Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 104 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #1546
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ideal is 0 degrees.

Unread 01-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #1547
cmceleste
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement and about how much it'll cost? Obviosly the dealership has them but I have read they often go on backorder. Thinking about buying one just to have incase it slips again.

Sucks Chrysler does nothing about this...
cmceleste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #1548
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmceleste View Post
Thanks.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement and about how much it'll cost? Obviosly the dealership has them but I have read they often go on backorder. Thinking about buying one just to have incase it slips again.

The dealer doesn't have any but you can try, best case scenario is February 14th, you may want to try some online stores, none of which will have any in stock now though.

I got mine at dodge-wholesale.com (well I paid for it, hoping to get it on the 14th!)
Unread 01-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #1549
cmceleste
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know what degree sets off the check engine light? 11.3 is when I finally scanned it, its at 1.3 now. Just curious to see what degree sets the check engine light.
cmceleste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #1550
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

15 degrees, IIRC.
Unread 01-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #1551
airframer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmceleste View Post
Thanks.

I found it for bout $100 on mopper websites. Glad this thread is here. I noticed mine getting low while replacing my crank.
Unread 01-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #1552
steitsma
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Can you just add STP Oil Treatment to your oil and get the same result as opposed to using the more expensive oil with the higher levels of zinc?
steitsma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #1553
airframer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here found just the gear section here http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product...689200#details
Unread 01-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #1554
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airframer View Post
Here found just the gear section here http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product...689200#details
That is for 02-04 (modifications would need to be made to have it work on 05-06)
Unread 01-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #1555
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airframer View Post
That won't work for the 2005-06. They are completely different. That may be a way to get a good replacement gear. Also if anyone gets one for the gear or for comparison to the 2005-06 model post up some pics.
Unread 01-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #1556
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steitsma View Post
Can you just add STP Oil Treatment to your oil and get the same result as opposed to using the more expensive oil with the higher levels of zinc?
I don't think anyone really knows the ZDDP level in that. Also what effect with it have on the oil? If the Mobil 1 is too pricey, you can be our STP guinea pig. Try it, document it, and post the results.

You could probably get 6-qts of dino oil and a filter for $25. Add the STP for $5. You'd save about $20 over using Mobil 1 5w40 TDT. FOG will know more. I don't really know anything about oil.
Unread 01-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #1557
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steitsma View Post
The problem with the STP oil treatment is its not just ZDDP its a bunch of viscosity modifiers which make your oil much thicker IE heavier weight. The reason for this is STP markets this stuff for people that have older high mileage engines that have larger bearing clearances and burn oil which will benefit from the thicker oil.

Unless your 4.0 has a huge amount of miles on it (like over 150,000) all the STP additive is going to do is cause your engine to get less oil flow because of the thicker oil.

There are products like ZDDP plus that do add zinc and phos without any modifiers but they are around $10 a bottle IIRC.

The other issue is the quality of the oil you put the ZDDP in. There is a reason that the European car markers got away from the API certification because its standards allowed a wide variance from really good high quality synthetics all the way to really cheap crappy oil. Which basically has allowed the oils of today to not be as good as the ones 10 years ago.

So to deal with this car makers like BMW, Benz, ETC created the ACEA rating system. So if you want a quality oil to put the ZDDP in then buy a ACEA rated oil. But your back where you started because the 5W-40 TDT is a ACEA rated oil .

Honestly with whats at stake just spend the extra $15 when you change your oil and get the right oil.

On a side note I've ran Mobil one 10W-30 in my 01 4Runner for the first 100K then switched to 5W-40 TDT till where I am now at 300K. I pulled the valve cover yesterday to replace the seal and the engine looks brand new, no varnish or oil staining. And this is a engine that has been plagued with the sludge issue.

Mobile one and the 5W-40 TDT oils are very much worth the money.
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #1558
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going to add this to the failure thread.
Unread 01-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #1559
steitsma
2006 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the clarification, i will just go with mobil 1 when i'm ready to do my next change, i know its been asked but what weight mobil 1 should i go with so i remember to pick it up next time! thank you!
steitsma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #1560
05LongJeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well I tore into mine this morning. I had pulled it earlier to check for wear but didn't have time to do a full inspect. I was actually suprised at the lack of scoring. I went with the 45 degree grease zirk for my "Fog Mod". But I think my in stock viper lube may be a little thick. Really a waste of time though, My gear is approaching the Down Hill Run on the gear tooth. This has got me thinking. How many Wrangler drivers have an extra vehicle? I had just bought a 96 Accord when I stumbled upon this thread. I was thinking the LJ would forever have low miles. Thanks to JEEP its mandatory! I think I'll go test drive a Tacoma today!!!

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.