Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this) - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler is paying to install a new cam (2005/2006 owners should read this)

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #136
Woodenya
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, yours is worn abnormally...
You need to take your Jeep to the dealer and call the Chrysler 800 number. Mention TSB E05.
It's hard to tell if the Cam gear is worn. The underside of the gear teeth drive the CPS gear. You need to use a small miror to inspect the underside of the teeth.

'06 TJ [B]Rubi[/B] (Light Metalic Khaki) 6sp, Bought 3-10 w/6500 miles. 31 MTR's, UCF alum UHC T-case & engine skid w/ LoPro, Rokmen gas tank & steer gear skid, Ridler dif covers F/R, Warn 8274-50, Optima Yellow top, Pro Comp front 3/4" spacers, Currie 1" BL, Bomb Proof MML, Novak cable shifter, AGR Super Box 2, Warn rear bumper/tire carrier, Rubi locker mod/pumps moved to engine bay, OBA. Build to come...
Woodenya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #137
ElJaynocibuR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country1 View Post
Yeah, I had to realign my oil pump with a screw driver too. It took a few tries, but I finally got her. No codes either...

Update on my drive failure... I took mine to Carmax because I still had a 30 day warranty. (I just purchased the TJ). At first Carmax seemed like they we're going to take care of the problem, but that soon changed. After going back and forth with them for most of the week, the end result is them wanting to replace the cam position sensor only. They aren't willing to replace the cam shaft even though there is abnormal wear on the gear. The service manager even told me that the new CPS will "just get tore up again". So it's really ridicules that they won't do the whole job... He also told me that there is a "nation wide back order" on the CPS and the est. ship date for one was 4/28/10.... Maybe Jeep has figured out that their part is still failing and are doing a redesign??... Anyway, I pulled the trailer to Carmax yesterday, loaded my Jeep up and took her home. She’s now washed again and safe in my garage. Bottom line with Carmax is, they’re still just a used car dealer no matter what they try to make you believe before the sale. Also, don’t put too much faith in their 30 day “we’ll make it right” warranty. Their service department has a few things to learn about customer service too!

When I gave up on Carmax I called the 800 Chrysler number. Explained my problem, told them about the E05 TSB and this thread. They gave me a case # and said I would receive a call from a case manager by close of business the next day. About 2:30 yesterday I got a call from a nice lady and she said that they were willing to help cover the costs of the repair (she wouldn't say how much though), but I had to take the vehicle into my dealer and get it "properly" diagnose. Told her I would call and set up an appointment and she said she would call me back the next day to follow up on my appointment date.

Hung up from her and called Rob (my service writer at Jeep/Dodge dealer) and filled him in on everything that I’d been through (He was the 1st person I talked to about this last week and he advised me to try Carmax 1st). He said " from my experience it sounds like Chrysler is going to take care of this for you". ( I hope so!) We set an appointment for Monday morning and he said that he would follow the instructions on the TSB. Also that he would most likely be on the phone back and forth with Chrysler most of the day Monday but, by the end of the day we would have a full answer on what needs to be done and what Chrysler would cover.

Give you all another update next week (week 3 of dealing with this and not being able to drive my new Jeep....)
I don't quite understand why u are trying to get carmax to pay for it. Its chryslers problem let them pay for it. (Of course that's just my .02)
Unread 04-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #138
Woodenya
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJaynocibuR View Post
I don't quite understand why u are trying to get carmax to pay for it. Its chryslers problem let them pay for it. (Of course that's just my .02)
Because when I went to my Chrysler dealer, I was told my '06 wasn't covered under the TSB and since I still had a 30 day Carmax warranty that they should cover the repair. I was told that my local Carmax contracts out any major Chrysler work to the local Chrysler dealer. I went to the Chrysler dealer first because I would rather them do such major work on my 7,000 mile new to me Jeep. Also, I was told by my Carmax salesman before the purchase that they had a "great 30 day warranty" and I could buy with confidence because Carmax would take care of “any” problem I found in the first 30 days. The documentation on the warranty back this up.. Once It was evident that Carmax wasn't going to solve my problem correctly, I went back to Chrysler with it. Sounds like they're going to take care of it for me, but it was also Carmax's responsibility to fix it under their warranty. I could still try and fight it out with Carmax, but that would probably be harder than trying to get Chrysler to cover the work.
'06 TJ [B]Rubi[/B] (Light Metalic Khaki) 6sp, Bought 3-10 w/6500 miles. 31 MTR's, UCF alum UHC T-case & engine skid w/ LoPro, Rokmen gas tank & steer gear skid, Ridler dif covers F/R, Warn 8274-50, Optima Yellow top, Pro Comp front 3/4" spacers, Currie 1" BL, Bomb Proof MML, Novak cable shifter, AGR Super Box 2, Warn rear bumper/tire carrier, Rubi locker mod/pumps moved to engine bay, OBA. Build to come...

