Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 103 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-21-2011, 02:16 AM   #1531
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Yep.

I just talked to Chrysler, they're calling my dealer reference a diagnosis appointment, then we go from there.
Better hope you still have the full warranty. Chrysler told me to screw myself.

Unread 01-21-2011, 02:29 AM   #1532
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
Yall are making this cam alignment way too hard on yourselves. If you marked all the right areas and you take your time you will line it up fine. I did this at 3 in the morning in my driveway with just a flashlight....I think yall can do it in the day time just fine with no problems.
To be fair I also did this at night with a flashlight.
Zetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 03:14 AM   #1533
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetto View Post
To be fair I also did this at night with a flashlight.
That's the spirit
Unread 01-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #1534
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
Better hope you still have the full warranty. Chrysler told me to screw myself.
That's actually the vibe I got from the guy I talked to, but we'll see.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #1535
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

-8 degrees, easy start up, no chirpping.....it has to be the Mobil 1.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 01-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #1536
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had my OPDA checked at the dealer today, and it was determined it needed to be replaced, but was caught in the early stages. I was told I'll have to pay no more than 50% of the cost. If Chrysler doesn't ask for the original one back the dealer said they'd give it to me.

Still no more chirpping. If you have an '05 or and '06 I'd strongly suggest doing the switch to synthetic Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40 asap, especially if you live where it gets eskimo cold.

Unread 01-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #1537
Elwood
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just did mine and mine looked just like the pictures Zetto posted. I did the Fog Mod and today I started my Jeep at -4 degrees. No chirping at all. When I pulled mine, it turned hard, but not rough. I have a new one ordered, but did the mod on my existing one. After greasing it, and spinning it a few times, smooth as silk!

Installed it, changed the oil to Mobil 1 and all has been great since.

BTW, I changed mine in a 65 degree heated 60x60 shop with plenty of light, snap-on tools and Sirius Satellite Radio on Classic Rewind!
Unread 01-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #1538
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood View Post

BTW, I changed mine in a 65 degree heated 60x60 shop with plenty of light, snap-on tools and Sirius Satellite Radio on Classic Rewind!
I hate you

Good news to hear about the oil and modded OPDAs! Anxiously awaiting mine to show up!
Unread 01-21-2011, 06:50 PM   #1539
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Zetto, do you know if your gear was replaced by the Chrysler E05 TSB? If not, I think they will do that at no cost to you. Some of you guys with more experience with that please tell me if I'm wrong on that.

The gear on mine had been replaced and the replacement gear had 3 holes in it (for the rollpin). Two of the holes lined up (which is where the rollpin was on mine) and the other was at 90° to the other two and at a slightly different depth from the top of the gear. I'm not sure but my guess is if the two holes lined up ok they'd just install with the rollpin there and if not, drill a hole opposite the 90° one and install rollpin there. You guys feel free to chime in that know more about it.
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #1540
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lope View Post
Zetto, do you know if your gear was replaced by the Chrysler E05 TSB? If not, I think they will do that at no cost to you. Some of you guys with more experience with that please tell me if I'm wrong on that.

The gear on mine had been replaced and the replacement gear had 3 holes in it (for the rollpin). Two of the holes lined up (which is where the rollpin was on mine) and the other was at 90° to the other two and at a slightly different depth from the top of the gear. I'm not sure but my guess is if the two holes lined up ok they'd just install with the rollpin there and if not, drill a hole opposite the 90° one and install rollpin there. You guys feel free to chime in that know more about it.
lope,

I have a 2006 so I assumed that the recall did not apply but I will call my dealer tomorrow. I am pulling the OPDA in the morning and installing a zerk fitting until I can purchase a new OPDA or at the least a gear.
Zetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #1541
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetto View Post
lope,

I have a 2006 so I assumed that the recall did not apply but I will call my dealer tomorrow. I am pulling the OPDA in the morning and installing a zerk fitting until I can purchase a new OPDA or at the least a gear.
Correct, the E05 was based on that TSB with certain build dates. I forget the build dates but I don't think '06 was covered
Unread 01-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #1542
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, forgot it was limited to '05's, and only late '04 to early '05 builds if I remember right. Thanks guys
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #1543
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lope View Post
Yeah, forgot it was limited to '05's, and only late '04 to early '05 builds if I remember right. Thanks guys
Mine's an '06, built in '05. I believe an "S" as the 8th digit in the vin is a sure sign that said jeep has the problem as well.

Remember this is NOT a recall. If you call Chrysler they make that perfectly clear.

Unread 01-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #1544
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Youtube of OPDA removal uploaded.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...l#post10831968
Unread 01-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #1545
cmceleste
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So Im joining the club. Bought my 06 TJ used 2.5 years back with 25000 miles. as I reach my warantee at 60000, check engine, cam shaft code, and so Im here. Build date is 3/06 - no recall.

I took out the OPD and had the wear on the gears and there was a great amout of play from the shaft to the housing. I found the same housing/shaft combination from an older jeep distributer: Swaped out the bushings and gear and it fit perfectly with no play.

No for the complex question. When I first scanned it said I had an 11.3 degree differntial between crank and cam shaft. When I replaced the fabricated OPD it now says I have a differential of 8.3.
What I am wondering is if anyone knows what the correct differential degree should be. I am using a Snap-On Modis.
Thanks
cmceleste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.