Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #196
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp View Post
Let us know what you find, I've got about 58K on mine. No noise or miss.
I didn't get to it today, but I'm honestly not worried about it right now. My engines running fine, if i start to feel a misfire then I'll yank the gear and check.

Unread 07-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #197
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've seen the hold down bolt snap off with no prior symptoms...
Unread 07-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #198
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'd check it, but I'm also kinda nervous to do it on my own with just reading forum stuff. Knowing my luck something will get screwed up going back in and I'll be in "limp" mode and throwing codes.
Unread 07-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #199
tjindiana
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have an 05 with 19k miles and I am worried about this too. Pruchased 11/05and I am still covered by my 7/70 for another 2.5 years.

I thought about checking this out but maybe I should leave it alone until a problem starts. I don't have any issues but this problem concerns me.
tjindiana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #200
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

When it goes will it take out just the cam or will the engine be toast? One poster said the engine would go into limp home mode. Will this shut down keep it from damage?
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #201
tjindiana
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would like to know why Chrysler did not put out a recall to fix this issue. I am sure they have researched it and believe the engines will make it to 70k+ with the defective part so they gamble with the cost of a recall and warranty claims.
tjindiana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #202
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach06 View Post
I'd check it, but I'm also kinda nervous to do it on my own with just reading forum stuff. Knowing my luck something will get screwed up going back in and I'll be in "limp" mode and throwing codes.
I agree with Zach06. Everything is good right now and it would be just my luck to sneeze at the wrong time & screw up something. IMO, if I'm going to go to the trouble of checking it I might as well get a new one and replace it.
Unread 07-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #203
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
When it goes will it take out just the cam or will the engine be toast? One poster said the engine would go into limp home mode. Will this shut down keep it from damage?
The CPS assembly is turns the oil pump, and the cam shaft turns the CPS assembly. So if the gear on the CPS fails then you loose your oil pump which will result in serious engine damage.

The reason Chrysler is being so low key about the issue is the company that was making the CPS assembly went out of business and they don't currently have anyone producing them so their stock is very limited. They know if they put out an active recall they will have ALLOT of pissed Jeep owners because they don't have any new CPS assemblies to honor the recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiOR View Post
I agree with Zach06. Everything is good right now and it would be just my luck to sneeze at the wrong time & screw up something. IMO, if I'm going to go to the trouble of checking it I might as well get a new one and replace it.
Just because "everything is good now" doesn't mean that the gear isn't wearing down. IF you catch it early all you have to is replace the CPS assembly but if you wait till it shows symptoms then your camshaft gear has taken damage and your engine will require a tear down and rebuilt and a LONG LONG fight with Chyrsler to get them to cover it.

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 04:57 PM   #204
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
The CPS assembly is turns the oil pump, and the cam shaft turns the CPS assembly. So if the gear on the CPS fails then you loose your oil pump which will result in serious engine damage.
Not true. Since this is also the distributor drive, you lose your spark so the engine immediately shuts down before it has a chance to do any damage.

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you fully understand the situation."
AZJeepNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #205
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJeepNewbie View Post
Not true. Since this is also the distributor drive, you lose your spark so the engine immediately shuts down before it has a chance to do any damage.
No you don't loose your spark, the signal for the spark is generated from the crank shaft position sensor on the back on the engine on the flywheel. The camshaft position sensor assembly gives the input for the fuel timing HOWEVER the engine will run without this signal in a "limp mode" liming you to 2500RPM.

On a 05 you don't have a "distributor" you a coil pack with a coil for each cylinder. What is in place of where the distributor cap was is the CPS assembly.

What happens is the CPS starts to strip out because of excessive gear wear. As as result of this it turns the oil pump slower and slower which results in lower oil pressure which you don't notice till it hits 7psi because of the "fake oil pressure gauge"

The engine will run with a stripped out CPS assembly it just won't run faster than 2500rpm which is plenty fast to do damage due to lack of oil pressure.

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #206
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The engine will run with a stripped out CPS assembly it just won't run faster than 2500rpm which is plenty fast to do damage due to lack of oil pressure.
While your knowledge of the ignition system is better than my recollection (boy was I off), my experience disagrees with your theory. My engine died suddenly and catastrophically when my CPS/oil pump drive gear stripped out. My oil pressure suddenly went to zero, and my engine immediately shut down. Now it's possible that the ignition was actually firing and the timing was so far off that the engine wouldn't run. Kind of hard to tell. But the engine did stop and would not run after that. I was 100 miles from home in the middle of nowhere after a long day which had just gotten a lot longer.

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you fully understand the situation."
Unread 07-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #207
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

Okay just wondering after reading most of this, so do I avoid all late model 2004 to 2006 Wranglers? This sounds like a pretty major **** up. Like alot of you guys have said, Chrysler still has to tear into the engine to properly fix this, otherwise is every other TJ in this year range waiting to develop this problem? What an ****ty ordeal.
MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 12:02 AM   #208
jeep06
2015 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
No you don't loose your spark, the signal for the spark is generated from the crank shaft position sensor on the back on the engine on the flywheel. The camshaft position sensor assembly gives the input for the fuel timing HOWEVER the engine will run without this signal in a "limp mode" liming you to 2500RPM.

On a 05 you don't have a "distributor" you a coil pack with a coil for each cylinder. What is in place of where the distributor cap was is the CPS assembly.

What happens is the CPS starts to strip out because of excessive gear wear. As as result of this it turns the oil pump slower and slower which results in lower oil pressure which you don't notice till it hits 7psi because of the "fake oil pressure gauge"

FOG
Well FYI, the only thing the crank shaft position sensor does is tell the PCM the engine speed and crank position. The camshaft position sensor does the same as the old distributor type ignitions telling which cylinder should get spark. Hence if your gear is stripped on this cps shaft, your engine will not run,,, nope ain't gonna happen. Also there are only three coil packs on these engines, not one for every cylinder. The coil packs fire two cylinders at a time, one that is in compression/power stroke and the dead one that is in exhaust stroke. Just wanted to give you a heads up on this in case you try changing your CPK sensor thinking it will improve your spark management.
Unread 07-28-2010, 12:53 AM   #209
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I guess I'll take another stab at it. I guess I have to worry about it considering my Jeeps build date was April, 7th 2006

Last edited by 2006_Sport; 07-28-2010 at 01:52 AM..
2006_Sport is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #210
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep06 View Post
Well FYI, the only thing the crank shaft position sensor does is tell the PCM the engine speed and crank position. The camshaft position sensor does the same as the old distributor type ignitions telling which cylinder should get spark. Hence if your gear is stripped on this cps shaft, your engine will not run,,, nope ain't gonna happen.
This certainly agrees with my experience.

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.