Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 100 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #1486
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

very interested to see the outcome of your modification!!

Unread 01-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #1487
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
very interested to see the outcome of your modification!!
I think Fog's way is probably an easier solution and I hope will be enough for us to not have to worry about blowing our motor every time we drive our jeeps. I also believe trying something different is a good idea. The more people working on this the better, and approaching from different angles might help too.
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:52 PM   #1488
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I see we just hit 100 pages on this thread, do we get a cookie or something?
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #1489
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lope View Post
I see we just hit 100 pages on this thread, do we get a cookie or something?
Lots of great info in these threads! Ya'll should get a prize, maybe we can get Chrysler to send ya'll some fruit baskets or something
Unread 01-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #1490
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm a victim of this now.....but reading through this thread make me afraid to drive the jeep.

It started chirpping a few days ago, turned it off, didn't drive it. Then yesterday it didn't chirp, drove it around town a bit. Today it chirpped and I turned it off.

I'm going to talk to the dealer tomorrow about a fix. The FOGMOD seems pretty cool, but it's well beyond my abilities.

Has anyone here actually lost an engine due to this problem?

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #1491
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Has anyone here actually lost an engine due to this problem?
Yes, there's been several. If the shaft seizes up it can ruin the camshaft, fail to turn oil pump (lose oil pressure, motor toast), lifter damage etc. Yours sounds like what mine was doing. I had pulled and checked it for wear and it looked fine, then about 6 weeks or so later got the chirping on a cold morning. Pulled it and it was trying to bind at the top bushing. Probably your top bushing needs lubrication. I hope the dealer will be of help and it works out for you.

Have you seen the thread Willydigger put up? It's a condensed version of this problem and an easy read. Here it is
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/
Unread 01-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #1492
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
All I have left is to put the roll pin in the gear and It's back together. If everything looks good I'll probably swap it for my new OPDA that's in my jeep tomorrow and give it a shot. My thinking is the upper bushing will get oil to it now and the oil groove (along with the poly bushing) will keep it from leaking into the top housing. I don't know if it will work but I figure the old distributors didn't have any problems like we're seeing with the OPDA's so why not give it a try.
I'll keep you posted.
Please keep us in the loop on how this works out. I really want to see how everyone's modification works out. I'm waiting to see Willydiggers results after 10k or so miles, and I'd really like to see this one too.

Thanks for all of the info!
tkki1230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #1493
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Lope,

Did you remove the upper bushing on the OPDA and remove the seal below it? If so how did you get it out and do you have pics of it close up?

The groove will direct the oil out the bottom. It likely goes up into the upper bushing a little so the bushing has contact with some oil. The tight tolerance and the groove should help prevent oil from escaping from the top.

Comparing the two, it looks like LDI screwed the pooch by installing the seal.

Overall I think the FOGMod is easier for the general public. Like Tkki said, I'd be very interested to see long term results.

Great job with the photos and comparison. I really appreciate members contributing. This should help with brainstorming. Thanks!
Unread 01-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #1494
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here's my blurry pic the dealer took, of course they diagnosed it as nothing being wrong with it. I'm not stupid and can see some wear on the gear even in this blurry a$$ picture. 28,000 miles

I'm hoping the OPDAs are available soon so I can get this taken care of. Not a fun feeling knowing you're driving a ticking time bomb.
Unread 01-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #1495
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Willy, I did not have to remove the bushing to get the seal out, I basically dug it out with an old dental pick. The seal was rubber but it was real hard, probably from heat, so I turned the OPDA upside down and plugged the top bushing and poured acetone into it, at least enough to cover the seal and let it soak for awhile. The acetone really softened it up and made removal much easier. Sorry, I don't have any pics of that.

Today I cleaned up and polished my "new" shaft from the old distributor and got it all back together. Here's some pics and a better look at the gear wear up to this point. This was the gear from my original OPDA which had at most 50,000 miles on it. I say that because it was replaced per the TSB E05, and I don't know how many miles it had on it then because I was not the owner at the time.
opda-031.jpg
opda-032.jpg
opda-033.jpg

I swapped in my new modified unit and everything looks good so far. My first concern was oil possibly leaking at the top but it showed no leaks. I should mention I made the fit between drive gear and poly bushing under the sensor wheel a little more snug than what the factory OPDA's have. I wanted to keep the poly bushing sitting flush with the top bushing to help prevent oil leakage.

So far so good but only time and miles will tell. I'm about 4 or 5 weeks from my next oil change and unless a problem causes me to pull it before, I'll probably pull it then and check it out.

I agree about the Fog mod probably being the best way to go for most people. And I thank you and all the others who have contributed as well. Even if people just post their situations and experiences it helps.
Unread 01-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #1496
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

ChaseB, Too bad the pic isn't better. Can't tell the wear from that pic.
Unread 01-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #1497
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
Here's my blurry pic the dealer took, of course they diagnosed it as nothing being wrong with it. I'm not stupid and can see some wear on the gear even in this blurry a$$ picture. 28,000 miles

I'm hoping the OPDAs are available soon so I can get this taken care of. Not a fun feeling knowing you're driving a ticking time bomb.
I hope they're better mechanics than photographers. That picture isn't much good for you. They probably wanted it that way, hide the evidence.
Unread 01-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #1498
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
Too bad the pic isn't better. Can't tell the wear from that pic.
I requested to be there to take my own pics but you know how that goes.....RUNAROUND.

In any case I finally spoke with someone today and as already mentioned expected ETA on OPDA units is February 14th. Be mine OPDA lol

I'll try and pull it myself soon and take some actual photos and not blurry nonsense
Unread 01-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #1499
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I hope they're better mechanics than photographers. That picture isn't much good for you. They probably wanted it that way, hide the evidence.
I think that if it were bad you'd see more shine. All I see is some discoloration. Either way I don't think you'd have very bad wear at 28K.

Get the mod done though.

Lope, so I'm clear, you softened and then ripped the OPDA bushing out leaving the upper bushing in place?
Unread 01-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #1500
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Lope, so I'm clear, you softened and then ripped the OPDA bushing out leaving the upper bushing in place?
I ripped the oil seal out leaving the bushing in place, I think that's what you meant?

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.