Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #151
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHound1 View Post
How do you unplug the plug ? Do you push the red clip in or push down on the bottom tab ?
you push the red clip up with your finger nail and squeese in a black plastic detent that is part of the plug. if you look carefully at the plug the detent is a catch that stops the plug from pulling apart. the red clip keeps it locked in together when it is pushed in place. hard to explain but if done correctly it comes apart very easy. if you have to force it you are not doing it correctly and are likely to break something

Unread 04-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #152
iceman8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Country1,

Good on ya' if on it's only the CPS that's bad. You don't want them tearing into your engine. I'd love to hear back from you after the new part is in and even perhaps after 1000 miles or so, if you could re-examine the new part and give us a report.
iceman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #153
Woodenya
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Iceman, yeah, I'll be paying close attention to the new CPS gear. I'll post back with an update.

Got a call this morning and was told the CPS housing that was on back order for another 2 weeks was going to be in next Tuesday. That's good news!
I'll be glad when all this is over....
'06 TJ [B]Rubi[/B] (Light Metalic Khaki) 6sp, Bought 3-10 w/6500 miles. 31 MTR's, UCF alum UHC T-case & engine skid w/ LoPro, Rokmen gas tank & steer gear skid, Ridler dif covers F/R, Warn 8274-50, Optima Yellow top, Pro Comp front 3/4" spacers, Currie 1" BL, Bomb Proof MML, Novak cable shifter, AGR Super Box 2, Warn rear bumper/tire carrier, Rubi locker mod/pumps moved to engine bay, OBA. Build to come...
Woodenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #154
FREEDOM1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I've been following this thread for some time now and check my block and found I was in the range for this issue. I was dreading to pull OPDG and see what sort of damage has happened.
So today I was going through my paperwork when I purchased my Jeep used, and to my suprize the dealer gave me a Coverage Report. It indicates that back in '05 recall E05 was completed and the OPDG was replaced. Just figured I'd post in case any of you also recieved one of these reports when you purchased your jeep.

¡¡¡¡ɹƎΛO ˥˥Oɹ SIH┴ p∀Ǝɹ ┴,N∀Ɔ ∩O⅄ ℲI

If you're going the speed of light and your turn your headlights on, what happens?
FREEDOM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #155
Fatherof2
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Hello All,

I have an LJ that was built within the dates mentioned above. I have called 2 dealerships, and tired to contact Chrysler. Nobody knows what I am talking about. My Jeep has 26K on it, and seems to run just fine. Can anyone give me some tips on how to get this taken care of?

Best,

David
Fatherof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #156
iceman8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The only way to be sure is to pull it yourself and look at the gear. You'll know right away if you are starting to have the problem. See the pics in this and other posts to compare yours to. If those dealers don't know what you are talking about...maybe you are not talking to the right person there. Or, they sell so few Jeeps they DONT know, or...they are giving you the canned answer until you show up with a problem they can see in living color.

It's not hard to check it yourself. However, if this is not possible for you, keep calling other Jeep dealers, maybe you will find one who can assist, even pull and inspect it for you. It will probably cost a couple hundred bucks but you'll get piece of mind I suppose. Me, I would want to be standing there and inspect the gear the moment it comes out of the engine. I hear stories of hungry dealers doing work that is not needed.

Best of luck.
iceman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #157
domano 68
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarak View Post
I just called and talked to the service department of the local Jeep dealer, and he said he found a recall for this problem- but my VIN wasn't included.

I'll be checking mine this weekend.
Can someone post the list of affected VIN#'s? This would answer a lot of questions for a lot of people.

I would like to know if all 4.0L Jeeps built within this time period are going to have problems with this at some time or was it a case of an unknown number of defective parts used during this build period therefore all built during this time period are suspect.

My 05 has 21,000 miles with no problems at all so far. Also my VIP summary (received from a dealership) does not mention a recall or any work of this type being done. Also, looked for the label with p/n and date code and mine does not have the label,as indicated here.
[QUOTE=ElJaynocibuR;9083257]
QUOTE]

Last edited by domano 68; 04-28-2010 at 09:37 PM..
domano 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 07:19 AM   #158
Jason D
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Vehicles aren't built in the order of their VIN's so you can't say the problem starts with one VIN and ends at another. To generate a list would require showing every single individual VIN. The best way to tell is by using the build dates listed in the first post.
Unread 04-30-2010, 01:17 AM   #159
fretout
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't read ALL the posting in this thread, but if you enter your VIN number at Jeep.com, does this recall item show up, or is this one of those "under-the-tabel" recalls (ie. if the customer finds out...deny, deny, deny...then they fix the problem for a pro-rated fee)?
Unread 05-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #160
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I bought a 06 LJ back in February this year with 24,000 miles on it. It was built in 2-06 and the engine code is 601MX09. After reading this thread I pulled the CPS sensor.

The biggest thing I noticed is that the wear mark around the shaft is uneven. On one side its about an inch long but as you rotate the shaft it gets smaller till your at 180 degrees and its about half the size of the marks on the other side.

What do you guys think, is this or the start of abnormal wear ??

FOG
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #161
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have a part number for the above CPS assembly ??

FOG
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 05:56 AM   #162
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherof2 View Post
Hello All,

I have an LJ that was built within the dates mentioned above. I have called 2 dealerships, and tired to contact Chrysler. Nobody knows what I am talking about. My Jeep has 26K on it, and seems to run just fine. Can anyone give me some tips on how to get this taken care of?

Best,

David
I posted this in another thread...HTH

HTH. 2005 JEEP WRANGLER Bulletin - Vehicle Safety TSB ID 9419
NHTSA Item Number: 10013784
Service Bulletin #: 05
Replacement #:
Vehicle/Equipment Make: JEEP
Vehicle/Eqipment Model: WRANGLER
Model Year: 2005
Mfg Component Code: 060000 ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Date of Bulletin: 2005-03-01
Date Added: 2005-04-26
Summary: THE OIL PUMP DRIVE GEAR ON ABOUT 16,000 OF THE ABOVE VEHICLE MAY WEAR OUT PREMATURELY AND CAUSE ENGINE FAILURE DUE TO A LOSS OF OIL PRESSURE. *SC
Unread 05-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #163
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
What do you guys think, is this or the start of abnormal wear ??
I'd say yes - the smaller/smoother marks appear normal, while the longer marks with the striations in them do not. I wonder if a gear can be inconsistently hardened from one section to another? If so, that's what this looks like to me...
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #164
X-Treme
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone know what years of these things are the same? Like.... is an OPD out of a 2000 the same as one out of an 06? Or are they not interchangeable at all?

I need one, because mine is squealing really bad, BUT they are on national back-order with no guarantee of delivery until MAYBE late August.

My Jeep is not driveable in this condition, and this is unacceptable at this time of year.

I'm thinkin of goin with a used one for now, but need to know what years will fit in what other years.
X-Treme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 12:57 AM   #165
bajorn5
2006 KJ Liberty 

I just checked my 05 with a 5-05 build date and the number was not close to the tsb and the gear and cam looked fine for 35K miles. Wear was even all over the teeth.Took about 30 min to check just to be sure.
bajorn5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.