Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 25 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #361
Volusiaguy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonza View Post
J3181288 is the Mopar part number for the seal where the CPS drive assembly fits into the motor. the part number is out of the official Mopar parts listing for 2005 Wranglers and is listed in "group 8 sensors 610 sensors engine" and is item 4. would imagine the same for all years

as far as needle bearings go, I havent pulled my CPS assembly apart yet to measure it up and work out what SKF part numbers will fit

Volusiaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #362
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusiaguy View Post
Ok...here's my experience and the information I was able to gather over the last few days....I had the chattering monkey syndrome, pulled the CPS, had some unusual wear that was just starting on the gear and some markings that needed to be smoothed and polish off of the shaft by a machine shop. The shaft and bearing were fine. Re-greased, re-installed, and we'll check up on it in a couple of months, but it is running great and seems to be better than new....all for a total cost of $72.

Here are my ideas and notes to add to what has been posted before. Thanks to all of you who have been posting to this for your ideas and help in getting this resolved...at least for now:

Check your gearing using the instructions in this thread. If you have a problem (even if it's making the chattering monkey sound), contact Chrysler to get a case number so you can add to their embarrassment and data base:

Contact Us by Telephone:
1-800-853-1403
M-F 8:00A.M. - 5:00P.M.
(U.S. Continental Time Zones

Since they probably won't/can't help you without a part, here are your options at this point:

Option #1: Part number: 53010624AC Distributor Oil Pump ($112-150 from a dealer or from:

Jeep OEM Parts

Jeep OEM Parts

Mopar Parts for Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep: MoparPartsAmerica
Mopar Parts for Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep: MoparPartsAmerica

This part is back-ordered in the US/Canada/everywhere else. The number of back-orders was 237 as of 8/5/10. The companies listed above will let you order them, but you will receive an Indefinite Backorder Email within a day or two saying that they have no determined date for delivery. You may want to get on this list to have a backup in case they ever DO fix it.

Option #2: Repair package part number: 1-CDC0E51AB $32

Chrysler did send out a Replacement/Repair package in 05 to their dealers to deal with this issue. The part number above consists of a kit that contains the bottom gear, a new gasket, a brass mounting flange, a mounting pin to hold the gear to the shaft, and a one-time drill bit to drill out the mounting hole on the new gear. (My gear already had two holes opposite of each other to use and they thought the drilling option was idiotic at best..
Take this kit and your old part to a machine shop, have them polish the shaft and install the new gear and check/replace the upper sealed bearing, and you will be good as new.
My guy did mine for $40 total. The bearing was in great shape, so they cleaned up the shaft, greased up the bearings again, put it all together, and we're good to go.

Option #3: Order the gear itself from the following vendors.

4WD Hardware: BOTTOM GEAR - RETAIL:
Distributor Drive Gear by Crown Automotive and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH3

Crown Automotive (BOTTOM GEAR - WHOLESALE):
Distributor Gear (2.5L, 4.0L) | Crown Automotive Sales
Part #83504635

Option #4: Buy or find a 99-04 CPS unit from EBAY or a junkyard for like 20 bucks and pull the gear of it.

You will also need to order the gasket for any of the options above (minus the Chrysler repair kit as it already has one included). The part number from Chrysler is J3181288. (I'm pretty sure that the gaskets from a 2002-2003 distributor oil pump would work too since they seem to have the same base. It's a flat, fiber, round gasket that fits around the base of the assembly, so you could probably find a substitute by trial and error at your local auto parts dealer.)

I did talk to my machinist about installing a zerk fitting to lube the bearings, BUT my 2006 model had a sealed bearing assembly and the location of the zerk would have led to nothing but a dead end. It seems Chrysler may have made some adjustments to the manufacturing process after 05, but I'm not positive about this. My Jeep was build on 12/05 and I still had the chattering monkey syndrome and unusual wear on the gear and binding on the shaft.

That's all I have for now. Post or PM me if you have any questions, and I'll keep you posted as this moves along.

Dave
AWESOME post dave...awesome. Going with option 2 or 3
Unread 08-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #363
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I did talk to my machinist about installing a zerk fitting to lube the bearings, BUT my 2006 model had a sealed bearing assembly and the location of the zerk would have led to nothing but a dead end. It seems Chrysler may have made some adjustments to the manufacturing process after 05, but I'm not positive about this. My Jeep was build on 12/05 and I still had the chattering monkey syndrome and unusual wear on the gear and binding on the shaft.
Don't take this the wrong way but your machinist didn't look hard enough.

