Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 24 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #346
JoBuCon
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
I emailed lemon law for ****s and giggles about it to see if there was any possibilities. They said "I have heard of this issue before but if you are out of warranty unfortunately Chrysler has no obligation to fix it". So looks like I'll be getting a 4.7L stroker when my engine blows up.
As for me, i don't think i'm covered by any warranty (An 05 with only 26k miles, but the third owner) which by itself sucks. I wouldn't mind (well, yes i would too) paying the money to fix the problem if there was a viable solution to it. Ya know, if jeep said we've got the new and improved replacement part and its $300 installed, I'd be there tomorrow. And i'm not for sure yet mine is a problem. But i would sleep better at night....

JoBuCon

JoBuCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #347
Volusiaguy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Ok. Picked up the replacement package....a new bottom gear, flange, gasket, rod...and a one-time drill bit to drill the gear?? and install. Pretty laughable..but it may work. Took it to a machine shop recommended by my buddies down at Jeeps R Us and they are going to re-work the shaft, check and re-grease/replace the bearings, and put it all together again good as new. I'll pick it up in the morning and give it a shot. Best option now given price of a new engine etc....I'm going to put myself on the waiting list for the part just in case (and to have a spare). I'll let you guys know how this works out once it's back in and running.

They did take a look at the plug location and the hole seems to end abruptly at the casing for the bearings, so there seems to be no direct route to greasing the bearings by using a zerk fitting unless you were to drill through the casing a bit, and they weren't crazy about that idea. Fog? Any input?

Took a look at the 2003 setups and compared them to ours today to try and get some ideas for future workarounds, but I'm thinking that fixing this one and then checking it occasionally might be enough at the moment....and then either rebuilding or receiving a backup part for any future issues.

I'll update you guys tomorrow on the progress. Cross your fingers!
Volusiaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 06:11 AM   #348
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

What does a new Jasper remanufactured engine cost? I see that used 4.0 engines sell for $1500-$2000. Are any of you just budgeting for a new engine when and if the time comes?
Unread 08-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #349
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So my jeep has been bucking and stumbling, all the same symtoms. I found a ball of catalytic converter wadded up like a check valve in my exhaust pipe, so I removed it and am still having driveability issues, so I checked my cam timing gear and sure enough it's chewed up a bit. I've been on the phone and of course so far I've been told it isn't a recall and I wasn't under warranty. Well I've taken names and i.d.'s and so far i've gotten a 'we'll review your case'.

this is such a load of crap. I bought this jeep just to have summer fun in, and a month after I buy it, a VETERAN engine architecture takes a crap on me? How can they not have the 4.0L engine right after so long? Even best case scenario, I don't see me having a working jeep for several weeks.

Even the tip that plugs into the oil pump is worn badly. The cam gear didn't 'appear' to have much wear, but it was difficult to see in there.

Last edited by anymanusa; 08-05-2010 at 01:54 PM..
anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #350
gunner87
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well, it looks like I will park my 2006 LJ until the part becomes available. It would be nice to hear from the Jeep engineers on what they are coming up with to get us running again. I have previously owned a CJ7, 3 Cherokees, a Dodge 3/4 ton diesel 4X4 pickup, and now the LJ (all bought new)......but this is the last Chrysler product that I will ever own.

gunner
Unread 08-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #351
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
For those wanting to know

Go here
Jeep OEM Parts

Or here

Mopar Parts for Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep: MoparPartsAmerica

And put in part number 53010624AC and you can get the part for like 117.00 shipped instead of 150 at the dealer. I might do this when I get paid again. My question is how to install the new one in the same orientation the old one was in or does that not matter when putting a new one in?

Thanks so much, just ordered one of these, maybe it will end this nightmare.
Unread 08-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #352
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anymanusa View Post
Thanks so much, just ordered one of these, maybe it will end this nightmare.
You need to shoot them an email and ask if they actually have the part in stock and are shipping it to you. There have been several on the forums that have placed orders with online Jeep parts dealers only to find out their part is on back order like everyone else.

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #353
Volusiaguy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Anyman,
They don't have it. You'll get an email in a day or so asking you if you want to continue the order and a random date somewhere towards the end of September (and they'll tell you it's a random date).
My Jeep is up and running again and better than new. I'm gathering some info from previous posts, talking to a couple of folks on here who've been working on this for a while now, and typing up a summary of suggestions and what I did and how I did it.

Bottom line....replacement gear from Chrsyler...$32.....machine shop to polish the shaft of the distributor oil pump and install the new gear etc etc...$40...oil change to diesel oil...$25 or so...I"m out the door less than $100 and three days downtime.

Chrysler is NOT going to take care of this anytime soon, so we need to make it happen. Thanks to all the previous posters who shared enough info to help me get it done. I'll get my summary up today or tomorrow so that others can get things going too.

Dave
Unread 08-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #354
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I wonder if it's feasible to have a machine shop press out the old bushing(s) and install a new one with a seal at the top of the assembly so that engine oil will lube the shaft from bottom to top?
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #355
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
I wonder if it's feasible to have a machine shop press out the old bushing(s) and install a new one with a seal at the top of the assembly so that engine oil will lube the shaft from bottom to top?
that is what I am thinking. mine's ok at the moment but will be pulling it apart and fitting needle bearings in lieu of bushings and packing the top bearing with Mobil synthetic grease

needle bearings can be obtained with a very thin wall thickness like bushings and I think the unit can be easily modified to accept them
Unread 08-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #356
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusiaguy View Post
Anyman,
They don't have it. You'll get an email in a day or so asking you if you want to continue the order and a random date somewhere towards the end of September (and they'll tell you it's a random date).
My Jeep is up and running again and better than new. I'm gathering some info from previous posts, talking to a couple of folks on here who've been working on this for a while now, and typing up a summary of suggestions and what I did and how I did it.

