Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 111 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1651 of 1818 Old 07-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Jeffro06
Registered User
 
Jeffro06's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Total
Posts: 9,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMojave View Post
That's what I thought. The thread title really needs to be updated.
The title seems fine to me, they paid for my cam gear change and half the price of a new OPDA with install. You need to contact Jeep, not a dealer though, or the ball won't start to roll.

Jeffro06 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1652 of 1818 Old 07-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Heath
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Shreveport
Posts: 2,641
You need to go to a dealer AND contact Jeep. They were going to replace my OPDA, camshaft, lifters and e retrying relating to it, for free on my 05 after I went around and around with them for three days straight, and they realized I had too much evidence against them and wast going away.


Fortunately for them my Jeep got totaled by a drunk driver, before they got the parts in.

My new 06 LJs OPDA and cam looked good enough that I didn't care to hassle with them.

In my case on my 05 that was totaled, they had in the system that the e05 recall was performed on my Jeep, but after inspecting the OPDA we found that the tech never actually did it.

After working at a dealer (GM) for almost a decade, I can tell you this type of thing happened pretty much daily.

One tech there was fired literally three times befe they had enough. He had an entire drawer of a snapon tool box full of 3.1 liter V6 intake gaskets. He would tighten the intake down and spray the motor with degreaser and power was it then wait a couple of hours to turn in the ticket.

Not that I think it would have helped make my OPDA live, but it couldn't have hurt.

2013 JKU Rubicon
Heath is offline  
post #1653 of 1818 Old 07-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler
 
Rubi4MyMrs's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trails of
Posts: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post
OK, my 05' Unlimited has a build date of 10/04 and I called up a Jeep dealership and they punched in my VIN # and said the E05 recall does not apply to me at all. DOes this mean I have the old style OPDA with the "oil groove" in the shaft?

FWIW my 4.0L engine has 89k on the odometer, I pulled the head, the lifters and camshaft look brand new still, no signs of wear anywhere, but I have yet to pull the OPDA............
How long have you owned your TJ & with little cam/lifter wear, what oil have you been using?

I’m not sure the “famous” E05 was ever an actual recall. I’ve only seen it referred to as a TSB. Either way it only involves the gear. It has nothing to do with the lack of top bushing lubrication. It only involved these vehicles: “This notification applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 4.0L eligible ("S" in the 8th VIN position) and an engine build code between 902944 (October 20, 2004) and 900325 (February 1, 2005).” I don’t know where you find the engine build date. I’ve heard it is on the valve cover but I can’t find any such numbers on mine. I have a manufacture date of 1/05 & had the E05 done on mine. The replacement gear has 26,000 miles & very uneven wear. The one benefit I got from the E05 is that the tech lubed the shaft/bushing before reassembly. As a result, there was still an oil film & little bushing wear when I pulled mine a couple months ago.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline  
post #1654 of 1818 Old 07-10-2011, 09:17 AM
FarFire70
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 310
The engine build date is on a tag on the passenger side near cylinder 1 & 2. It's 3 digits, 2 letters, and 2 digits. The first digit is the year, second & third digit is the month, 2 letters should by MX for the 4.0L then last 2 digits are the day.

Mine is 501MX19 so Jan, 19 2005 for me. Yup E05 applies to mine and my OPDA went and took the cam with it.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  

Villanova Wildcat!

2005 Wrangler Sport, 4.0L, 6spd
2" BB, JKS 1.25" BL & MML, M/T MTZ 33x12.50R15
HP D30: Aussie Locker, D44: Eaton Elocker
FarFire70 is offline  
post #1655 of 1818 Old 07-10-2011, 10:06 AM
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nashua
Posts: 2,384
OK, I took out the OPDA and took some pics, really need opinions on this:

The OPDA shaft looks fine, its got some scoring, but you can barely feel it when you run your hand over it. The gear itself on the shaft though, looks worn. The camshaft itself in the engine looks "OK" its got a bit of wear showing, but its nowhere near as bad as the gear on the OPDA shaft. The engine has 87k on it, I already sent the head out for a cleaning/valvejob/resurfacing.....which is gonna cost me around $250. So the question is, what should I do about the OPDA? Pics below. Also, based on honest recommendations where is the cheapest place to pick the needed parts up FAST? I get the head back on Wed., like to have the engine buttoned up by friday the latest. Thanks in advance for helping out a new Jeep enthusiast!






GMBNT42 is offline  
post #1656 of 1818 Old 07-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler
 
Rubi4MyMrs's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trails of
Posts: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFire70 View Post
The engine build date is on a tag on the passenger side near cylinder 1 & 2. It's 3 digits, 2 letters, and 2 digits. The first digit is the year, second & third digit is the month, 2 letters should by MX for the 4.0L then last 2 digits are the day.

Mine is 501MX19 so Jan, 19 2005 for me. Yup E05 applies to mine and my OPDA went and took the cam with it.
Thanks, I see mine is Jan 12, 2005. I can't understand the TSB build codes of 902944 & 900325.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline  
post #1657 of 1818 Old 08-02-2011, 02:46 PM
DocMojave
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 317
I'm sorry to be stupid about this, whats the easiest way to see these numbers, from the top in or the bottom... Ive been jamming my camera in the area described hoping to see it in a picture but Im not having much luck. Thanks

EDIT: Never mind I see it, I just needed more light. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFire70 View Post
The engine build date is on a tag on the passenger side near cylinder 1 & 2. It's 3 digits, 2 letters, and 2 digits. The first digit is the year, second & third digit is the month, 2 letters should by MX for the 4.0L then last 2 digits are the day.

Mine is 501MX19 so Jan, 19 2005 for me. Yup E05 applies to mine and my OPDA went and took the cam with it.

