Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 08-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #286
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwmac View Post
What about using BG MOA which is supposed to be an antiwear product?
BG MOA is nothing but ZDDP (zinc and phosphorus) in a light oil carrier. IF you want to use it or a product similar to it there is no problem with that. But IMHO its a waste of money. Just run a good diesel oil with 1300PPM+ of ZDDP and a robust additive package.

Just remember too much of a good thing isn't always good. Don't go nuts and buy 4-5 bottles of ZDDP additive and dump them in. Running more than 1600PPM of ZDDP causes the oil PH to drop which leads to allot of nasty problems.

FOG

In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #287
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp View Post
Thanks for the info. As the heat index here is 110 or above, I just pulled the cover to check for play or binding. It only had a small amount of rotational play and turned freely. No noise or vibration while running. I have about 60K on it (Rev E). Will pull it once the temps go down.

I pulled the distributor in my '92 at 220K and it had very little wear, but it was cheaper to buy a reman distributor than to just replace the cam sensor in it.
Make sure to get a new gasket before you pull your CPS...chances are the old one will come apart when you take the CPS out - mine did. Unfortunately it's not an o-ring like most distributors on older cars, it's a fiber gasket.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #288
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I stopped by my dealer today with my pictures in hand and showed them to the service guys. One of the guys was familiar with the issue and said that if it was going to be a problem it would have within the first 1000 or so miles on the vehicle. They suggested I bring it up when I bring the vehicle in for another warranty issue so that the $100 deductible would be for both? Is a powertrain warranty issue supposed to have a deductible? I'm probably going to just keep an eye of mine and pull it again in another 2000 miles to compare the wear with the previous wear.

Unread 08-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #289
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I tore apart my old OPDA and the upper bushing and shaft had all the wear, the bottom 3/4 looked great. from my understanding that portion of the OPDA is factory packed with grease and the oil doesn't travel that high. you can see a lead filled plug on the side of the housing, this was used for adding grease. I believe this has been documented over at ROF.
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #290
aRedRocker
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
I stopped by my dealer today with my pictures in hand and showed them to the service guys. One of the guys was familiar with the issue and said that if it was going to be a problem it would have within the first 1000 or so miles on the vehicle. They suggested I bring it up when I bring the vehicle in for another warranty issue so that the $100 deductible would be for both? Is a powertrain warranty issue supposed to have a deductible? I'm probably going to just keep an eye of mine and pull it again in another 2000 miles to compare the wear with the previous wear.

How many miles is this?
aRedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #291
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

^^ 49,000 miles
Unread 08-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #292
aRedRocker
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
^^ 49,000 miles
Do your bushings and shaft seem to be OK?
Unread 08-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #293
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aRedRocker View Post
Do your bushings and shaft seem to be OK?
I didn't really look at them.
Unread 08-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #294
aRedRocker
2006 LJ Wrangler 

OK, thanks.
Unread 08-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #295
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
from my understanding that portion of the OPDA is factory packed with grease and the oil doesn't travel that high. you can see a lead filled plug on the side of the housing, this was used for adding grease. I believe this has been documented over at ROF.
What is ROF ???

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #296
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

rubicon owners forum
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #297
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
I thought about it, and I can't see why they would have it if other places don't. Let us know if you get it next week.
I'm not going to hold my breath...
Quote:
Thank you for your order. The part is on backorder with no current promise time. I have updated the order with a best guess estimate, but it could be longer. We will need your approval on the new eta of 09/09 to process the order. Just go to your order status and login. Then click on your order number, review it, and approve or cancel.
As long as they don't charge the credit card until it ships I'll keep the order open & see how it goes. In the meantime, I'm planning to inspect mine and maybe swap out the gear as explained in recent posts.
Unread 08-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #298
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

1/2 inch vs 13mm hold down bolt

My 05 has a 1/2 inch hold down bolt vs a 13mm as listed in the original post. Makes me wonder if the earlier ones used a different part? My build date for both engine and vehicle was early in October of 2004 slightly before the official TSB started. I also read on ROF about someone else that had the 1/2 inch bolt vs the 13mm.
Unread 08-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #299
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
Something doesn't add up .It was made in Dec of 05 and it was replaced in 05 ?
Dealers are required to have any recalls done on vehicles for sale or brought in for service. Nowadays with folks using auto sites to gather info on problems before going shopping dealers don't want to have any recalls sitting on their lot.

When they got the TSB on this they were expecting a recall, so some dealers went ahead and performed it with the parts they already had in stock inventory.The bad ones taken out were saved to be returned when the recall came. Obviously it never did and the dealers had to go back and redo paperwork for reimbursement to them. My neighbor is a Jeep service manager and this was what happened to mine.
Evidently this occurs from time to time.

The good news is you got a " old " new part so it should be fine.
Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #300
Anthyd
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I pulled mine out today the gear was worn like the ones in the pics of some of the other members on here. 2006 only 50,000 miles. I can't really tell about the cam but I am not going to replace it anyway. This stinks, I just wonder what all those metal shavings have done to my motor. This is my 4th jeep and everyone of them have been buggy I am threw with jeeps unless its well used with a different motor and gears. I think next time I am just going to get a Toyota Tacoma. Maybe I will just stick the old CPS back in and trade it.
Anthyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.