Bottom line....replacement gear from Chrsyler...$32.....machine shop to polish the shaft of the distributor oil pump and install the new gear etc etc...$40...oil change to diesel oil...$25 or so...I"m out the door less than $100 and three days downtime.

Chrysler is NOT going to take care of this anytime soon, so we need to make it happen. Thanks to all the previous posters who shared enough info to help me get it done. I'll get my summary up today or tomorrow so that others can get things going too.

Dave
Thanks. You wouldn't happen to have a convenient link or part number (for that replacement gear) so I can do the same asap. I really need to order this part, as my nearest dealer is quite a ways out, and they won't answer the phone anyway. Thanks.
Unread 08-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #357
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah a part number for the gear would be sick.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #358
Volusiaguy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Bonza,
Where is this part number from? I can't find it anywhere, and I'd like to add a link to my summary. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonza View Post
part number J3181288

as it appears the top bearing bush is seizing on the shaft and therefore placing high load on the pinion and causing it to wear, is it there enough room to fit sealed needle roller bearings

does anyone know the inside and outside diameters and lenght of the bearing bushes?
I have just quickly looked through a SKF bearing catalogue and they supply a very comprehensive range of needle bearings. the speed ratings would be OK, if the bearing is, say, 20mm ID max RPM for that bearing is 9,000 grease filled or 14,000 oil lubed
Unread 08-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #359
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

J3181288 is the Mopar part number for the seal where the CPS drive assembly fits into the motor. the part number is out of the official Mopar parts listing for 2005 Wranglers and is listed in "group 8 sensors 610 sensors engine" and is item 4. would imagine the same for all years

as far as needle bearings go, I havent pulled my CPS assembly apart yet to measure it up and work out what SKF part numbers will fit
Unread 08-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #360
Volusiaguy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Ok...here's my experience and the information I was able to gather over the last few days....I had the chattering monkey syndrome, pulled the CPS, had some unusual wear that was just starting on the gear and some markings that needed to be smoothed and polish off of the shaft by a machine shop. The shaft and bearing were fine. Re-greased, re-installed, and we'll check up on it in a couple of months, but it is running great and seems to be better than new....all for a total cost of $72.

Here are my ideas and notes to add to what has been posted before. Thanks to all of you who have been posting to this for your ideas and help in getting this resolved...at least for now:

Check your gearing using the instructions in this thread. If you have a problem (even if it's making the chattering monkey sound), contact Chrysler to get a case number so you can add to their embarrassment and data base:

Contact Us by Telephone:
1-800-853-1403
M-F 8:00A.M. - 5:00P.M.
(U.S. Continental Time Zones

Since they probably won't/can't help you without a part, here are your options at this point:

Option #1: Part number: 53010624AC Distributor Oil Pump ($112-150 from a dealer or from:

Jeep OEM Parts

Jeep OEM Parts

This part is back-ordered in the US/Canada/everywhere else. The number of back-orders was 237 as of 8/5/10. The companies listed above will let you order them, but you will receive an Indefinite Backorder Email within a day or two saying that they have no determined date for delivery. You may want to get on this list to have a backup in case they ever DO fix it.

Option #2: Repair package part number: CDC0E51AB $32

Chrysler did send out a Replacement/Repair package in 05 to their dealers to deal with this issue. The part number above consists of a kit that contains the bottom gear, a new gasket, a brass mounting flange, a mounting pin to hold the gear to the shaft, and a one-time drill bit to drill out the mounting hole on the new gear. (My gear already had two holes opposite of each other to use and they thought the drilling option was idiotic at best..
Take this kit and your old part to a machine shop, have them polish the shaft and install the new gear and check/replace the upper sealed bearing, and you will be good as new.
My guy did mine for $40 total. The bearing was in great shape, so they cleaned up the shaft, greased up the bearings again, put it all together, and we're good to go.

Option #3: Order the gear itself from the following vendors.

4WD Hardware: BOTTOM GEAR - RETAIL:
Distributor Drive Gear by Crown Automotive and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH3

Crown Automotive (BOTTOM GEAR - WHOLESALE):
Distributor Gear (2.5L, 4.0L) | Crown Automotive Sales
Part #83504635

Option #4: Buy or find a 99-04 CPS unit from EBAY or a junkyard for like 20 bucks and pull the gear of it.

You will also need to order the gasket for any of the options above (minus the Chrysler repair kit as it already has one included). The part number from Chrysler is J3181288. (I'm pretty sure that the gaskets from a 2002-2003 distributor oil pump would work too since they seem to have the same base. It's a flat, fiber, round gasket that fits around the base of the assembly, so you could probably find a substitute by trial and error at your local auto parts dealer.)

I did talk to my machinist about installing a zerk fitting to lube the bearings, BUT my 2006 model had a sealed bearing assembly and the location of the zerk would have led to nothing but a dead end. It seems Chrysler may have made some adjustments to the manufacturing process after 05, but I'm not positive about this. My Jeep was build on 12/05 and I still had the chattering monkey syndrome and unusual wear on the gear and binding on the shaft.

That's all I have for now. Post or PM me if you have any questions, and I'll keep you posted as this moves along.

Dave

Last edited by Volusiaguy; 08-05-2010 at 07:34 PM..

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.