Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 101 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 01-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #1501
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Good info in this thread. It's a shame to see a design flaw causing so many headaches.

Got a couple thoughts/questions to the guys involved in this research.

I have a Rev-B unit in my '05, but haven't checked for any wear at this point and have had no codes, squeals, or performance issues.

I have a bit over 61k on my rig. I've been a proponent of higher level of ZDDP oils (Pre-SM) for many years and I have used high level ZDDP oils for mearly all of those 61k miles.

I primarily used Mobil 1 HM 10w30 up until they further reduced the Phosphorus/Zinc levels in that oil last year to 900/1000 ppm respectively.

I recently decided to switch to Mobil 1 5w40 Turbo Diesal Truck that has higher phosphorus/zinc levels (1100/1200 ppm) similar to those that the SL oils used to have.

I haven't had the time to read 100 pages of post, but perhaps someone can chime in here. Seeing the '04 and earlier engines don't seem to have the gear-wear issues, am I correct in assuming that the ZDDP's, or lack there-of, is not be the root cause of the gear wear as much as it is the un-lubricated bearing putting resistance on the shaft which in turn puts more pressure on the meshing gears and causing premature wear?

Am I correct in assuming that the ZDDP's may inded help to reduce this wear to the drive gear on the '05-'06 motors, but without the resistance of the faulty shaft/seal design, it would likely not be a problem?

Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #1502
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
Am I correct in assuming that the ZDDP's may inded help to reduce this wear to the drive gear on the '05-'06 motors, but without the resistance of the faulty shaft/seal design, it would likely not be a problem?
The way I see it I believe you have it about right. The '04 and earlier models had the oil seal at the top of the bushing, the '05-'06's had it at the bottom of the top bushing keeping any oil from reaching it. I don't know how the thing was supposed to hold up without any lubrication to the top bushing. Hopefully the mods we've made will stand up to the test. We'll see.
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #1503
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Where do you guys buy your oil from (reason I ask is it's around $8 a quart locally)? The (Mobil 1 5w40 Turbo Diesal Truck) and what kind of filter do you guys recommend?

Next oil change I'm switching it up whether or not I have the new unit installed.

Thanks!
Unread 01-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #1504
nate2630
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If anyone can help me that would be great. My 05 sport would not go over 2500rpm so I took it to a dealership in Denver on 12-29-10 and was told it needed recall e05 and or warranty work done and that it would be ready on 1-3-11. I received a call on 12-31-10 that the oil pump drive was on back order till 2-14-11! I have to rent a car and pay for it myself and might get it back before 2-20-11 and I can not afford to pay for a rental that long. I have spoken with about 8 supervisors with Chrysler and no one seems to have any accountability there. If anyone can help or knows where to get the oil pump drive for an 05 please let me know or if anyone knows anybody at Chrysler that can help me please let me know. I have been reading a lot of threads of people over the last 4 years that have had the same problem, why have they not made enough of these yet, it is rediculous!!! Please help!!!
I have called about 50 different salvage yards and no luck, it would be easier to find a lepricon with a pot of gold then to find this part! Please email me if you can help ridethebeav2@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Nate
nate2630 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #1505
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2630 View Post
If anyone can help me that would be great. My 05 sport would not go over 2500rpm so I took it to a dealership in Denver on 12-29-10 and was told it needed recall e05 and or warranty work done and that it would be ready on 1-3-11. I received a call on 12-31-10 that the oil pump drive was on back order till 2-14-11! I have to rent a car and pay for it myself and might get it back before 2-20-11 and I can not afford to pay for a rental that long. I have spoken with about 8 supervisors with Chrysler and no one seems to have any accountability there. If anyone can help or knows where to get the oil pump drive for an 05 please let me know or if anyone knows anybody at Chrysler that can help me please let me know. I have been reading a lot of threads of people over the last 4 years that have had the same problem, why have they not made enough of these yet, it is rediculous!!! Please help!!!
I have called about 50 different salvage yards and no luck, it would be easier to find a lepricon with a pot of gold then to find this part! Please email me if you can help ridethebeav2@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Nate
Unfortunately you're out of luck with the OPDA until the 14th. Give Jonathon at Chrysler a call. (248) 944-7141
Unread 01-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #1506
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
Where do you guys buy your oil from (reason I ask is it's around $8 a quart locally)? The (Mobil 1 5w40 Turbo Diesal Truck) and what kind of filter do you guys recommend?

Next oil change I'm switching it up whether or not I have the new unit installed.

Thanks!
I switched today. I got the oil at Autozone, it was on sale for like 6 bucks a quart. I bought the Mobil 1 filter too.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #1507
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
I switched today. I got the oil at Autozone, it was on sale for like 6 bucks a quart. I bought the Mobil 1 filter too.
Thanks! I'll try to find some sales! Every little bit helps lol!
Unread 01-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #1508
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Have you tried Walmart? They sell a gallon for $25. I use the Mopar filter (also at Walmart).
Unread 01-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #1509
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Have you tried Walmart? They sell a gallon for $25. I use the Mopar filter (also at Walmart).
I tried and they didn't stock it at the location I went to, but there are 3 others to try so I'll give that a shot too! Thanks for the replies guys!
Unread 01-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #1510
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Unfortunately you're out of luck with the OPDA until the 14th. Give Jonathon at Chrysler a call. (248) 944-7141
I was also told Feb 14 by an online dealer. Think they will actually have the part available then?
Unread 01-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #1511
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
I was also told Feb 14 by an online dealer. Think they will actually have the part available then?
It's wishful thinking but if the dealership is saying Feb 14th as well it's obviously coming from the manufacturer and I hope they are running on schedule with production! Damn shame they're still producing defective OPDAs though!
Unread 01-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #1512
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It's wishful thinking but if the dealership is saying Feb 14th as well it's obviously coming from the manufacturer and I hope they are running on schedule with production! Damn shame they're still producing defective OPDAs though!
Let's hope the backorder is because they were changing someting.....cross your fingers people.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 01-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #1513
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Let's hope the backorder is because they were changing someting.....cross your fingers people.
I can only assume the backorder would mean they had to produce more?? Unless they're importing them from somewhere? You think by now they would know that it's defective. Changes should have been made and it would be VERY nice if there were a new unit to replace the defective one.
Unread 01-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #1514
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

This morning was the coldest morning we've had so far this winter, and the first morning after changing to the Mobile 1 Truck Turbo Diesel 5W-40 oil...........it didn't make a sound. It's only one morning, but it gives me hope that the oil is providing better lubrication than the dino oil that was in there.

Unread 01-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #1515
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Mine's been chirping for a few weeks now when cold, lasting maybe a couple hundred yards.
Dealership says they "see no problems with this". Owner has a sideline biz selling Hemi's. NOT BITING.
Taking apart tomorrow or telling them to take it out tomorrow
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.