Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 111 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 07-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #1651
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMojave View Post
That's what I thought. The thread title really needs to be updated.
The title seems fine to me, they paid for my cam gear change and half the price of a new OPDA with install. You need to contact Jeep, not a dealer though, or the ball won't start to roll.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #1652
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

You need to go to a dealer AND contact Jeep. They were going to replace my OPDA, camshaft, lifters and e retrying relating to it, for free on my 05 after I went around and around with them for three days straight, and they realized I had too much evidence against them and wast going away.

Fortunately for them my Jeep got totaled by a drunk driver, before they got the parts in.

My new 06 LJs OPDA and cam looked good enough that I didn't care to hassle with them.

In my case on my 05 that was totaled, they had in the system that the e05 recall was performed on my Jeep, but after inspecting the OPDA we found that the tech never actually did it.

After working at a dealer (GM) for almost a decade, I can tell you this type of thing happened pretty much daily.

One tech there was fired literally three times befe they had enough. He had an entire drawer of a snapon tool box full of 3.1 liter V6 intake gaskets. He would tighten the intake down and spray the motor with degreaser and power was it then wait a couple of hours to turn in the ticket.

Not that I think it would have helped make my OPDA live, but it couldn't have hurt.
Unread 07-09-2011, 11:39 PM   #1653
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post
OK, my 05' Unlimited has a build date of 10/04 and I called up a Jeep dealership and they punched in my VIN # and said the E05 recall does not apply to me at all. DOes this mean I have the old style OPDA with the "oil groove" in the shaft?

FWIW my 4.0L engine has 89k on the odometer, I pulled the head, the lifters and camshaft look brand new still, no signs of wear anywhere, but I have yet to pull the OPDA............
How long have you owned your TJ & with little cam/lifter wear, what oil have you been using?

I’m not sure the “famous” E05 was ever an actual recall. I’ve only seen it referred to as a TSB. Either way it only involves the gear. It has nothing to do with the lack of top bushing lubrication. It only involved these vehicles: “This notification applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 4.0L eligible ("S" in the 8th VIN position) and an engine build code between 902944 (October 20, 2004) and 900325 (February 1, 2005).” I don’t know where you find the engine build date. I’ve heard it is on the valve cover but I can’t find any such numbers on mine. I have a manufacture date of 1/05 & had the E05 done on mine. The replacement gear has 26,000 miles & very uneven wear. The one benefit I got from the E05 is that the tech lubed the shaft/bushing before reassembly. As a result, there was still an oil film & little bushing wear when I pulled mine a couple months ago.
Rubi4MyMrs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #1654
FarFire70
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The engine build date is on a tag on the passenger side near cylinder 1 & 2. It's 3 digits, 2 letters, and 2 digits. The first digit is the year, second & third digit is the month, 2 letters should by MX for the 4.0L then last 2 digits are the day.

Mine is 501MX19 so Jan, 19 2005 for me. Yup E05 applies to mine and my OPDA went and took the cam with it.
1.jpg  

2005 Wrangler Sport, 4.0L, 6spd
2" BB, JKS 1.25" BL & MML, M/T MTZ 33x12.50R15
HP D30: Aussie Locker, D44: Eaton Elocker
FarFire70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #1655
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK, I took out the OPDA and took some pics, really need opinions on this:

The OPDA shaft looks fine, its got some scoring, but you can barely feel it when you run your hand over it. The gear itself on the shaft though, looks worn. The camshaft itself in the engine looks "OK" its got a bit of wear showing, but its nowhere near as bad as the gear on the OPDA shaft. The engine has 87k on it, I already sent the head out for a cleaning/valvejob/resurfacing.....which is gonna cost me around $250. So the question is, what should I do about the OPDA? Pics below. Also, based on honest recommendations where is the cheapest place to pick the needed parts up FAST? I get the head back on Wed., like to have the engine buttoned up by friday the latest. Thanks in advance for helping out a new Jeep enthusiast!

GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #1656
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFire70 View Post
The engine build date is on a tag on the passenger side near cylinder 1 & 2. It's 3 digits, 2 letters, and 2 digits. The first digit is the year, second & third digit is the month, 2 letters should by MX for the 4.0L then last 2 digits are the day.

