Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 114 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1696 of 1818 Old 03-21-2012, 04:50 PM
CoRubicon
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pueblo
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmachine25 View Post
Found a place with some new opda's. Had 8 down to 5. For 05-06.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260964187439...84.m1497.l2649
price is 143
You can get them cheaper from dodge-wholesale.com

http://dodge-wholesale.com/catalog/p...ucts_id=221662

And even cheaper than that price if you call and talk to Mike V. in parts, ask for the Jeep Club discount. Thanks to flying bosun for the hook up.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...l#post13137394

Wishing your son the best.

Jim

CoRubicon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1697 of 1818 Old 03-29-2012, 08:31 PM
mudmachine25
Junior Member
 
mudmachine25's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cypress Creek
Posts: 82
Here is picks of my gear.
Attached Thumbnails
166.jpg   167.jpg   168.jpg  
mudmachine25 is offline  
post #1698 of 1818 Old 03-29-2012, 08:43 PM
flying_bosun
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: 34*24'N, 119*42'W
Posts: 3,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmachine25
Here is picks of my gear.
Looks rather similar to my original unit. Any shots of the cam gear, perhaps?

Gear-Calculator Stu Can Help You Part Names and Numbers Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Paul
“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul
"Did you exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"
flying_bosun is offline  
post #1699 of 1818 Old 03-29-2012, 10:28 PM
mudmachine25
Junior Member
 
mudmachine25's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cypress Creek
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Looks rather similar to my original unit. Any shots of the cam gear, perhaps?
No. Couldnt get pics of cam. From studying what i seen, I think it may be possible the oil pump is some of the cause of the problem. The end of the shaft that turns the oil pump had a wear mark like the oil pump is dragging and causing strain on the end of the shaft and causing drag on shaft which is causing wear on the gear.
mudmachine25 is offline  
post #1700 of 1818 Old 03-30-2012, 04:17 AM
BioTex
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Alpine, Tx.
Posts: 3,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmachine25 View Post
No. Couldnt get pics of cam. From studying what i seen, I think it may be possible the oil pump is some of the cause of the problem. The end of the shaft that turns the oil pump had a wear mark like the oil pump is dragging and causing strain on the end of the shaft and causing drag on shaft which is causing wear on the gear.
That's a very interesting theory! I too noticed a bit of wear on the drive side of the shaft where it fits into the pump slot. Might be considered normal wear IDK, but it is evident.

My new OPDA arrived today, so will install it, and if I still get the ticking, will most likely drop the pan.

'85 CJ7, BDS 4" lift, 1" Body lift, 33x12.5, Shrockworks Sliders, 304 V8 with RV cam., T-176, D300, Dana 30, AMC 20.
1986 CJ10-A SD-33 Diesel/727/np208
1971 800B with 345/T-19
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline  
post #1701 of 1818 Old 03-30-2012, 06:17 AM
doublins
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Crofton
Posts: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
That's a very interesting theory! I too noticed a bit of wear on the drive side of the shaft where it fits into the pump slot. Might be considered normal wear IDK, but it is evident.

My new OPDA arrived today, so will install it, and if I still get the ticking, will most likely drop the pan.
The wear on the oil pump shaft is normal and every distributor or opda you pull out of any 4.0 I6 from YJs up through your year will show it- unless you're running an HV pump, the pump is not the cause of your issues.

98 TJ Street Sleeper- 408ci Stroked Magnum V8

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...rings-1516649/
doublins is offline  
post #1702 of 1818 Old 04-01-2012, 07:57 PM
czechsky
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 88
Is there a video of a new OPDA install showing the turning of the crank to tdc etc buried somewhere in this or any other thread that someone can direct me to? I am that kind of amatuer that prefers a visual when doing something the first time. Thanks.
czechsky is offline  
post #1703 of 1818 Old 04-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler
 
Rubi4MyMrs's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trails of
Posts: 3,247
Described here mostly on post 5 & photos further down.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/op...-help-1347545/
You don’t have to pull the #1 plug as described there. When you line the small hole in the wheel with the hole in the bottom of the housing you will be on TDC #1.

There is some video on the long first page of the main OPDA thread & it is worth reading that page. It doesn’t show the TDC method but relies on marking the wheel. Either way will work.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/
Rubi4MyMrs is offline  
post #1704 of 1818 Old 04-02-2012, 09:35 PM
czechsky
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 88
Exactly what i needed, even if it isn't a video. Thanks a million!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
Described here mostly on post 5 & photos further down.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/op...-help-1347545/
You don’t have to pull the #1 plug as described there. When you line the small hole in the wheel with the hole in the bottom of the housing you will be on TDC #1.

There is some video on the long first page of the main OPDA thread & it is worth reading that page. It doesn’t show the TDC method but relies on marking the wheel. Either way will work.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/
czechsky is offline  
post #1705 of 1818 Old 04-03-2012, 12:38 AM
lucky06
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Franklin
Posts: 9
This is great info.
lucky06 is offline  
post #1706 of 1818 Old 06-07-2012, 09:07 AM
2006X
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Nederland
Posts: 2
This thread has helped me alot with my 06 same problem as everyone else. It is at dealership now waiting to see what Chrysler
is going to do about it i only have 28k miles where on the motor can i find the build date
2006X is offline  
post #1707 of 1818 Old 06-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Fusco
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hope
Posts: 384
1% of me says dump it for a newer Jeep.

99% of me loves my TJ too much to toss her away.

Driving it until warranty is up and i'll toss in a 4bt or V8.

I could never drive the Super Plastic JKs

2006 Jeep TJ Rubicon Impact Orange
Fusco is offline  
post #1708 of 1818 Old 06-07-2012, 02:35 PM
2006X
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Nederland
Posts: 2
Just heard from jeep. Dealership told jeep OPDA was not the problem. So i guess no help coming from jeep
Great!
2006X is offline  
post #1709 of 1818 Old 10-24-2012, 08:20 PM
nsummers82
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Avon Lake
Posts: 24
So, I have been dealing with this terrible squealing for the past two days and found out where it is coming from. The same as everyone else. I can't seem to get the cover off to check the gears for wear, but I assume that's the issue. Should I park it until I can get it to the dealership? I'll have to check on the build date to see if its part of the TSB...
nsummers82 is offline  
post #1710 of 1818 Old 10-25-2012, 04:04 AM
flying_bosun
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: 34*24'N, 119*42'W
Posts: 3,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006X
Just heard from jeep. Dealership told jeep OPDA was not the problem. So i guess no help coming from jeep
Great!
The dealership told Jeep/Chrysler that your OPDA was not the problem or the Jeep dealership told you that it wasn't the problem? It's easy to self-diagnose and if it is bad, then you might try a different dealership. Y'all have read the first 10-12 as well as the more recent posts in the willydigger thread, right? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsummers82
. Should I park it until I can get it to the dealership? I'll have to check on the build date to see if its part of the TSB...
Yes, stop running it (it'll eat your cam) and the build date and tsb are irrelevant.

Gear-Calculator Stu Can Help You Part Names and Numbers Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Paul
“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul
"Did you exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"
flying_bosun is offline  
Reply

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
All jeep owners please read for better mpg jeepfreak_5 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 77 06-26-2012 04:20 PM
Have you really read your owners manual JohnRodriguez JK Wrangler Technical Forum 2 09-14-2008 07:25 PM
97 owners please read!!!!!! river rat TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 33 01-31-2007 05:38 PM
FL Jeep Owners, Please Read siennaspilt TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 11 01-24-2004 03:05 PM
soft top owners - must read DrEvil TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 12 10-20-2003 06:38 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome