Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 27 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinAlloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #391
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkki1230 View Post
Damn-that hurt me just reading it.
What really got me was he waited SEVEN YEARS before seeking medical attention. He should have just saved himself the pain and done like most men with his problem and bought a corvette.

FOG

In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 11:45 PM   #392
Volusiaguy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Has anyone measured the 99-04 shafts to see if they could be machined to work with the newer 04-06 wheel? The machinist and I were discussing long-term options on this, but I don't currently have a 99-04 shaft to compare. If I can get my hands on one, they'd be willing to look at it and see if something was possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
I agree there is something different with the 99-04 CPS assemblies. One thing I've noticed and I believe was pointed out by someone else is that in the 04-06 CPS shafts show oil pump wear, even the low mileage CPS assemblies like on my 06LJ.

The shafts of the 99-04 CPS don't have wear marks on the leading edges of the oil pump slot. This leads me to believe that the shafts on the 99-04 are much harder than the 04-06 cps shaft.

And that's why the nearly same design of the 99-04 CPS last so much longer than the 04-06.

Was anything gained by the new ECM and programming? I know with the new style CPS they get more resolution as to where the camshaft is at any given moment. Does this help emissions or anything else?

On a side note if my logic is off, I'm restating what anyone else has said or just being coarse (as my wife is telling me) I apologize. My rheumatoid arthritis has decided to attack my ribs and sternum which made it rather hard to breath. So they pumped me full of steroids and immunosuppressants to stop the RA and take down the swelling. Only problem is they are giving me a bad case of brain fog (no pun intended).

FOG
Volusiaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 11:47 PM   #393
Volusiaguy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Fog...glad you're not hurting as badly as the grease gun guy, but it sucks that the arthritis is acting up. Hang in there.
Come to California....they give everyone a medical marijuana card here...
Unread 08-06-2010, 03:09 AM   #394
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hahah this is total BS, when I got to Hawaii I took it to a dealership and they wanted to charge me outrageous parts because they thought it was the clutch. Then I had a broken U-Joint and still waiting to fix it after 6 months, if I had just gotten off my butt I wouldve had this to the dealership months ago. Now its screwing me over.
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #395
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusiaguy View Post
Has anyone measured the 99-04 shafts to see if they could be machined to work with the newer 04-06 wheel? The machinist and I were discussing long-term options on this, but I don't currently have a 99-04 shaft to compare. If I can get my hands on one, they'd be willing to look at it and see if something was possible.
My thought is to case harden the original shaft if it's still viable.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:54 AM   #396
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have a 'dead' cps they would be willing to send to me? I'll also check with my dealer to see if they have any around for dissection.

Since the housing isn't very complex I may, for fun, attempt to machine one from billet that accepts needle bearings and an upper seal.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:03 AM   #397
JoBuCon
2005 LJ Wrangler 

For giggles i Googled the part number " 53010624AC: DISTRIBTR OIL PUMP" Auto Parts Software - TradeMotion Dealer Websites sent me an email that reads: "Hello, This part is on Chrysler back order at this time. I am unable to provide this part at this time. JEnnifer"

Referring back to Volusiaguy's post several pages back, appears that the gear can be ordered and replaced. I can see replacing the gear if yours is in bad shape, but if some of the other posts are correct, the bushing is perhaps the guilty part. So unless its fixed, the new gear might just buy you a little extra time??

As a side note, i want to thank the folks on here who elect to share their knowledge and tips about this and all the other problems that come up. Some of the posts are long and very detailed and time consuming to write. But hats off to those of you who take the time to do it. I guess that's just what jeep folks do.

JoBuCon
JoBuCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:25 AM   #398
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

is there any law that states how long a car manufacturer must supply parts for their cars? I wonder if we have any grounds based on non supply?
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #399
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
is there any law that states how long a car manufacturer must supply parts for their cars? I wonder if we have any grounds based on non supply?
I had thought that they were required to supply parts for 10 years after the vehicle was manufactured.

Quote:
Check your gearing using the instructions in this thread. If you have a problem (even if it's making the chattering monkey sound), contact Chrysler to get a case number so you can add to their embarrassment and data base:

Contact Us by Telephone:
1-800-853-1403
M-F 8:00A.M. - 5:00P.M.
(U.S. Continental Time Zones
When you contacted them what did you say? That you pulled the shaft and saw the wear? I'm surprised they would open a case on just your word on the phone.
Unread 08-06-2010, 08:43 AM   #400
Peterpsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've followed this thread for some time. While I don't have the oil pump gear problem (yet), I want to thank all that have contributed to this very worthwhile thread. Hopefully, a good solution will be developed.

Fog, your zerk idea seems like a very good short-term solution. I'm going to try it.
Peterpsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #401
Volusiaguy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
I had thought that they were required to supply parts for 10 years after the vehicle was manufactured.

When you contacted them what did you say? That you pulled the shaft and saw the wear? I'm surprised they would open a case on just your word on the phone.
I was a bit surprised also, but I referred to these posts and others on other sites and used detailed information about the backorder etc. Guess I sounded like I knew what I was talking about...LOL Since they probably won't be doing anything anyway, it was no big deal for them to open a case. Haven't heard back from them yet, but I'm going to call today and tell them what I figured out. I may see if I can get them to spring for a computer timing appt. just for sh**s and giggles...
Unread 08-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #402
Volusiaguy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible2 View Post
Hahah this is total BS, when I got to Hawaii I took it to a dealership and they wanted to charge me outrageous parts because they thought it was the clutch. Then I had a broken U-Joint and still waiting to fix it after 6 months, if I had just gotten off my butt I wouldve had this to the dealership months ago. Now its screwing me over.
Terrible...you can do both of these jobs yourself using the detailed instructions and help here.

Here's a quick ujoint tutorial....they use a 3/4 inch socket and a hammer to knock the ujoint cap out.

YouTube - ‪How to change a U Joint on a Jeep Wrangler‬‎
Unread 08-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #403
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
Recalls are generally only issued for safety (i.e. a ball joint fails and the tire flies off the vehicle at speed) or emissions issues (i.e. the engine runs too rich due to a faulty O2 sensor). They do not issue recalls for concerns that don't fall into one of those two camps.
Not sure why you think that. GM issued a recall on several duramax engines for fuel systems problems, but wouldn't do the same on column locks on Corvettes that were locking up on people while driving down the road or going around turns.

It's really ashame that there isn't a little better watchdog to protect consumers from all these problems that these high dollar vehicles are subjecting us consumers to.
anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #404
Gr8_Outdoorsman

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Ok,,, I'm a little dizzy after finally reading all 27 pages of this thread!!! Thanks for all of the hard work and effort that you guys put into this. Although, I think that I'm permanently traumatized by the link to the guy that used a grease gun for penis enlargement and waited 7 years to go to the doctor!!!

It's a little disheartening to say the least. It doesn't sound like there is a long-term fix as of yet and there is a significant back order on the CPS.

Looks like I need to get out in the garage and do the inspection...... I'm a little torn on which route I should take. I wonder if the new CPS (if they find some) will be made to higher standards than the faulty ones that have been out there?

I'll post my findings as well.... I'm in a '06 LJ Rubi with a Feb '06 build date and 16,700 miles.........
Gr8_Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #405
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, ive changed a U Joint before but for some reason, I cant ever get them back in, I think the yoke ears bent throughout the years or somethign because whenever ive pressed them back in, its shaved off some of the metal and caused me headaches. I also made the mistake of driving without a U Joint which busted my wheel bearing. I really hope they start making those camshafts again
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.