Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 05-13-2010, 05:27 AM   #166
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Treme View Post
Anyone know what years of these things are the same? Like.... is an OPD out of a 2000 the same as one out of an 06? Or are they not interchangeable at all?

I need one, because mine is squealing really bad, BUT they are on national back-order with no guarantee of delivery until MAYBE late August.

My Jeep is not driveable in this condition, and this is unacceptable at this time of year.

I'm thinkin of goin with a used one for now, but need to know what years will fit in what other years.
They only used this type of Cam Sensor drive housing/gear on 2005 and 2006 TJs - it was intended to coordinate with the newer style engine computer that they switched to in 2005, so earlier units will not work.

Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2010, 05:33 AM   #167
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Anyone know what years of these things are the same? Like.... is an OPD out of a 2000 the same as one out of an 06? Or are they not interchangeable at all?

I need one, because mine is squealing really bad, BUT they are on national back-order with no guarantee of delivery until MAYBE late August.

My Jeep is not driveable in this condition, and this is unacceptable at this time of year.

I'm thinkin of goin with a used one for now, but need to know what years will fit in what other years.
Oh, by the way - if your dealer is willing to do it, there are a number of dealers here in the US that have one of these in stock. Your dealer can just use the "parts locate" feature in their parts system to see the parts, assuming it will show them US dealers as well as Canadian dealers. Even if it won't show them US dealers, I would have to think that a few dealers in Canada have one on the shelf...
Unread 05-13-2010, 05:51 AM   #168
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
Oh, by the way - if your dealer is willing to do it, there are a number of dealers here in the US that have one of these in stock. Your dealer can just use the "parts locate" feature in their parts system to see the parts, assuming it will show them US dealers as well as Canadian dealers. Even if it won't show them US dealers, I would have to think that a few dealers in Canada have one on the shelf...
My local dealer had to do this to find me a new cam sensor drive unit. There was only one dealer near Houston that had one. I asked the dealer why they were so scarce and he said the cannot keep them on the shelf.

FOG
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2010, 07:11 AM   #169
ElJaynocibuR

Quote:

EDIT Just saw that you are in Canada. Shipping may be more that I originally thought. pm me.

I think the 05s and 06's were unique and are not interchangable. I have one that has 65k miles on it and only needs a new gear. It's not squealing. Send me $40 and I'll ship it to you.
Unread 05-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #170
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My old one was just fine except it needs a new gear. Do you have a part number for just the new gear? I would like to put a new gear on my old one for a spare.

FOG
Unread 05-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #171
remery829
2007 JK Wrangler 

subscribing.... mine just started doing a weird idle jumping from about 900 rpm to 1600 after coming to a stop

[CENTER][B]vvvthis is what they don't tell you about LCGvvv[/B][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=]...I went with the lcg method but its never ending be because once you fix one thing something else breaks or needs upgrading...[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][B][U][COLOR="yellow"]SUPPORT OUR TROOPS[/COLOR][/U][/B][/CENTER]
[URL="http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/login.php?do=logout&logouthash=1283292679-9a7df2f9eebd07dc48f628e4fb5cbc1881910fd4"]City Profile[/URL]
remery829 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2010, 09:09 PM   #172
ElJaynocibuR

Quote:
Originally Posted by remery829 View Post
subscribing.... mine just started doing a weird idle jumping from about 900 rpm to 1600 after coming to a stop

Good luck...Try the easy fixes first. I would start by taking the throttle body off and cleaning the hell out of it. Make sure you clean the IAC really good.
Unread 06-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #173
okie1

First thanks to all the folks who contribute thier knowledge here. I have an '05 with 35k body build date 4/05 haven't checked the engine build date or # on the assembly. Having no issues now except for the extreme paranoid feeling every time I drive it now. I am assuming that mine is bad (hopefully not too bad). As the second owner I assume I have no recourse as to warranty, my thought is to locate a new assy. from the dealer and replace the old one myself, but it sounds as though I will not be able to "time" it correctly. Seems I will have to take it to the stealer to have that done. If all this seems right then would I be able to line it up close enough to get it started and limp it to the dealer to have it timed or just take it there to begin with.
okie1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #174
ElJaynocibuR

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1 View Post
First thanks to all the folks who contribute thier knowledge here. I have an '05 with 35k body build date 4/05 haven't checked the engine build date or # on the assembly. Having no issues now except for the extreme paranoid feeling every time I drive it now. I am assuming that mine is bad (hopefully not too bad). As the second owner I assume I have no recourse as to warranty, my thought is to locate a new assy. from the dealer and replace the old one myself, but it sounds as though I will not be able to "time" it correctly. Seems I will have to take it to the stealer to have that done. If all this seems right then would I be able to line it up close enough to get it started and limp it to the dealer to have it timed or just take it there to begin with.

