Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 107 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #1591
motorsports3
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Im sorry but this is a really long thread. I am about to buy an 06. Will Chrysler still fix this issue? Is it a legit recall?

motorsports3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 12:09 AM   #1592
ff33
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsports3 View Post
Im sorry but this is a really long thread. I am about to buy an 06. Will Chrysler still fix this issue? Is it a legit recall?
No it is not a recall. If it is under warranty they will "fix" it. However the fix currently is they install a new gear or opda that is identical to the faulty ones, so it will most likely fail again. Some have gotten the fix even while not under warranty, some have been reimbursed after paying out of pocket and others have been told to f off. Just depends who you talk to it seems.
Unread 02-06-2011, 12:12 AM   #1593
motorsports3
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thats pretty dumb. Is this a big enough deal for me to shy away from an 05-06? I have to check the production date on the prospect.
motorsports3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 12:57 AM   #1594
ff33
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsports3 View Post
Thats pretty dumb. Is this a big enough deal for me to shy away from an 05-06? I have to check the production date on the prospect.
Production doesn't seem to matter, all 05-06 use the same opda so the general consensus is they will all fail prematurely. If you read the thread some members have been experimenting with some possible fixes but nothing has been run long enough to determine long term results, however short term results have been promising. Also the replacement opda's are on a major back order right now so if you do need one it is going to be a long wait. There is a condensed thread available that is an easier read as well. As far as not buying one is up to you. Obvisouly the people having the issue are posting up more than the ones with out issues. From reading the threads I can only recall one member checking their opda that did not have premature gear wear and that was a pretty recent post.
Unread 02-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #1595
kgginslc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff33 View Post
From reading the threads I can only recall one member checking their opda that did not have premature gear wear and that was a pretty recent post.
And that was on a replacement gear, if I'm thinking of the same one as you. So they were on their second gear with an unknown number of miles.
kgginslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #1596
uf20wop
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i bought my 06 tj a couple weeks ago

my build date is mid-late '06 (don't remember exactly)

i plan on pulling the OPDG this week some time

i'll report one way or the other
uf20wop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #1597
Gold79Fever
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've got a 2005 TJ with approximately 14,000 miles.
The 8th VIN position has an "S".
Build date says 05/05.
Part in question is:
LDI Inc.
Part # 53010624AC
105103-REV-B

So does this mean this part will fail also?
How will I know when it is getting close? Do I head to the dealer ASAP?
Thanks for your heads-up to all Jeepers on this.
Gold79Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #1598
uf20wop
2006 TJ Wrangler 

VIN doesn't matter... just some BS by Jeep is seems.

if you're mechanically inclined at all you can do it yourself... takes probably 30 minutes.
uf20wop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #1599
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold79Fever View Post
Build date says 05/05.
Part in question is:
LDI Inc.
Part # 53010624AC
105103-REV-B

Keep in mind the OPDA is a two part problem with the unit itself. One being insufficient shaft bushing lubrication, the second being premature gear wear. The shaft issue may well increase the gear wear, but both can occur independent of each other.

Of the two, the greatest risk of abrupt failure is with the shaft seizing up due to lack of lubrication and busting up the gear which will then likely contaminate the motor with metal fragments. But, even though the lubrication with the unit is flawed by design, not all OPDA units are having shaft bushing issues. Some seem to operate just fine as is. Obviously if all were having problems, there'd be thousands of broken down '05-'06 Jeeps by now.

All of the units seem to have a gear wear issue in which the gear will continue to wear until there is enough slop to throw a code at which point the OPDA needs replaced. In some circumstances the wear can involve and include the cam gear itself which is a much more labor and cost intensive ordeal than the OPDA gear.

My rig has over 60k on it and the OPDA gear is at the point where it will need replaced soon before it wears to the point that it throws a code. It had no tell-tale signs of anything being wrong until I checked it. Shaft still spins fine.

The whole issue is not the end of the world, but it is indeed a problem that needs to be monitored at the least, and more likely replaced when needed and/or modified at most.
A re-design by the manufacturer would be the ideal solution.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #1600
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold79Fever View Post
Build date says 05/05.
Part in question is:
LDI Inc.
Part # 53010624AC
105103-REV-B

You need to pull the unit. Go to the OPDA Failure thread (link below) for instructions and a video. You're mileage is low so it may only have minor wear. If your gear is still serviceable you can do the FogMOD (also described fully in the below link) and likely be okay. We are still looking into potential problems with the lower bushing, however in my experience the top bushing is the one to address ASAP.

The VIN and PN of the OPDA has no real value. While a faulty gear may have been a factor in the beginning, time has shown us that the OPDA design is poor. All 2005-06 Jeeps have this OPDA, so there is a high likelihood that yours will fail if you do nothing.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/
Unread 02-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #1601
Gold79Fever
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all of your quick replies. I just "accidentally" found this thread (waiting to win a trailer!!) today so now have a new project to work on.....just what we all need.
Hope a fix to this problem comes along really soon.
Gold79Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #1602
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It's not that there are OPDAs out there that are fine, it's just that the vast majority of 05-06 owners are oblivious to the problem. Some OPDAs may last longer than others for various reasons, but the issue here is that all of them will eventually fail.
Unread 02-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #1603
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
It's not that there are OPDAs out there that are fine, it's just that the vast majority of 05-06 owners are oblivious to the problem. Some OPDAs may last longer than others for various reasons, but the issue here is that all of them will eventually fail.
I' have to disagree with that blanket statement.

I know of several '05-'06 TJ's with over 100k on them that have not had any issues at all with the OPDA as far as codes or failure. Are the gears worn? Likely, but they are still functioning just fine.

Just because the gears examined here look and are worn excessively does not mean they will all ultimately fail completely.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #1604
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
I' have to disagree with that blanket statement.

I know of several '05-'06 TJ's with over 100k on them that have not had any issues at all with the OPDA as far as codes or failure. Are the gears worn? Likely, but they are still functioning just fine.

Just because the gears examined here look and are worn excessively does not mean they will all ultimately fail completely.
I wasn't willing to chance it. Who knows when the gear teeth will wear thin enough to chip off? Different driving habits, oils, too many variables to say when or if it will fail. I guess some may sell or trade in before a failure occurs.
Unread 02-25-2011, 11:24 PM   #1605
amcjeepman
1986 CJ7 

I have an '05 LJ Rubicon w/ 56k miles I have owned since new and always used Mobile 1 in it. I will be checking OPDG this weekend or this comming week. So far no chirping. Will take pictures as well and most likely do fogmod.
81 CJ7 360 T177
05 Rubicon Unlimited
and others ;)
amcjeepman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.