Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 07-29-2010, 11:21 PM   #241
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
Would a good synthetic oil help with this issue?
I dont know? maybe a slightly heavier viscosity than 10W-30.

is that oil on your pinion? it looks terrible or is it just the photo.
and it looks like the tips of the teeth are worn in the first image

Unread 07-30-2010, 01:28 AM   #242
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Most synthetic oils won't help this type of wear because they have very low ZDDP content.

The best oil to use to reduce wear on the CPS is a oil high in ZDDP AKA Zinc and Phosphorus.

For warmer climates go with Delo 15W-40 or in cooler climates go with Mobil One 5W-40 Turbo Diesel oil. Both have ZDDP contents in the range of 1200-1300PPM vs most regular and synthetic oils only have 700-800PPM.

And I know someone who doesn't understand oils and ratings is going to jump in and flame me about being the oils I recommended being "diesel oils". All I can say is go grab a bottle of "diesel oil" off the shelf and you will see a SM or SL API rating which means its just fine to run in a gas engine.

Heck even Harley Davidson specifies in their manual that if you need to put oil in your cycle and can't get their brand of oil then to ONLY use a diesel motor oil because of the robust additive package and ZDDP levels.

Or if your still firm about not running a diesel motor oil, you can buy bottles of ZDDP addative to bring the levels up to 1300PPM.

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 06:09 AM   #243
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Does the rotation of the cps affect timing like a conventional distributor? If it is rotated 1/16 inch during reassembly will that affect the timing? I'm positive the wheel inside it is in the original position but the wheel has about 1/16 inch of play against the gears. So when you line up the marks you made at the start the wheel can be in a very slightly different position.

Last edited by keithert; 07-30-2010 at 07:41 AM..
keithert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 08:12 AM   #244
tshively
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It is called cam/crank sync. To get it close as possible you need a scan tool.
tshively is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:42 AM   #245
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshively View Post
What does the scan tool do?
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #246
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshively View Post
To install the new one? I got the old one dead on when reinstalling it..but that was because I marked everything really well. I guess I'll get my mechanic buddy with a scan tool to do it...it can't take but 5 minutes.
Unread 07-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #247
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Good to know. Thanks for heads up

www.stu-offroad.com
TJ Alignment Videos
Currie Control Arms Install Tips
Off Road Tips Techniques

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]
UncleWilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #248
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

There is no need for a scan tool if you use a indexing pin.

When you take the cover off of the CPS assembly you will see a small round hole in the wheel that spins. You also have a small hole in the bottom of the housing the lower left part of it below the wheel if your looking at the assembly from over the passengers side wheel well.

All you need to do is SLOWLY turn the crank pulley with a wrench till the two holes line up. If you have a manual transmission you can just put it in gear and have someone slowly push while you watch for them to line up.

Once the two holes are lines up stick in a allen wrench that will give a nice snug fit.

Now you just unbolt the CPS keeper bolt and pull the assembly out. The new CPS assemblies come with a indexing pin installed in them. So all you have to so is slide the new one in and make sure it seats in the oil pump. Then tighten down the keeper and pull the indexing pin out and your done.

The indexing holes/pin method beats the hell out of trying mark the location with a magic marker.

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
Unread 07-30-2010, 01:15 PM   #249
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Where can I get an indexing pin?
Unread 07-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #250
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sounds like it is just something like an allen wrench to put in the hole to keep either the rotor or the case from moving.
Unread 07-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #251
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ah, well. It doesn't look like I'll be able to get a new one for a while. I've called 3 dealers and an online dealer and they don't have any in stock and the chrysler database is down and they can't see when new ones will come in. So hopefully my **** doesn't fail on my 5 hour drive to VA beach next week.
Unread 07-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #252
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post
How do we know that a new replacement CPS pinion is made from the right "harder" material???
This is my question also. I just ordered the replacement (53010624AC) and will install as soon as I can. But are we sure it will last or am I just delaying the inevitable? Can someone who has installed a new one comment?
Unread 07-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #253
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
Where can I get an indexing pin?
As I said in my posting just use the snuggest fitting allen wrench. The new ones come with a plastic indexing pin but a allen wrench works just as well.

As far as the new ones lasting only time will tell. I installed a new one and inspected it after 5K miles and so far so good. I plan on pulling it out every 5,000 miles for about 20K miles to track and measure its wear.

FOG
Unread 07-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #254
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The title of this thread should be changed to "Chrysler isn't going to do **** about their problem and just let you handle it yourselves"

Yup, they won't hear anything from me regarding this, even the higher ups said so. When I find that new part it's going in.

I appreciate all the help Fog.
Unread 07-30-2010, 03:34 PM   #255
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know the hardness specs for the gear? If so, I'd have the new CPS gear checked and if not to spec, perhaps have it hardened properly.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.