Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 113 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 02-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #1681
26679cj5
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
I had to sand mine down with emery paper. Had to remove quite a bit.
How do you make sure to sand it evenly around the entire thing?

26679cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #1682
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well how much are you talking? IIRC I had to remove about .015 to get mine to go in the hole. I just held the emery paper in one hand and spun the OPDA with the other hand and kept trying it untill it fit.

It's been in there for about 10,000 miles now and is ok so far.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #1683
\\WK//
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I pulled my OPDA tonight and it appears to be worn. Experts please chime in and let me know what you think my next steps should be. I'm the 3rd owner, so I don't really know the history with it, but it has about 64K on it.
image-1625222301.jpg   image-2971386900.jpg   image-901429440.jpg   image-625885389.jpg  
\\WK// is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #1684
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by \\WK//
I pulled my OPDA tonight and it appears to be worn. Experts please chime in and let me know what you think my next steps should be. I'm the 3rd owner, so I don't really know the history with it, but it has about 64K on it.
Not claiming to be an "expert", but how did the shaft spin? Perfectly smooth or less than? Punch out the roll pin to inspect the upper bushing area. If it spins freely and the upper bushing area looks ok, you could reinstall it an run it till it or your cam dies, them rebuild the top end. If its binding at all, you should replace it (and I'd say use the old gear on the new OPDA 'cuz the new gear I believe will accelerate cam gear wear).
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #1685
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by \\WK// View Post
Mine began to fail at 60K. I had binding. Like Bosun said, check to see how well it spins. This is the issue the FogMod will address. The wear is another issue that at this point has no hard and fast answer. I would suggest you FogMod this unit or buy a new one and FogMod it. Change your oil to a higher ZDDP variant and you should be in good shape for a while. At this point (in my OPDA adventures) I'm a little less concerned about gear wear and a little more concerned about preventing the shaft from binding.
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #1686
mudmachine25

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like i will be having to get mine done. Took it out today and gears in bad shape. Forgot to take picture. My son is having open heart surgery Thursday so a lot on my mind. Will take it out again when I get back home and things settle down. Called Chrysler and told them what I found. Will bring to a dealer when I get a chance and let them look at it. Think mine has done quit a bit of damage. Jeep running stupid, sounds like monkeys under valve cover with ball pin hammers. Keep getting cylinder number 5 miss fire and multiple cylinder miss fire on the codes. Only 32,000 miles. Will see what Chrysler rep say when they call tomorrow. Has anyone had there oil pressure get stupid high than drop real low?
mudmachine25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #1687
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you're talking about the factory oil pressure gauge, all it tells you is that you have at least 6 psi. It's not a real pressure gauge, the computer looks for a switch to close and then moves the needle to the middle position.
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #1688
aRedRocker
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Prayers for your Son Mudmachine.
aRedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #1689
mudmachine25

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aRedRocker View Post
Thanks
Unread 03-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #1690
Black05Rubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aRedRocker View Post
Fact

10 chars

Member of [B]Black Jeep Society[/B]
Black05Rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #1691
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmachine25
Looks like i will be having to get mine done. Took it out today and gears in bad shape. Forgot to take picture. My son is having open heart surgery Thursday so a lot on my mind. Will take it out again when I get back home and things settle down. Called Chrysler and told them what I found. Will bring to a dealer when I get a chance and let them look at it. Think mine has done quit a bit of damage. Jeep running stupid, sounds like monkeys under valve cover with ball pin hammers. Keep getting cylinder number 5 miss fire and multiple cylinder miss fire on the codes. Only 32,000 miles. Will see what Chrysler rep say when they call tomorrow. Has anyone had there oil pressure get stupid high than drop real low?
God bless your son.

Where are you located?
Unread 03-21-2012, 05:32 AM   #1692
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmachine25 View Post
Best wishes for your son!

Please report back what Chrysler says.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #1693
Peterpsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Please add my name to the list wishing your son the best.

Pete.
Peterpsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #1694
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Makes OPDA problems look small, doesn't it? Hope all goes well for your son tomorrow.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #1695
mudmachine25

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Found some new opda's

Found a place with some new opda's. Had 8 down to 5. For 05-06.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260964187439...84.m1497.l2649
price is 143

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.