Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 102 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #1516
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
This morning was the coldest morning we've had so far this winter, and the first morning after changing to the Mobile 1 Truck Turbo Diesel 5W-40 oil...........it didn't make a sound. It's only one morning, but it gives me hope that the oil is providing better lubrication than the dino oil that was in there.
That's good news! You're running 6 quarts?

Unread 01-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #1517
Neeco
It is what it isn't

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Can someone point me to the post where symptoms of this problem are listed, as I have an 05 X I6

"When you wake someone up with one hand on their throat and a blade in their mouth they become very compliant." ~ Cause

"You can't get us all"......."That's a fact, but you're first and he's second, do you care what happens after that?" Last stand at Saber River
Neeco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #1518
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lope View Post
I ripped the oil seal out leaving the bushing in place, I think that's what you meant?
Yeah that's what I meant. Thanks.
Unread 01-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #1519
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neec0 View Post
Can someone point me to the post where symptoms of this problem are listed?
The below link will get you up to date with what we know collectively. As far as symptoms, sometimes there will be a squeal like a bad belt. Sometimes it will simply fail with no warning.

Your best bet is to pull it and check for resistance when turning the shaft.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/
Unread 01-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #1520
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Can someone point me to the post where symptoms of this problem are listed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJaynocibuR View Post
I have been getting random misses and crank position snesor codes. I have tried 2 new sensors and still getting the code. I think the slack in the gears is causing the crank/cam sensors to be out of sync. That's just a guess as of now, but that is what led me searching for things and I found this. I then called chrysler and was told to get it diagnosed at a dealer, so id id. They then decided to cover it under the recall. I have 64k miles. Sorry for the crappy grammar, I'm posting from my phone and its not easy to do.
Also noisy start ups...."chirping"
Unread 01-20-2011, 08:52 AM   #1521
Neeco
It is what it isn't

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
Also noisy start ups...."chirping"
Well, see my thread HERE. I haven't had any codes yet though... Just this ticking noise...

Thanks in advance.

"When you wake someone up with one hand on their throat and a blade in their mouth they become very compliant." ~ Cause

"You can't get us all"......."That's a fact, but you're first and he's second, do you care what happens after that?" Last stand at Saber River
Unread 01-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #1522
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, see my thread HERE. I haven't had any codes yet though... Just this ticking noise...

Thanks in advance.
If you don't want to pull the OPDA yourself you can have it diagnosed at the dealer, if they haven't serviced it yet under E05 it will be covered. But at the same time OPDAs are out of stock until February 14th at best.
Unread 01-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #1523
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Mine does that every once in a while. I don't think it's a big deal. Next time it happens open the hood and feel the OPDA. If it is something major it should increase in regularity and severity.
Unread 01-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #1524
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
That's good news! You're running 6 quarts?
Yep.

I just talked to Chrysler, they're calling my dealer reference a diagnosis appointment, then we go from there.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #1525
Neeco
It is what it isn't

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Mine does that every once in a while. I don't think it's a big deal. Next time it happens open the hood and feel the OPDA. If it is something major it should increase in regularity and severity.
This comment isn't comforting. You have an 05 as well... Coincidence? I think not... I like to stay ahead of the breakdowns if possible...

And @ ChaseB - then my Jeep will go into see the dealer in Feb, as I don't have another DD, and certainly not going to rent a car for that long...

Unread 01-20-2011, 09:44 AM   #1526
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This comment isn't comforting. You have an 05 as well... Coincidence? I think not... I like to stay ahead of the breakdowns if possible...

And @ ChaseB - then my Jeep will go into see the dealer in Feb, as I don't have another DD, and certainly not going to rent a car for that long...
You'll get more feedback from your other thread. What I was trying to say is that a start-up tick seems common with the I6 in general.

The OPDA failure is a squeal not a tick. Assuming it makes any noise before failure.
Unread 01-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #1527
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You'll get more feedback from your other thread. What I was trying to say is that a start-up tick seems common with the I6 in general.

The OPDA failure is a squeal not a tick. Assuming it makes any noise before failure.
Agreed with tick, as the inline six tends to be a noisy motor. Mine will tick from time to time as well. You should hear my 258....sounds like someone is hammering metal inside the motor. The 4.0 is much quieter.
Unread 01-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #1528
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
This morning was the coldest morning we've had so far this winter, and the first morning after changing to the Mobile 1 Truck Turbo Diesel 5W-40 oil...........it didn't make a sound.
While I was up in Colorado earlier it got down to about negative seven one night/early morning. Just out of morbid curiosity since I had previously never been in cold below 28F I tired to start the 4.0. The engine spun over and started up just like it was a nice warm summer day. IMHO the 5W-40 TDT oil is worth the extra cost.