Mine is 501MX19 so Jan, 19 2005 for me. Yup E05 applies to mine and my OPDA went and took the cam with it.
Thanks, I see mine is Jan 12, 2005. I can't understand the TSB build codes of 902944 & 900325.
Unread 08-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #1657
DocMojave
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm sorry to be stupid about this, whats the easiest way to see these numbers, from the top in or the bottom... Ive been jamming my camera in the area described hoping to see it in a picture but Im not having much luck. Thanks

EDIT: Never mind I see it, I just needed more light. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFire70 View Post

Unread 08-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #1658
coach-mike
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just read this thread and I believe in holding people accountable for their actions. Has anyone considered a jeep event in front of a corporate Jeep office. Calling Fox, cnn, msnbc etc and make a real big stink out of it until all 2005 and 2006 wranglers are covered.

I protested in front of Circuit city years ago and it took three days to get a new $6000 TV.

Protesting works, protesting in numbers that this and other forums could turn out could be historic. I can show off my new FAT MTR's on Fox news too.
Unread 08-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #1659
DocMojave
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Mine is 603MX21 so I hope Ill be okay. My Jeep is an 06, I wondering if its odd to have the same year on the motor build?
Unread 08-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #1660
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMojave View Post
Mine is 603MX21 so I hope Ill be okay. My Jeep is an 06, I wondering if its odd to have the same year on the motor build?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
How long have you owned your TJ & with little cam/lifter wear, what oil have you been using?

I’m not sure the “famous” E05 was ever an actual recall. I’ve only seen it referred to as a TSB. Either way it only involves the gear. It has nothing to do with the lack of top bushing lubrication. It only involved these vehicles: “This notification applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 4.0L eligible ("S" in the 8th VIN position) and an engine build code between 902944 (October 20, 2004) and 900325 (February 1, 2005).” I don’t know where you find the engine build date. I’ve heard it is on the valve cover but I can’t find any such numbers on mine. I have a manufacture date of 1/05 & had the E05 done on mine. The replacement gear has 26,000 miles & very uneven wear. The one benefit I got from the E05 is that the tech lubed the shaft/bushing before reassembly. As a result, there was still an oil film & little bushing wear when I pulled mine a couple months ago.
Trust me, the build date has NOTHING to do with the OPDA problem! EVERY '05 & '06 has the same OPDA design & potential for failure. Not all are but almost every one that inspects theirs finds some "abnormal" wear. The E05 TSB was for bad gears & is completely separate from this issue. Go to the other thread & see that there are cases of total failure without warning. Go to:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/
The first page explains everything.
Unread 08-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #1661
DocMojave
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
Trust me, the build date has NOTHING to do with the OPDA problem! EVERY '05 & '06 has the same OPDA design & potential for failure. Not all are but almost every one that inspects theirs finds some "abnormal" wear. The E05 TSB was for bad gears & is completely separate from this issue. Go to the other thread & see that there are cases of total failure without warning. Go to:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/tj-wr...r-failure.html

The first page explains everything.
So there is no tried & true solution for these issues?
Unread 08-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #1662
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMojave

So there is no tried & true solution for these issues?
Nope. FOGMod and regular inspection. Have a spare OPDA on hand and know how to swap it when the time arises.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #1663
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So whats up with the update from Chrysler? When they buying us new OPDA's? Wasnt there supposed to be some word before the end of July? Its August now, lol.
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #1664
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post
So whats up with the update from Chrysler? When they buying us new OPDA's? Wasnt there supposed to be some word before the end of July? Its August now, lol.
Don't hold your breath, many of us have been waiting for the redesigned ICV in the gas tank that was to be out in Feb. No word yet.

Does your TJ’s gas tank overflow at the pump? SUBMIT COMPLAINT HERE!

Check this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/...recall-974337/
Unread 08-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #1665
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42
I can't be specific, nor name my sources right now, but I've had a couple of conversations with people "connected" with Mopar and our problem has been put on a back-burner. They have a major problem that they can't figure out so we will likely not be solved corporate any time soon. As soon as I can, I will provide more. The only other thing I can say now is DO NOT BUY ANYTHING WITH A PENTASTAR ENGINE.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.