Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #181
aRedRocker
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for that info, looks like I'm in the clear.

aRedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #182
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatlord View Post
, "if your numbers are between 4297 and 4364 the TSB EO5R will pertain to you."
Redrocker I wouldn't let this give you a false sense of security. My 06LJ built in 02/06 with with date code on the CPS of 5454 started to fail.

These pics are of my CPS gear, one side of the gear has normal wear that as you rotate the gear gets bigger and bigger and has striations.

After hearing about a friends 05 that had this problem I got paranoid and decided to pull my CPS and take a look. Above is what I found, the defective gear had started to wear unevenly. When I went to buy a new one from the dealer I took the old one with me and had the dealer look at it. I didn't want to try and get a warranty claim I just wanted his opinion.

He agreed that the uneven wear with the striations in picture 2 mean the gear is starting to fail.

Bottom line is DON'T TRUST THE DATE CODE. Its really easy to pull your CPS out and take a look.

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #183
aRedRocker
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well crap.
aRedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 07:41 AM   #184
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I know this is almost a month old but I accidentally stumbled on it. I swapped my whole assembly out a while back. This thread shows how to do it and what it sounds like when its failing:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...-angry-876488/
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #185
ElJaynocibuR

I hope everyone understands that by replacing 1 gear you're just biding time until it fails. It's not the only gear wearing prematurely. Go ahead and look at the cam gear while you have it out and you'll see what I'm talking about.

IMO it's like replacing a pinion gear, when both the ring and pinion are wearing unevenly. How long do you think you're "new" gear will last with a worn gear running with it?
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:27 AM   #186
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJaynocibuR View Post
I hope everyone understands that by replacing 1 gear you're just biding time until it fails. It's not the only gear wearing prematurely. Go ahead and look at the cam gear while you have it out and you'll see what I'm talking about.

IMO it's like replacing a pinion gear, when both the ring and pinion are wearing unevenly. How long do you think you're "new" gear will last with a worn gear running with it?
For some of us, this was the only option. For me, no warranty and an unwilling dealership=replace the easiest failing component myself. I called Chrysler and got nowhere. The dealership wouldnt even acknowledge that it was an issue (even though I brought up the TSB).... I might try again when I get back to the states.
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:54 AM   #187
ElJaynocibuR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fropleyquark View Post
For some of us, this was the only option. For me, no warranty and an unwilling dealership=replace the easiest failing component myself. I called Chrysler and got nowhere. The dealership wouldnt even acknowledge that it was an issue (even though I brought up the TSB).... I might try again when I get back to the states.
I understand. I wish everyone good luck with it.
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #188
Tryer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, I just stumbled onto this thread. After reading all the posts, I am thinking anyone with a 05 or 06 ought to be checking this. What a thing to look forward too.
Tryer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #189
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My 05 LJ's engine was built on 4/08/2004. From the first post in this thread it says that engines built after 4/19 had the issue. Has anyone heard of an earlier engine having the issue?
Unread 07-18-2010, 01:37 AM   #190
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
My 05 LJ's engine was built on 4/08/2004. From the first post in this thread it says that engines built after 4/19 had the issue. Has anyone heard of an earlier engine having the issue?

When I bought the new CPS assembly for my 06 I had a conversation with my local dealerships service manager who is one of rare ones that will tell you the whole truth and not the Chrysler ideal of truth.

He said that he is seeing the failure of CPS assembly well outside of the date code that are specified in the TSB. And his belief from dealing with a good amount of failures is if its a 04-06 TJ the CPS gear IS going to fail its just a matter of when.

So either pull it and inspect it every couple thousand miles or just go down and buy a new one for $150. That is if you can find one because of all the recent failures they are back ordered at most dealerships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJaynocibuR View Post

It all depends on the amount of wear on your CPS assemblies drive gear. If you wait till your throwing timing error code because your CPS gear has been ate up then yes the new CPS will just get torn up by the bad camshaft gear. However if you catch it early like I did with on mu 06LJ then its no problem to just replace the CPS assembly.

The issue isn't caused by any fault of the camshaft, its because the CPS assembly gear is soft and as it wears down it allows slack in the meshing of the gears. This slack acts like a air hammer beating the hell out of the camshaft gear.

But as I said if you catch it at the level were its just makes slight striations on the CPS assembly gear then there isn't a problem with just putting in a new CPS assembly.