My CPS of my 06,a CPS from a late 04 and the new CPS I got from Chrysler all have the passages behind the plug.

The problem is if you just pull the plug and scrap out the yellowish grease inside it will look like a dead end. What I did was put some heavy degreaser in the hole and rub a Q-tip around in the bottom. After about 2-3 times of that it because VERY aparent when looking in with a flash light that there is about 2-3MM of clearence between the bushing and the end of the hole.

This space feeds down into a cavity with runs around the the CPS shaft and allows grease to be feed in just below the bottom of the upper bushing.

The problem is the grease has gotten so hot its turned to sludge or carbon so if you just try blowing on the hole with compressed air all you will hear is just a VERY faint hiss inside the shaft tube.

What I did with mine was put it in boiling water till it was nice and hot then laid it on its side with the soon to be zerk fitting hole up and used a eye dropper to fill it with heavy degreaser again.

After that I washed it out and fitted the ZERK fitting and as I pumped the ZERK fitting I watched the grease flow out inside the shaft tube on all three CPS assemblies.

So there is a passage there its just easy to miss if your not looking really hard for it.

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #364
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
I wonder if it's feasible to have a machine shop press out the old bushing(s) and install a new one with a seal at the top of the assembly so that engine oil will lube the shaft from bottom to top?
Refer to my post #195. My gear looked fine and the top bushing was wore out. I had a machine shop install a oil impregnated brass bushing in its place. 2K miles later and no problems.
Unread 08-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #365
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimitedlou View Post
Refer to my post #195. My gear looked fine and the top bushing was wore out. I had a machine shop install a oil impregnated brass bushing in its place. 2K miles later and no problems.
Are you sure it wasn't a bronze bushing? That seems like it would be more typical for this type of application.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #366
piperpilot3tk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Today I pulled my CPS assembly again and removed the factory blanking plug to install a zerk fitting. I cleaned out the passage with brake cleaner and the passage dead ended at the upper bushing with no passage for the grease to get to the shaft, I verified this with a really bright light and 150 PSI of air pressure. I then grabbed my old '96 distributor that I robbed the gear from and pulled the shaft out and removed the blanking plug from the housing with the same results, NO passage for the grease. One interesting thing I did find was the '96 distributor has bushings that are set up exactly like the '06 CPS assembly. The only difference I could find is the shaft from the '96 distributor is MUCH harder, so obviously a properly hardened shaft will run mostly dry in the upper busing for quite some time, but I still think the design is pure crap!!! So my solution was to drill a hole through the upper bushing with a #40 drill bit and tap the housing and install a grease fitting with 8mm diameter threads. Pumped the CPS full of Mobil 1 SHL-100 synthetic grease. Reinstalled and all is good. Hopefully this will be a long term fix!
piperpilot3tk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #367
Volusiaguy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
Don't take this the wrong way but your machinist didn't look hard enough.

My CPS of my 06,a CPS from a late 04 and the new CPS I got from Chrysler all have the passages behind the plug.

The problem is if you just pull the plug and scrap out the yellowish grease inside it will look like a dead end. What I did was put some heavy degreaser in the hole and rub a Q-tip around in the bottom. After about 2-3 times of that it because VERY aparent when looking in with a flash light that there is about 2-3MM of clearence between the bushing and the end of the hole.

This space feeds down into a cavity with runs around the the CPS shaft and allows grease to be feed in just below the bottom of the upper bushing.

The problem is the grease has gotten so hot its turned to sludge or carbon so if you just try blowing on the hole with compressed air all you will hear is just a VERY faint hiss inside the shaft tube.

What I did with mine was put it in boiling water till it was nice and hot then laid it on its side with the soon to be zerk fitting hole up and used a eye dropper to fill it with heavy degreaser again.

After that I washed it out and fitted the ZERK fitting and as I pumped the ZERK fitting I watched the grease flow out inside the shaft tube on all three CPS assemblies.

So there is a passage there its just easy to miss if your not looking really hard for it.