Last edited by Woodenya; 04-09-2010 at 01:34 PM..
Unread 04-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #139
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Just picked up my 06 LJ Rubicon from the dealer , I took it there Monday late afternoon. They replaced the oil pump drive assembly and a sensor. I asked about the camshaft and the tech said it did not have any wear and then showed me pics he took with a micro video cam. He said he has done a couple of these in the last month or so. So it cost me $100 and I have a 12month- 12,000 mile warranty so I will check it again in 10 months since I only put about 3,000 miles a year on it. BTW the Jeep sure idles smooth now and did not have to break down the motor. Thank you Chrysler for doing the right thing.
popeyesides is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #140
jrhack11
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Uh oh, '06 tj, engine build date 8-26-2005, mfg date 11-05, number on the synchro is 105222reve, feel like I might have a problem. Guess I might have to pull it and check this weekend. Would it be smarter for me to just take it to the dealer and have them check for the wear? Thanks for any advice.
Unread 04-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #141
Nick B
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyesides View Post
Just picked up my 06 LJ Rubicon from the dealer , I took it there Monday late afternoon. They replaced the oil pump drive assembly and a sensor. I asked about the camshaft and the tech said it did not have any wear and then showed me pics he took with a micro video cam. He said he has done a couple of these in the last month or so. So it cost me $100 and I have a 12month- 12,000 mile warranty so I will check it again in 10 months since I only put about 3,000 miles a year on it. BTW the Jeep sure idles smooth now and did not have to break down the motor. Thank you Chrysler for doing the right thing.
How many miles did you have on it ?
Nick B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #142
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
How many miles did you have on it ?
13,600 miles.
popeyesides is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 10:49 PM   #143
tshively
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Talked the service writer at the dealer today he said that the cam gear wear/oil pump drive gear wear was with-in spec.?? I picked up the jeep after hours so I did not get a copy of service order. I definately want paper work from them stating that after their inspection that it is normal wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
I've been thinking about this problem. it seems as if the culprit is that new style oil pump drive assembly and Chrysler hasn't came up with a good viable fix and I doubt they will seeing as it only affects 2 model years that are no longer in production. the only real long term solution I see is an engine swap.
This is so true ^^^. Even those that have got the problem repaired with a new cam and OPD assembly will the problem be fixed? I have always wanted a hemi. No it is not because of the name it is because it is such a clean install in our late model TJ's. The good news is there seems to be more and more low mile hemi's showing up in the salvage yards everyday!
tshively is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #144
tjwoo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Build date is 5/06, haven't experienced any problems so far. 57k miles on it, and the number on the synchro is well out of the range posted.
Should I still pull and see?
tjwoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 11:51 PM   #145
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoo View Post
Build date is 5/06, haven't experienced any problems so far. 57k miles on it, and the number on the synchro is well out of the range posted.
Should I still pull and see?
I would. at the very least I would remove the cover and see how hard it is to rotate the OPD. from what I understand is the bushing starts to seize up and that is what drives the wear
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 01:32 PM   #146
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
I would. at the very least I would remove the cover and see how hard it is to rotate the OPD. from what I understand is the bushing starts to seize up and that is what drives the wear
That might explain the one I saw with the snapped off retaining bolt...
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:14 AM   #147
RockHound1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

How do you unplug the plug ? Do you push the red clip in or push down on the bottom tab ?
RockHound1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #148
Woodenya
2006 TJ Wrangler 

No need to unplug,
Unbolt the sensor.
Unread 04-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #149
ElJaynocibuR

D
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHound1 View Post
How do you unplug the plug ? Do you push the red clip in or push down on the bottom tab ?
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but if you have a hard time with the plug I would not attempt this procedure yourself. Take it to the dealership to have it checked.
Unread 04-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #150
Woodenya
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Update on my bad gear...
Went round and round with Chrysler this week. Bottom line is, no help... My Cam gear is said to be fine and only the CPS needs to be replaced. Parts and labor are around $325 so not the huge bill/repair I thought, so I'm just going to pay out of pocket to get it done. Part is backordered and the tech says my Jeep is ok to drive until they get the part in. I just hope the $325 will put an end to this saga...

Tags
2006 , 4.0 , camshaft , replacement , tj , warranty , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.