Never Mistake Kindness for Weakness. What is desired in a man is kindness, And a poor man is better than a liar.
DocMojave is offline  
post #1658 of 1818 Old 08-02-2011, 03:10 PM
coach-mike
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Berea
Posts: 630
I just read this thread and I believe in holding people accountable for their actions. Has anyone considered a jeep event in front of a corporate Jeep office. Calling Fox, cnn, msnbc etc and make a real big stink out of it until all 2005 and 2006 wranglers are covered.

I protested in front of Circuit city years ago and it took three days to get a new $6000 TV.

Protesting works, protesting in numbers that this and other forums could turn out could be historic. I can show off my new FAT MTR's on Fox news too.

..
coach-mike is offline  
post #1659 of 1818 Old 08-02-2011, 03:29 PM
DocMojave
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 317
Mine is 603MX21 so I hope Ill be okay. My Jeep is an 06, I wondering if its odd to have the same year on the motor build?

Never Mistake Kindness for Weakness. What is desired in a man is kindness, And a poor man is better than a liar.
DocMojave is offline  
post #1660 of 1818 Old 08-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler
 
Rubi4MyMrs's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trails of
Posts: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMojave View Post
Mine is 603MX21 so I hope Ill be okay. My Jeep is an 06, I wondering if its odd to have the same year on the motor build?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
How long have you owned your TJ & with little cam/lifter wear, what oil have you been using?

I’m not sure the “famous” E05 was ever an actual recall. I’ve only seen it referred to as a TSB. Either way it only involves the gear. It has nothing to do with the lack of top bushing lubrication. It only involved these vehicles: “This notification applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 4.0L eligible ("S" in the 8th VIN position) and an engine build code between 902944 (October 20, 2004) and 900325 (February 1, 2005).” I don’t know where you find the engine build date. I’ve heard it is on the valve cover but I can’t find any such numbers on mine. I have a manufacture date of 1/05 & had the E05 done on mine. The replacement gear has 26,000 miles & very uneven wear. The one benefit I got from the E05 is that the tech lubed the shaft/bushing before reassembly. As a result, there was still an oil film & little bushing wear when I pulled mine a couple months ago.
Trust me, the build date has NOTHING to do with the OPDA problem! EVERY '05 & '06 has the same OPDA design & potential for failure. Not all are but almost every one that inspects theirs finds some "abnormal" wear. The E05 TSB was for bad gears & is completely separate from this issue. Go to the other thread & see that there are cases of total failure without warning. Go to:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/
The first page explains everything.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline  
post #1661 of 1818 Old 08-02-2011, 04:20 PM
DocMojave
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
Trust me, the build date has NOTHING to do with the OPDA problem! EVERY '05 & '06 has the same OPDA design & potential for failure. Not all are but almost every one that inspects theirs finds some "abnormal" wear. The E05 TSB was for bad gears & is completely separate from this issue. Go to the other thread & see that there are cases of total failure without warning. Go to:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/tj-wr...r-failure.html

The first page explains everything.
So there is no tried & true solution for these issues?

Never Mistake Kindness for Weakness. What is desired in a man is kindness, And a poor man is better than a liar.
DocMojave is offline  
post #1662 of 1818 Old 08-02-2011, 04:28 PM
flying_bosun
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: 34*24'N, 119*42'W
Posts: 3,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMojave

So there is no tried & true solution for these issues?
Nope. FOGMod and regular inspection. Have a spare OPDA on hand and know how to swap it when the time arises.

Gear-Calculator Stu Can Help You Part Names and Numbers Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Paul
“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul
"Did you exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"
flying_bosun is offline  
post #1663 of 1818 Old 08-02-2011, 05:09 PM
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nashua
Posts: 2,384
So whats up with the update from Chrysler? When they buying us new OPDA's? Wasnt there supposed to be some word before the end of July? Its August now, lol.
GMBNT42 is offline  
post #1664 of 1818 Old 08-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler
 
Rubi4MyMrs's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trails of
Posts: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post
So whats up with the update from Chrysler? When they buying us new OPDA's? Wasnt there supposed to be some word before the end of July? Its August now, lol.
Don't hold your breath, many of us have been waiting for the redesigned ICV in the gas tank that was to be out in Feb. No word yet.

Does your TJ’s gas tank overflow at the pump? SUBMIT COMPLAINT HERE!

Check this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/...recall-974337/
Rubi4MyMrs is offline  
post #1665 of 1818 Old 08-02-2011, 06:29 PM
flying_bosun
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: 34*24'N, 119*42'W
Posts: 3,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42
So whats up with the update from Chrysler? When they buying us new OPDA's? Wasnt there supposed to be some word before the end of July? Its August now, lol.
I can't be specific, nor name my sources right now, but I've had a couple of conversations with people "connected" with Mopar and our problem has been put on a back-burner. They have a major problem that they can't figure out so we will likely not be solved corporate any time soon. As soon as I can, I will provide more. The only other thing I can say now is DO NOT BUY ANYTHING WITH A PENTASTAR ENGINE.

Gear-Calculator Stu Can Help You Part Names and Numbers Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Paul
“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul
"Did you exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"
flying_bosun is offline  
Reply

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
All jeep owners please read for better mpg jeepfreak_5 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 77 06-26-2012 04:20 PM
Have you really read your owners manual JohnRodriguez JK Wrangler Technical Forum 2 09-14-2008 07:25 PM
97 owners please read!!!!!! river rat TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 33 01-31-2007 05:38 PM
FL Jeep Owners, Please Read siennaspilt TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 11 01-24-2004 03:05 PM
soft top owners - must read DrEvil TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 12 10-20-2003 06:38 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome