Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 122 - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1816 of 1825 Old 08-07-2015, 01:51 AM
bonza
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStMarie View Post
I have read somewhere that the gear on the OPDA is a softer metal than the Cam gear, by design, but I can't find the link where I read that.
that is correct, you may have found that somewhere buried in the 5,000 plus posts here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20.../index353.html as I did a hardess test with an Equotip machine and the opda pinion wasn't very hard at all.
I dont remember the results, but I felt satisfied that it was the sacrificial part and not likely to wear out the cam gear


"I like a man who grins when he fights"
— Winston Churchill..
bonza is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1817 of 1825 Old 11-23-2015, 04:34 PM
Jp90Talon
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 247
Just wanted to give an update. I posted in this thread about 5 years ago when my 05 Rubihara had an OPDA failure at around 44k miles but it has long been buried. As you can see in the pics the gear actually shattered and dropped into the oil pan. (yes I lost all oil pressure).






Had it towed home and a new MOPAR opda installed. (doorman and Crown hadn't yet started selling replacement parts yet and Mopar was the only option). Havent had any issues and have about 76k miles on it. However over the past week sporadically I have started having an issue where its runs and drives great but sometimes when I turn it off and go to restart it I get a odd clicking noise from the dash and the gauges go nuts. Installed a new starter last year and battery is good so pretty sure I can rule those out. Just ordered a Crown opda replacement figuring it was a good idea to replace anyways and going to pull the old one as soon as it arrives. Hope the odd no start issue is as easy a fix as that and will keep updated
.

NorthEastJeep.org
#658/100 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited
Jp90Talon is offline  
post #1818 of 1825 Old 11-23-2015, 04:48 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler
 
Rubi4MyMrs's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trails of
Posts: 3,685
As you have probably already read, keep you old sensor. The Crown & Dorman sensors are know to fail (usually P0344) & popping the old OEM one in fixes this. Some don't wait & put it in the new OPDA from day one.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline  
 
post #1819 of 1825 Old 11-22-2016, 09:48 AM
martinfan
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 96
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp90Talon View Post
Just wanted to give an update. I posted in this thread about 5 years ago when my 05 Rubihara had an OPDA failure at around 44k miles but it has long been buried. As you can see in the pics the gear actually shattered and dropped into the oil pan. (yes I lost all oil pressure).






Had it towed home and a new MOPAR opda installed. (doorman and Crown hadn't yet started selling replacement parts yet and Mopar was the only option). Havent had any issues and have about 76k miles on it. However over the past week sporadically I have started having an issue where its runs and drives great but sometimes when I turn it off and go to restart it I get a odd clicking noise from the dash and the gauges go nuts. Installed a new starter last year and battery is good so pretty sure I can rule those out. Just ordered a Crown opda replacement figuring it was a good idea to replace anyways and going to pull the old one as soon as it arrives. Hope the odd no start issue is as easy a fix as that and will keep updated
.
Any update? Mine is 05 Rubihara #596 Less than 48k miles. CEL popped last night p0344. I have had some slight screaming monkey noise seems to be cold weather related. Decided I was gonna pull the OPDA and check it until I saw yours, figure I would just replace or at least have one on hand when I remove. Read lots of info on recall E05 and opda failure, contacted Jeep they say mine was built in March 05 and is not covered. Coverage stopped January 05. Auto zone and Mopar no longer have this part? Found it at Napa be here tomorrow.
martinfan is offline  
post #1820 of 1825 Old 11-22-2016, 12:38 PM
ops5
Member
 
ops5's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinfan View Post

Any update? Mine is 05 Rubihara #596 Less than 48k miles. CEL popped last night p0344. I have had some slight screaming monkey noise seems to be cold weather related. Decided I was gonna pull the OPDA and check it until I saw yours, figure I would just replace or at least have one on hand when I remove. Read lots of info on recall E05 and opda failure, contacted Jeep they say mine was built in March 05 and is not covered. Coverage stopped January 05. Auto zone and Mopar no longer have this part? Found it at Napa be here tomorrow.
Which part did you order? A stock replacement or a Crown opda?
ops5 is offline  
post #1821 of 1825 Old 11-22-2016, 12:49 PM
Klawon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2
Hi , I'm having the same issues and know talking to Chrysler and they don't see nothing about the problem , is there any information that you can give me that Chrysler would need to make it easier Thx
Klawon is offline  
post #1822 of 1825 Old 11-22-2016, 09:34 PM
martinfan
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 96
Garage
Only one option from Napa. Should I look for another?
Any idea where to buy?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Roger
martinfan is offline  
post #1823 of 1825 Old 11-22-2016, 11:42 PM
ops5
Member
 
ops5's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinfan View Post
Only one option from Napa. Should I look for another?
Any idea where to buy?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
I don't know what version Napa is selling, you can double check. Quadratec looks to still be selling the Crown version, which I think most on here would recommend. That's what I installed in my Jeep.

Use the factory cable/sensor when you install it. I also coated the opda gear with assembly lube on the new unit before install.
ops5 is offline  
post #1824 of 1825 Old 11-23-2016, 07:12 AM
martinfan
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 96
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ops5 View Post
I don't know what version Napa is selling, you can double check. Quadratec looks to still be selling the Crown version, which I think most on here would recommend. That's what I installed in my Jeep.

Use the factory cable/sensor when you install it. I also coated the opda gear with assembly lube on the new unit before install.
Thanks, never considered Quadratec for this part. How many times have you changed? Mileage?
martinfan is offline  
post #1825 of 1825 Old 11-23-2016, 09:31 AM
ops5
Member
 
ops5's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinfan View Post
Thanks, never considered Quadratec for this part. How many times have you changed? Mileage?
I changed mine out from stock at around 50k or so I think. I have some photos somewhere in the big Opda thread. I had normal wear on mine, no noises. Haven't had any issues yet with the Crown unit, and hopefully I never will
ops5 is offline  
Reply

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
All jeep owners please read for better mpg jeepfreak_5 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 77 06-26-2012 05:20 PM
Have you really read your owners manual JohnRodriguez JK Wrangler Technical Forum 2 09-14-2008 08:25 PM
97 owners please read!!!!!! river rat TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 33 01-31-2007 06:38 PM
FL Jeep Owners, Please Read siennaspilt TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 11 01-24-2004 04:05 PM
soft top owners - must read DrEvil TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 12 10-20-2003 07:38 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome