Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 112 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 08-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #1666
Ditch55

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
I can't be specific, nor name my sources right now, but I've had a couple of conversations with people "connected" with Mopar and our problem has been put on a back-burner. They have a major problem that they can't figure out so we will likely not be solved corporate any time soon. As soon as I can, I will provide more. The only other thing I can say now is DO NOT BUY ANYTHING WITH A PENTASTAR ENGINE.
WOW....I wonder what now?

Ditch55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #1667
DocMojave
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch55 View Post
WOW....I wonder what now?
Auto Trader
Unread 08-08-2011, 05:11 AM   #1668
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
I can't be specific, nor name my sources right now, but I've had a couple of conversations with people "connected" with Mopar and our problem has been put on a back-burner.
Well isn't that all good news.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 05:48 AM   #1669
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I can't be specific, nor name my sources right now, but I've had a couple of conversations with people "connected" with Mopar and our problem has been put on a back-burner. flying bosun

When was it on the "front burner" ?
Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #1670
90FORDF150
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun

I can't be specific, nor name my sources right now, but I've had a couple of conversations with people "connected" with Mopar and our problem has been put on a back-burner. They have a major problem that they can't figure out so we will likely not be solved corporate any time soon. As soon as I can, I will provide more. The only other thing I can say now is DO NOT BUY ANYTHING WITH A PENTASTAR ENGINE.
Can you provide any more specifics on the Pentastar problem now?
90FORDF150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #1671
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90FORDF150

Can you provide any more specifics on the Pentastar problem now?
Yes, I can. I actually posted the following several days ago in a Pentastar specific thread and didn't mean to leave folks in this thread hanging:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun

Sorry for the delay, but for a variety of reasons I couldn't reveal what I heard until now. This is what was told to me in private conversations and I have zero first hand knowledge, but I think it worth sharing. From two Chrysler techs and a Mopar/Chrysler engineer I have heard that "there is a problem" with the Pentastar. Many of the those that went into the public market are now coming back having lost the #2 cylinder. There is little regularity to the failure; some suck a valve, some throw a rod, and in others the cylinder just fries, but it's always #2, and nobody can say why. They are working very hard to figure it out and, I would imagine, have pulled most available engineering resources to resolve the issue(s). As many (millions?) of new vehicles are set to be recipients of this "innovative" new power-plant, this could be a devastating blow to the auto group, and, as you can imagine, they have been doing everything imaginable to keep this information under wraps. Again, this is only what was told to me in private conversations and I have zero first hand knowledge. To protect my sources I will not, under any circumstance, reveal who they are, nor any other potentially identifying information, so don't ask. Take this for what it is; heresy from an anonymous internet troll, perhaps, but I have nothing to gain by posting this, so consider yourselves warned.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #1672
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

sweet. just what I needed to hear.
Brainwashed2566 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #1673
Noshtzy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I picked up an 06 LJ Rubicon about three weeks ago and have been chasing down an engine tick.

Thanks to this thread I've located it: the OPDA.

It's definitely banging around, and can definitely be felt when a little gas is given with my hand on the cover.

My build date is March 2006.

I'm going to probably have the dealer check it out first. I have 43000 miles and am the second owner so I doubt they'll do anything for me, but it's worth a try.
Noshtzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #1674
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noshtzy View Post
I picked up an 06 LJ Rubicon about three weeks ago and have been chasing down an engine tick.

It's definitely banging around, and can definitely be felt when a little gas is given with my hand on the cover.

I'm going to probably have the dealer check it out first. I have 43000 miles and am the second owner so I doubt they'll do anything for me, but it's worth a try.
All the info you need is here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/
Unread 09-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #1675
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the club. Good club, LJ Rubi, bad club OPDA problems. I am also in both clubs. Good luck at the dealer. Guys have had mixed results there. Getting a sympathetic service writer/manager seems to be the key. Most will deny knowing of this problem & some don't, I suppose. Before going in besides this thread, check out http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/2005-06-jeep-opda_cps_distributor-failure-1144202/index139.html#post12155932 . That is probably the last page. Go to the first page & you will see a lot of information including how to modify the OPDA to get lubrication to the top bushing. At least the dealer won't be able to BS you. Good luck. Don't let the OPDA discorage you, you have the most capable jeep out there.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #1676
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noshtzy View Post

Congrats on the LJ and be glad you found out before it's too late.

Not to discourage you, but the dealer will likely have no clue about this issue and will simply take your money to inspect it without offering a solution (because as far as we know, there isn't one yet.)

On the other hand, when mine failed and trashed the cam, I contacted the service writer at the local dealer, explained the problem in detail, and then paid them to inspect it and (more specifically) the cam gear. With their inspection and with the aid of the education about the OPDA problem that I provided him and the mechanic he went to bat for me against Chrysler. They eventually paid for a large percentage of the top-end rebuild that I needed, even though I am the second owner and well beyond the warranty period.

Best advice is to read here 2005-06-jeep-opda_cps_distributor-failure(at least the first 11 sections) and proceed from there.

Feel free to PM if you have any Qs about how I got results from Chrysler.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #1677
Face
2005 LJ Wrangler 

subscribed. I lost oil pressure the other day while on the trails but thought it was simply the angle I was at...may not have been.
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #1678
2006_Rubi_LJ

Help Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJaynocibuR View Post
I had 65k miles when they fixed mine
Hello,
I'm having the same issue with my 06 Rubi. Can you share with me your procedure on how you dealt with Chrysler and Jeep. Which dealership and service manager did you have do the work.

Thank you,
Steve
2006_Rubi_LJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #1679
26679cj5
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

My engine is from an 04 grand cherokee and only has about 70,000 on it. I have been getting the OPDA ticking which I can feel with my hand on it. My mechanic was going to switch it out for me today,but the Dorman version that we tried was so far off from fitting,that he said there was no point in trying to sand it down to fit. We will try another unit tomorrow,and if it doesn't fit, I will just order the Mopar one.
26679cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #1680
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26679cj5 View Post
the Dorman version that we tried was so far off from fitting,that he said there was no point in trying to sand it down to fit. We will try another unit tomorrow,and if it doesn't fit, I will just order the Mopar one.
I had to sand mine down with emery paper. Had to remove quite a bit.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.