FOG
Not at all...this is a group deal, right? I'm going to take a look at it again and I may go with a zerk anyway if what you say is right. It's possible that they missed it since they did not pull the bearing. Might not be a bad thing for me to check when I do the checkup on it. Thanks for the head's up.
Volusiaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #368
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Option #2: Repair package part number: 1-CDC0E51AB $32
Can I get this online or is it a "go to the dealer" item? I tried both of the links with no luck but perhaps my search-foo is off tonight.
Unread 08-05-2010, 08:09 PM   #369
snobank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Cps

Thats right, recall E05 MAR 2005 Campaign - Engine Oil Pump Drive Gear/Cam Replacement .

it might fall under it, here is a vin breakdown letter etc

Revised June 2005

Dealer Service Instructions for:

Customer Satisfaction Notification E05
Oil Pump Drive Gear

A revised drive gear parts package has been released. The second roll pin hole must be drilled in the revised drive gear.

2005 (TJ) Jeep(R) Wrangler

NOTE : This notification applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 4.0L eligible ("S" in the 8th VIN position) and an engine build code between 902944 (October 20, 2004) and 900325 (February 1, 2005).

IMPORTANT : Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer vehicle inventory. Dealers should complete this repair on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also perform this repair on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.

Subject

The oil pump drive gear on about 16,000 of the above vehicles may wear out prematurely and cause engine failure due to a loss of oil pressure.

Repair

The camshaft position sensor/oil pump drive assembly date code label must be inspected. Units within a specific date code range must have the drive gear replaced.

All unsold vehicles must have the oil pump drive gear replaced prior to retail delivery to eliminate the risk of engine failure due to premature oil pump drive gear wear. On sold vehicles, the cam/crank angle must also be checked with the DRB III scan tool. Engines found with excessive cam/crank angle must have the oil pump drive gear and the engine camshaft replaced.

Alternate Transportation

Dealers should attempt to minimize customer inconvenience by placing the owner in a loaner vehicle if inspection determines that an engine camshaft is required and the vehicle must be held overnight.

Parts Information

Special Tools

The Special Tools may be required to perform this service procedure.

Completion Reporting and Reimbursement

Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the DealerCONNECT Claim Entry Screen located on the Service tab. Claims submitted will be used by DaimlerChrysler to record Customer Satisfaction Notification service completions and provide dealer payments.

Use one of the labor operation numbers and time allowances shown.

Add the cost of the parts package plus applicable dealer allowance to your claim.

NOTE : See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing Section, for complete claim processing instructions.

Dealer Notification

All dealers will receive a copy of this dealer notification letter by mail. Two additional copies will be sent through the DCMMS. This notification can be viewed on DealerCONNECT by selecting "Global Recall System" on the Service tab, then clicking on the description of this notification.

Owner Notification and Service Scheduling

All involved vehicle owners known to DaimlerChrysler are being notified of the service requirement by mail. They are requested to schedule appointments for this service with their dealers. A generic copy of the owner letter is included.

Enclosed with each owner letter is an Owner Notification postcard to allow owners to update our records if applicable.

Vehicle lists, Global Recall System, VIP and Dealer Follow UP

All involved vehicles have been entered into the DealerCONNECT Global Recall System (GRS) and Vehicle Information Plus (VIP) for dealer inquiry as needed.

GRS provides involved dealers with an updated VIN list of their incomplete vehicles. The owner's name, address and phone number are listed if known. Completed vehicles are removed from GRS within several days of repair claim submission.

To use this system, click on the "Service" tab and then click on "Global Recall System." Your dealer's VIN list for each recall displayed can be sorted by: those vehicles that were unsold at recall launch, those with a phone number, city, zip code, or VIN sequence.

Dealers should perform this repair on all unsold vehicles before retail delivery.

Dealers should also use the VIN list to follow up with all owners to schedule appointments for this repair.

VIN lists may contain confidential, restricted owner name and address information that was obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles of various states. Use of this information is permitted for this notification only and is strictly prohibited from all other use.

Additional Information

If you have any questions or need assistance in completing this action, please contact your Service and Parts District Manager.

Customer Services Field Operations
DaimlerChrysler Corporation

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:40 pm

Display posts from previous: All posts1 day7 days2 weeks1 month3 months6 months1 year Sort by AuthorPost timeSubject AscendingDescending
Page 1 of 2
[ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2 Next

Portal » Board index » Tech » Technical Jeep Talk