Quote:
There have been plenty of OPDA related failures that didn't give any warning at all with a squeal or a tick. However aside from a squeal the OPDA will make a ticking or rattling if its drive gear the cam gear have started to wear down. The ticking won't be audible at any distance unless there is extreme damage to the gears which is soon to be followed by a structural failure of one or more of the gears teeth.

But aside from the squeal you can get a general idea if your getting wear by holding your hand on the OPDA with the engine just above idle speed. You shouldn't be able to feel any rattle or knocking, just a smooth vibration.

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 01:09 AM   #1529
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just pulled the OPDA on my 06 LJ with 46,xxx mi. It looks to be in better shape than others have posted but I believe the gear at the very least will need to be replaced. I then plan to do the FogMod until Chrysler either redesigns the OPDA or a replacement of the current version becomes available (261 back ordered as of earlier today).

Before going forward I have to say this is a very easy procedure and the following should not scare anyone off. I believe that the issues I ran in to was my own fault and I should have placed additional marks at the base of the oil pump drive assembly where it butts up against the block to ensure it was properly aligned.

I first removed the black plastic cover and marked the location of the target wheel to the oil pump drive housing. Next I marked the location of the oil pump drive housing to the block (I wish I had been more accurate marking the oil pump drive housing to the block as this would have saved me a ton of headache later on ). Finally I disconnected the CMP sensor from the engine wiring harness.

Immediately after pulling the black plastic cover I noticed "shards" below the target wheel. I initially though theses to be metal shavings and then realized it is some kind of dust/grease as it smeared on my fingers.

I pulled and reviewed the drive gear and camshaft gear to inspect for signs of wear.

As mentioned above it is not as bad as others have seen but I still do not like it.

Not feeling too bad about my findings I reinstalled the oil bump drive housing and tightened it down after aligning the marks I made earlier. Next I installed the black plastic cover and verified everything was tight and sealed. I then started the engine which idle normal but after 12-13 seconds the CEL came on with a code of "P0016 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor A)". I verified the CMP sensor was properly connected to the engine wiring harness (I even disconnected it, inspected, plugged it back in and snapped the clip back in to place).

I disconnected the battery and turned on the headlights to allow it to drain for 2 minutes. I then connected the battery and verified no CEL or codes were present. I started the engine and after 12-13 seconds the CEL and P0016 returned.

Time to recheck the alignment so I removed the black plastic cover, loosened the retaining bolt and made small adjustments clockwise and counterclockwise to the oil pump drive assembly. I tightened the retaining bolts and reinstalled the black plastic cover. Each time I disconnected the battery for 2 minutes with the headlights on and verified no CEL or codes were present before starting. After three attempts the CEL was still coming on with code P0016.

Keep in mind the whole time it was starting up and idling perfect so I assumed it was only off by a hair. I decided to take it for a quick test drive taking it up to 3,000RPM with no misfire or issues.

After shutting off the engine I manually turned the crank to TDC (Aligning the timing index mark on the vibration damper pulley to 0 degree on the timing degree scale.). This then aligned the target wheel alignment hole with the housing alignment hole (You may need to keep turning the crank to TDC a second time if the target wheel alignment hole is opposite of the housing alignment hole.). The target wheel alignment hole and the housing alignment hole appeared to be lined up when looking at it from straight above. However, I decided the alignment of the oil pump drive assembly to the block did not look perfect. I loosened the retaining bolt and made a final slight adjustment to the oil pump drive assembly (This was done with the battery disconnected and the headlights on). I then tightened the retaining bolt, verified the alignment, installed the black plastic cover, connected the battery, verified no CEL or codes were present and started it.

This time after 1 minutes of idle no CEL or codes popped up. I then drove it around the block with no issues and finally drove it for 15 minutes while taking it up to 4,000RPM on the highway without any issues.

I assume the issue was the alignment of the oil pump drive assembly to the block but I wonder if going back to TDC had anything to do with it? Any input is greatly appreciated and I hope this helps others who decide to check on theirs oil pump drive assembly as I believe all 05-06 are inevitably going to have problems.
Zetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 01:15 AM   #1530
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yall are making this cam alignment way too hard on yourselves. If you marked all the right areas and you take your time you will line it up fine. I did this at 3 in the morning in my driveway with just a flashlight....I think yall can do it in the day time just fine with no problems.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.