Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-29-2010, 01:00 AM   #226
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

posting again. What do yall think of the wear? Got everything buttoned down and she purs like a kitten (well a BIG kitten ahah) no codes or anything. Sorry for the ****ty pic, my cell is all i had, you can look at the right side of the gear to see.

I have about 50,000 miles on my Jeep.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach

Last edited by 2006_Sport; 07-29-2010 at 01:12 AM..
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 03:46 AM   #227
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
posting again. What do yall think of the wear?
Well you didn't post a really good close up nor did you post pics from different angles. That being said the wear marks on the gear are too long and there are visible striations.

What this means is that normally there is very small peak/contact area on the CPS assembly gear and the crankshaft. But as that small peaks wear down it allows more of the gear surface to contact the camshaft gear.

As the CPS gear gets worn down it allows clearance to increase between it and the gear on the camshaft. As the edges of the camshaft gear slide off the CPS gear you get the vertical striations.

Here is how much surface should be worn down on the CPS gear. Notice the smoothness of the polished contact area and the length of it.

Now here is a picture of what uneven excessive wear looks like. Notice the contact area is much larger and almost twice the size of the normal contact area. Also note the striations and the unpolished worn look.

IMHO your gear is showing increased wear and I would replace the assembly soon.

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #228
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Chrysler is ****ing me on this one. I contacted my dealer about it and they go "sorry can't do anything for you since your warranty is up". I thnk I might take it higher up if I start having issues.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 07-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #229
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think I might take it higher up if I start having issues.
Right now all you have is some wear on a gear, if you let it go till you start having issues then you will have significant engine damage.

Once the wear on the CPS gear has worn down to the point of causing noticeable issues, its damaged the camshaft gear which requires you to either pull off the front of the Jeep to pull out the camshaft or pull the engine to get access to replace the camshaft.

My advice is to get on the phone and call around and find a dealership with a replacement CPS assembly in stock. I know its a crappy deal having to eat $150 for something they screwed up on but its allot less agrivation then engine damage and fighting tooth and nail.

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #230
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

the problem is there is not an OPDA anywhere to be found. your only left with used at this moment and I have seen nowhere on the net where anyone has a timeline on when these will be available again. surely someone can come up with a better design or an electronic gizmo that will allow us to run the previous style OPDA. we have 2 model yrs here, no replacement part from the factory. I would think this is a market definitely looking for a solution, make it and they will come...

Last edited by roadkill; 07-29-2010 at 01:19 PM..
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #231
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
Right now all you have is some wear on a gear, if you let it go till you start having issues then you will have significant engine damage.

Once the wear on the CPS gear has worn down to the point of causing noticeable issues, its damaged the camshaft gear which requires you to either pull off the front of the Jeep to pull out the camshaft or pull the engine to get access to replace the camshaft.

My advice is to get on the phone and call around and find a dealership with a replacement CPS assembly in stock. I know its a crappy deal having to eat $150 for something they screwed up on but its allot less agrivation then engine damage and fighting tooth and nail.

FOG
Only 150 bucks? That's not too bad. But wouldn't I need to replace the cam as well since it would have similar wear? Or was it the OPDA thats just needing replaced?

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:35 PM   #232
tshively
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I think what he is saying is that if you can get your gear changed out in time it won't take the cam gear with it. My gear is a little bit worse than yours. The dealer told me it was usual wear and all was o.k. I called Chrysler got a case # etc. and still nothing. From reading the above posts the parts to kinda-fix the problem are hard to find. To completely fix the problem I would think that you should replace cam and OPD. Hopefully with the new parts we won't find ourselves in the same situation a few years down the road??
tshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #233
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Only 150 bucks? That's not too bad. But wouldn't I need to replace the cam as well since it would have similar wear? Or was it the OPDA thats just needing replaced?

It all depends on the wear of the CPS/OPDA assembly. From the amount shown in your pictures IMHO has not gotten bad enough to start to harm the camshaft.

That being said when you go to install a new CPS/OPDA assembly shine a light inside the engine block and take a good hard look at the camshaft gear. What your looking for is disfigurement or excessive wear on the edges of the gear.

ROADKILL- There are some dealerships that still have them in stock but you have to really burn up the phone to find them. To make this allot easier don't ask them for a CPS or OPDA. Instead find the part number (its in this thread) and ask them to check stock for a part number. I did this and I found one in about 20 minutes.

FOG
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #234
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

For those wanting to know

Go here
Jeep OEM Parts

Or here

Mopar Parts for Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep: MoparPartsAmerica

And put in part number 53010624AC and you can get the part for like 117.00 shipped instead of 150 at the dealer. I might do this when I get paid again. My question is how to install the new one in the same orientation the old one was in or does that not matter when putting a new one in?

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 07-29-2010, 02:35 PM   #235
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Everyone with this problem needs to file a complaint here: Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), File A Safety Complaint

Especially those of you with build dates outside the TSB window.
Unread 07-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #236
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just called Chrysler, they said they can't do much about it but I kinda pushed it so they lady is sending my info to some higher ups. This sorta thing would happen outside of my warranty..of course.

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 07-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #237
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

How do we know that a new replacement CPS pinion is made from the right "harder" material???

Obviously the whole last batch of the manufacturer (who is out of business) was crap!
I am quite worried now ... my supposedly reliable I6L is a ticking time bomb. And the fix (which is hard to get) probably a turning back of the timer only. Do I see prices of 2005/2006 TJs dropping because of a cap to the lifespan of the engine? ... shoooooooooot!!!!
(I love my TJ, if the engine fails I will sue them for a Mopar 4.7 stroker engine )
No lawyers driving a 2006 TJ here ???

(more shoooooot : Jeep is owned by Fiat now ... failures because of crappy material quality are the norm. Have you ever heard about the crappy timing belts in Fiats and Alfa Romeos??? GRAAAAHHHH)
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #238
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

looks like I'll be ordering this part tonight. Dammit, this slows progress down on what I wanna do with my Jeep. My dad thinks its all BS and that TSBs are there to help make money. I really hope I don't have to replace the cam too, thats more time and lots more money.

Quote:
-Zach

Last edited by 2006_Sport; 07-29-2010 at 06:56 PM..
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:10 PM   #239
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Tonight I tore into mine to take a look. I pulled the distributor on my Tracker not too long ago so I thought it shouldn't be too hard. It wasn't hard, it just took forever. Took me about 2 hours to get it pulled, checked, photographed, and then properly seated. Getting it seated was what took so long. I hate working on vehicles because nothing ever goes simply. My LJ has 49,000 miles. The wear isn't bad but I'm going to talk to the dealer about it. I'm under extended warranty for 3 years and powertrain for 2.5 years. I marked my position several times not thinking that the next time it will be different. I'll have to use a different color marker the next time. My LJ's build date is about 2 weeks before the official start of this issue.

Last edited by keithert; 07-29-2010 at 10:43 PM..
keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:13 PM   #240
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Would a good synthetic oil help keep the gear from wearing?

Last edited by keithert; 07-29-2010 at 10:31 PM..
keithert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.