Bottom line is don't take the dealers or the TSB's word for the date code. Go outside and spend 20 minutes and pull your CPS assembly out and inspect it. Or better yet just buy a new one and replace it because its not if its just when its going to fail.

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.

Last edited by TheFog; 07-18-2010 at 01:51 AM..
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 01:59 AM   #191
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Dammit, should have never read this thread. Now I gotta go outside tomorrow morning and pull my OPDG and see what's going on. I don't have ANY driveability issues whatsoever, I guess it doesn't hurt to check. I have about 50,900 miles on my Jeep.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 02:37 AM   #192
Buffalo99
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sure glad I found this thread... thanks to all that have posted and contributed.
Buffalo99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #193
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach06 View Post
Dammit, should have never read this thread. Now I gotta go outside tomorrow morning and pull my OPDG and see what's going on. I don't have ANY driveability issues whatsoever, I guess it doesn't hurt to check. I have about 50,900 miles on my Jeep.
Let us know what you find, I've got about 58K on mine. No noise or miss.
Unread 07-18-2010, 04:27 PM   #194
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I inspected my CPS gear and didnt find any wear after 80,000 kilometers, about 50,000 miles so guess I was one of the lucky ones. the flanks on the pinion teeth were polished by the action of the mesh with the camshaft gear as is to be expected, but not worn.

what about the gear replacement CPS. how does one know if they are any good or are they soft as well. has anyone done a hardness test on them and compared it with the old pinion
Unread 07-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #195
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have been fighting this issue for the last couple of months. Finally, my Jeep would just do random misfires and go into limp mode. The way to find out if you are having a problem is to put your hand on the OPDA (Oil Pump Drive Assy) and see if it is vibrating badly. Believe me, you will be able to feel it.
Here is a little background. I have been getting random misfires and throwing CPS CEL's. My Jeep goes in to limp mode (when the motor will not go over 2500 rpm's and starts bucking) after about 15 minutes when the motor gets good and warm. After searching the forum for answers, I started changing out everything. Crank Pos. Sensor, Cam Pos. Sensor, spark plugs, catalytic converter, and oxygen sensors. The dealer even looked at it and said it was ok. I even went as far as running a compression test, seafoamed and cleaned EVERYTHING, and put dielectric grease on every electric connection on the motor and PCM. Even the ground connections were coated. And still no change.
Finally, while the engine was running I heard a little noise coming from the OPDA. When I put my hand on it there was quite a vibration. I pulled the OPDA and disassembled it. There are two metal bushings in the OPDA. There is one in the top and one in the bottom. My top bushing was wore out. There was about 1/8" of play. My Jeep has 95K on it.
The problem is in the oiling of the OPDA. There are no oil journals to provide oiling to the top bushing. Basically, late 04 til the end of production on the 4.0 Chrysler went to a Mercedes designed OPDA and programming on the PCM. This is a very piss pore design. If anyone is getting close to 90K on there Wrangler, you might want to keep a watch on random misfires. If your Jeep starts misfiring randomly, put your hand on the OPDA and see if you have a bad vibration.
Now to address the TSB on the OPDA. I have two dealers in the area and they will do nothing until you pay them to diagnose it. I got lucky with one of them because they did not charge me due to the fact that they could not find a problem. After emailing Chrysler, I received a generic message saying that they were sorry and were sure that the problem would be taken care of very quickly. That was a month and a half ago. Then I called Chrysler and got the same response from a person. There must be a form letter that Chrysler goes by. Right now there is a back order of over 250 OPDA's with over 20 Jeeps sitting at dealers and the owners cannot drive them. Dealers can look on the computer of an ETA and distributor. As of last week, there is no ETA and no distributor listed in the dealer computer. I was told by the dealer that meant Chrysler had no one to produce the part. After not driving my Jeep for almost a month, I found that unacceptable.
So, I put my thinking cap on and looked for a solution. I decided the remedy was a new top bushing for my OPDA. The machine shops here around town were scared to work on my OPDA. I finally found one that was willing to take on the project. The machine shop made me a new oil impregnated brass bushing and installed it into the top of my OPDA. The machinist said it should last for quite a while. Installation was a breeze and I got the LJ running yesterday. It runs as good as it ever has.
And by the way, my OPDA and cam gears look fine.
Good luck all 04 to 06 LJ and TJ owners.

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.