Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 108 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 02-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #1606
mcicero

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
For those wanting to know

Go here
Jeep OEM Parts

Or here

Mopar Parts for Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep: MoparPartsAmerica

And put in part number 53010624AC and you can get the part for like 117.00 shipped instead of 150 at the dealer. I might do this when I get paid again. My question is how to install the new one in the same orientation the old one was in or does that not matter when putting a new one in?

The first website I tried and didn't work. The second one I used your part number and it came up at $377? I know I am a little late but has the price gone up that much since they are so needed? Anyone know whats up?

mcicero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #1607
WheelinOK
2005 TJ Wrangler 

are these OPDA's still being produced? The dealer keeps telling me its backordered, so is it backordered or not even made anymore?
WheelinOK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #1608
map93xj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelinOK View Post
are these OPDA's still being produced? The dealer keeps telling me its backordered, so is it backordered or not even made anymore?
Yes, there so many poeple wanting one that is why they are nationwide backorder. You can get a replacement gear from Crown Automotive Parts. The best thing would be to pull your OPDA and see how bad the wear is. If the wear isn't bad I won't worry about it right now. Nobody seems to know if it's the bearing in the top of the shaft or the gear it self that is the problem. It could be the governoment taking Zinc out of motoroil. Nobody real knows right now.
06 LJ rubi RE 4 1/2 sf, MT 35/12.50/15 on soft 8s, Kilby tummy tuck and engine skid, Wilderness frt and rear bumpers, Warn M8000, Cobra 75 cb, Genright sport cage, Poison Spyder Armor, Gen Right front fenders.
map93xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #1609
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This isn't the first backorder. It is the first time that the price has jumped so that has many of us (including myself) very uncertain of the meaning. Like already said a replacement gear and FogMOD seems like the modification of choice to get an existing OPDA up to standard. Pull it, check for wear, and check for shaft binding. Everything you need to know (or should I say everything we as group currently know) can be found with the below link.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/
Unread 02-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #1610
WheelinOK
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have an aftermarket warranty and the stealership has determined that there is enough wear to justify a replacement. but the arent getting a opda to replace it with. So I'm exploring my options.
WheelinOK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #1611
Bigbob

Quote:
Before the original Chrysler went bankrupt they quit building the inline 6 and of course they did not need too many of the OPDA deals anymore. Then they did go bankrupt and never went back into building cars. During that period of time before Chrysler Group took over Chrysler operations many of the part suppliers also went belly up. I am guessing this happened to whoever build our OPDA's. Chrysler Group stopped doing business with some of the old Chrysler suppliers. So I am guessing Chrysler Group is actually getting the supplier to start building them again. I would love to know what actually is happening. But one thing to remember- - - - Chrysler Group never had anything to do with TJ/LJ Jeeps or the 4.0 inline engine. They never built them as the TJ/LJ and 4.0 were halted 6 months or more before Chrysler Group took over Chrysler which is now called Old Carco. So just knowing Chrysler Group is honoring the warranty and also probably building replacement parts gives me hope they are showing some sort of customer acknowledgment.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #1612
Rubi4Us
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
For those wanting to know

Go here
Jeep OEM Parts

Or here

Mopar Parts for Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep: MoparPartsAmerica

And put in part number 53010624AC and you can get the part for like 117.00 shipped instead of 150 at the dealer. I might do this when I get paid again. My question is how to install the new one in the same orientation the old one was in or does that not matter when putting a new one in?

SURE wish I would have found this before!! Price is now $309 and cheapest shipping is $50 fedex ground.
I had mine out a few months ago when it first squealed and everything looked good. I'll be checking mine each 5,000 miles and taking photos to compare wear along with finding a spare for the toolbox in the back.
LJ 2005 Rubicon Unlimited "Sahara" Limited Edition #0146 of 1000
35 inch KM2's with 5.5 inch Rock Krawler Long Arm
Rubi4Us is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #1613
pizzle
2008 JK Wrangler 

I was fortunate enough to get an OPDA many months ago and Willydigger modded it with me. Paid about $120 for the unit. Just called a place in W.Va to see if they had one available and he said he was holding one for a customer, but I could order another one from him for THREE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY SEVEN DOLLARS! Nice to see businesses all to willing to stick it to the consumer any chance they can get!
pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #1614
aRedRocker
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Maybe a class action law suit would help with
a price adjustment.
aRedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #1615
DocMojave
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aRedRocker
Maybe a class action law suit would help with
a price adjustment.
Does anyone know of any attorneys willing to take this on?
Unread 03-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #1616
Moab_cj5
2010 JK Wrangler 

If you find an attorney, let me know. I am in. I have one on order for $377 from the local dealer, if it ever comes. I have had so many other issues with my Jeep though, I might get rid of the POS before the back order clears.
Moab_cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #1617
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
I' have to disagree with that blanket statement.

I know of several '05-'06 TJ's with over 100k on them that have not had any issues at all with the OPDA as far as codes or failure. Are the gears worn? Likely, but they are still functioning just fine.

Just because the gears examined here look and are worn excessively does not mean they will all ultimately fail completely.
When I read this earlier it got me thinking that we have been comparing the differences in 04' and earlier to our 05' and 06's , but in comparing amongst ourselves the only variable I can think of is the oil. After reading how important it is to use a high zinc content oil at break-in could some of the problem we are having be improper break-in.

Willy, Fog and Tiki are doing alot of good research on mods to our models to keep them going, but I see the switch in oil as the most important. I can't help but think that there was still enough zinc in the oils in 04' to allow for proper break-in of the valvetrain , camshaft and our OPDA gear. Thus allowing them better break-in than us.

I live on a rural postal mail route, the post lady drives a 05' RHD Wrangler. I stopped her to ask her mileage, 111,000 , with only water pump, battery and tires replaced. Her husband is a farmer who has always changed the oil with Rotella or what ever other diesel oil he had in his shop. She does have some highway driving, so it does turn some rpm's.
Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #1618
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It's March 15 now. What is the new back order date for the OPDA?
Unread 03-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #1619
MakeyourlucK
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just got off the, phone with mopar and they told me it has been pushed back to at least mid april before they see any
MakeyourlucK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #1620
Fusco
Hey Now

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Update on possible legal actions.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ne...l#post11170813
Fusco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.