at your local auto parts dealer.)

I did talk to my machinist about installing a zerk fitting to lube the bearings, BUT my 2006 model had a sealed bearing assembly and the location of the zerk would have led to nothing but a dead end. It seems Chrysler may have made some adjustments to the manufacturing process after 05, but I'm not positive about this. My Jeep was build on 12/05 and I still had the chattering monkey syndrome and unusual wear on the gear and binding on the shaft.

That's all I have for now. Post or PM me if you have any questions, and I'll keep you posted as this moves along.

Dave
Volusiaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #411
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anymanusa View Post
Not sure why you think that. GM issued a recall on several duramax engines for fuel systems problems, but wouldn't do the same on column locks on Corvettes that were locking up on people while driving down the road or going around turns.
If you read the actual document Chrysler issued, it's not a recall or a TSB. It says "Customer Satisfaction Notification"....in other words, they didn't have to do it to appease the government, they did it to rectify a situation they realized wasn't right that would place an undue burden on their cutomers. Sounds to me like their "heart" was in the right place, but the issue here is getting them to recognize that the population of vehicles affected is much larger than they originally thought. Considering that they are now starting to sell 2011 models, it's hard to get a company to address an issue that is from 5 model years ago - I'm sure their focus is on the "here and now".

I can't speak to the GM examples you referenced, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Duramax issue was a "Customer Satisfaction Notification" program as well...Ford issues these as well when warranted.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #412
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I never read customer satisfaction notification, I found a TSB for the reverse popping, but I was also told a "Recall" by the Chrysler Hotline Listed.
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #413
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
We drilled through the housing with a 1/16th drill bit and added a zerk with a 45 degree angle. Greased it up with some red moly heavy duty grease, worked it in, and re-installed. Works great...for now.
Where did you drill the hole for the Zerk fitting, did you drill out the little round metal fit plug or pick some other location?

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #414
Volusiaguy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
Where did you drill the hole for the Zerk fitting, did you drill out the little round metal fit plug or pick some other location?

FOG
I did. I drilled out the metal plug, tapped it, and installed an 8mm zerk. I had to use one that had a 45 degree nipple that screwed on separately from the main piece in order to tighten down the zerk and clear the bottom of the CPS housing. Bolted the larger, main piece on first, and then added the 45 degree nipple. Started right up and runs great....for the moment. I hate holding my breath every time I go out to start the damn thing up, however...LOL
Volusiaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #415
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I did. I drilled out the metal plug, tapped it, and installed an 8mm zerk. I had to use one that had a 45 degree nipple that screwed on separately from the main piece in order to tighten down the zerk and clear the bottom of the CPS housing. Bolted the larger, main piece on first, and then added the 45 degree nipple.
Don't mean to be a pain, but could you show a pic of your zerk setup?
tkki1230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #416
JoBuCon
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Back in 06, i bought a used X (don't tell me, i already know). Yellow, 5 sp. Fixed it up a little, spring lift, 21s, AE wheels, Hanson front bumper (STILL the best looking bumper out there i think). 4 KC lights. Had plans for a nice Warn, sliders, Hanson back bumper and tire carrier. You know the feeling.

Anyway, my first daughter came along. I was 42 at the time, you can do the math now. The jeep didn't fit into the DD, so i traded and bought a new Scion Xb. Again, don't laugh..it served its purpose wonderfully through my daughter and two years later, my first son. Always looked everytime a Jeep went by. All the tire still getting the Quad and 4WD catalogs. Always building that 'next jeep' ya know.

This winter my wife and i decided to get another jeep. Duing the 4 years i was jeep-less, i had narrowed down the models to exactly what i wanted: LJ, Rubicon, auto. Hard to would be great, soft is fine. Not much modification cause i wanted to do it myself. So you know the year models i was gunning for: 04,05 and 06.

In December i found what i wanted: 05 LJ Ruby, auto, hard top, 2" coil lift and brand new MTR's. The jeep had only 23K miles!!!. Red of course. Bought it the day i saw it. Was so excited, like a kid again.

Big plans followed: Hanson front and rear, maybe change to an OME lift, more lights (has a set of IPFs now), winch. All that stuff you still and think about. Sliders. Bigger tires, nicer rims. You understand.

Then i re-connected to this forum. I was a member way back when and when th yellow X sold, i quit lurking here and started looking at parental forum and kiddy things. Times change, so do your priorities. So now i sit here, half empty 12 pack. Or was it a 18 pack? Oh well, doesn't matter. I sit here and look out the window at my red ruby: right now, no problems. No pissed off monkeys, no error codes. Not even the first symptom. Although it has developed a 'almost die sometimes' idle (TB cleaner awaits in the garage). Now all my thoughts of Hanson and Warn have been ambushed by thoughts of trading it off or saying a prayer everytime i crank it up. And WTF does Shystler do? Quit making the ONE part that I (and all of you) need to restore our confidence in the Jeep brand.

I wonder if the guy who bought my Xb would want to trade? Think i'll cal him...

JoBuCon
JoBuCon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #417
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkki1230 View Post
don't mean to be a pain, but could you show a pic of your zerk setup?
+1
anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #418
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody out there in the auto parts business, or know someone that is? Any company that is currently rebuilding 4.0 distributors could easily rebuild these.
Unread 08-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #419
schultzie
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I too would like to see a picture of the zerk setup.

I think it's safe to assume that I too am a victim -- OPDA gear abnormally worn at 61k:

OPDA cam gear also abnormally worn:

cam shot:

and a catastrophic lifter failure:
schultzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #420
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBuCon View Post
And WTF does Shystler do? Quit making the ONE part that I (and all of you) need to restore our confidence in the Jeep brand.
I know it seems like Chrysler doesn't care, but many of these vehicles are in warranty so they will need to come up with a replacement part. If the supplier that made it (or one of their sub-suppliers) went out of business, it takes time to test a new part, even if it is being made to an existing design (i.e. not being completely redesigned) by a new supplier. It seems to me like the basic design is relatively sound, but the hardening was an issue with the gear and possibly the shaft. A few folks here have torn apart the '04 and older design and found the shaft bushings to be basically the same but with no wear problems, so that tells me the bushing design isn't the issue.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.