I would just take it to the stealership and let them check it. That way they can put it back correctly the 1st time. You'll have to have them diagnose it if it's bad anyway, if you want Chrysler to pay for it.
Unread 06-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #175
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJaynocibuR View Post
I would just take it to the stealership and let them check it. That way they can put it back correctly the 1st time. You'll have to have them diagnose it if it's bad anyway, if you want Chrysler to pay for it.
If his Jeep is a 05 Chrysler isn't going to pay for it because this isn't a recall its TSB only.

Unless you bough the extended warranty from Chrysler they are not going to cover it. I've heard of a small few that have gotten theirs covered only because the dealership decided to step up and do the right thing (very rare).

Since yours is out of warranty I would ask around and find a really good honest dealership even if you have to drive a good bit to get it there.

That being said, I just had to check mine and it ended up being bad so I had to replace it also. I did the work myself and grand total was $130.00

The timing isn't an issue if you use a timing pin. The way to do this is take the two torx screws off the cover of your current CPS. In the bottom left part of the bowl there is hole in the bottle and there is a hole in the wheel that turns. All you have to do is slowly turn the engine (either via the crank pulley or if its a standard slowly push it like I did) until the hole in the wheel lines up with the hole in the bottom up the cup.

Once they are lined up stick allen wrench through them lock them in place. You can now unbolt the CPS assembly and pull it loose. You can inspect the CPS gear and reinsert it back into the block and the timing will stay the same.

Also if you decide you need a new CPS assembly the new ones come with a timing pin installed. So all you need to do is just stick it in (along with a new gasket) and tighten down the holder screw and then just pull the timing pin out your ready to run.

IF you use the timing pin hole the only way to screw up the timing is by moving the engine while you have the CPS housing removed.

FOG
Unread 06-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #176
okie1

thanks for the quick replies folks, Fog did you get that part from the dealer and if so did you have any problem with availability? Really appreciate the info on the timing pin, I believe I can do this job myself now. Thanks again
okie1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #177
ElJaynocibuR

FOG,
Have you read any of this thread? My 06 had 65k miles when Chrysler paid around $1000 to replace the camshaft synchronizer and the canshaft. I was waaay out of warranty. A couple of calls to chrysler and 2 visits to the dealership is all took to get them to PAY for the TSB.

just remember there are 2 gears there. If the one on the camshaft synchronizer is going bad, get a flashlight and look at the gear on the cam itself.
Unread 06-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #178
meatlord
Animals taste good

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remery829 View Post
Let me know how your diagnosis goes, right now I have the same Idle issue. 52xxx miles, Mfr date 12/04, Camshaft Position Sensor Date Code Label is 4326, "if your numbers are between 4297 and 4364 the TSB EO5R will pertain to you."

Looks like Im calling the dealer on monday. Anyone have advice on how to deal with dealer/chrysler? Also what kind of internal damage are we actually dealing with?
Unread 06-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #179
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatlord View Post
what kind of internal damage are we actually dealing with?
Depends on a lot of factors...if you are lucky, the only damage will be on the cam sensor drive gear. If it has progressed further, the camshaft will have some damage to the helical gear that drives the cam sensor. Much further than that, and the cam sensor drive gear can become so worn/stripped that cam sensor/oil pump drive stops turning (engine will keep running as long as it crank position signal) and therefore the oil pump stops turning...you can guess what happens from there.

The other concern I have is even if the wear is localized to cam sensor gear and/or the camshaft, the wear process that has been occuring up to the point it is discovered/repaired is putting small metal particles into the oil and possibly into the engine bearings if they are small enough to get through the filter.
Unread 06-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #180
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccafire View Post
I circled the Camshaft Position Sensor Date Code Label. On the second row of numbers the first 4 numbers are the date code. if your numbers are between 4297 and 4364 the TSB EO5R will pertain to you. If your numbers are lower than 4297 or higher than 4364 you will not need replacement. This is according to Alldata that I have for my 2005 TJ. You may not have to remove it to see the label. Try using a small mirror to read it.

I got the P0016 and P0344 codes today with limp mode. I checked my date code and it is 4308. How do I get to the Alldata that you have? I am waiting for Chrysler to call me back now. I need all the ammo I can get!

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.